Skip to content
Maintankadin

Last Man Standing

Discus
Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:29 am

Last Man Standing

As I said in my other thread, I'm a casual player and relative noob. My guild has recently been attempting and failing normal mode tempest keep dungeons - botanica and mechanar. No laughing hardcore raiders please Embarassed

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ghostlands&n=Discus

The trash is easy, and my AOE aggro holding is fine. But when we come to the bosses all goes wrong. Usually what happens is I tank the main boss, but periodically lose aggro to DPS (8/10 times the bosses are immune to taunt or it just fails). The DPS in my guild are all infected with the BG bug currently sweeping my realm and so kitted in PVP DPS epics mostly. Before I know it I look around and all DPS is dead, the boss then aggros the healer and I'm stood there soloing a boss with 90% health and no mana.

I can see my guild are getting frustrated with my aggro holding abilities on bosses, just as I'm getting frustrated with epic DPS that pull aggro and then die in 3 hits. I cast salvation on all dps, use omen threat meter and have around 200 spell damage but the PVPers have huge epic dps which I just can't compete with. Any solutions?
Levantine
Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:34 am
PvP 'epics' are great for trash, because it dies fast, and they generally wont notice if they pull aggro for the last half a second of it's life.

On bosses, it's a very different story, and as a general rule of thumb, PvP gear is terribad. Focussed on crit and burst damage, instead of sustained damage.

Tell them to stop being lazy and gear for PvE, not PvP.... of course in a nice way.
_________________
Steg
Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 am
And then they will ditch the druid tank aswell?
Coz it doesn't matter who they put up there as tank.. if they can't watch their aggro and just keep blasting away they will pull aggro from any tank..

They should get Omen orso and make sure they keep below 110% thread (if melee) or 130% thread (if ranged)
_________________

Snake-Aes
Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:37 am
pvp gear/spec sacrifices endurance output for burst output. You'll feel the difference on long(boss) fights.
Same also makes it harder to control aggro. Make sure everyone has a threat meter installed. Omen is a very good one for that. They can't pass the bar named "Aggro pull". that just cannot happen. If they are cramping their dps because of that, it's the tank's threat gen that has to improve, it's not an excuse to steal aggro.


Also make them pay attention to each encounter's mechanics. Even simple fights end up in major failure if you don't respect the encounter.
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Marker
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:06 am
...and put Blessing of Salvation on them and Judgement of the Crusader on the boss if you're not already doing that.
Shalindreal
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 am
Yeah, people that focus on pvp over pve generally aren't the best when it comes to controlling themselves for all the reasons listed above. You honestly have more than enough spell dmg to be effective on these bosses, just be sure that you are judging crusader, pop ur wings at the start of very boss fight, go go captain america and frontload as much threat as you can.

On a good start, i can sometimes frontload 10-15k threat before the dps even touches the boss. That is a gap that isn't generally easy to close if you salv ur dps and keep up your spell rotation.
_________________
Dinedan
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:30 am
I would add that you look geared as if you were going to Kara. Shield of the Wayward Footman is great for uncrushable but in a normal 5-man you could be looking for threat, not defense/uncrush.

I'd swap in a couple spell damage pieces - even in lieue of one of your trinkets or that belt or Andormu's tear.

Lastly - dps who pull aggro fail. They only have two jobs; pew-pew and watch threat fer chrissakes.
_________________
Discus
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:16 am
Yeah, thanks all. Most of what I thought has been confirmed, I shall refer Guildmates to this thread.

I do use Salvation on everyone but me, start with wings up etc.

Dine - Yeah, I have been gearing up for tanking kara following the excellent advice on this site. I do have a couple of higher level shields, which I'll substitute in 5 mans, thanks. I also use superior wizard oil which ups my spell damage to around 230. I'm starting to wonder what chance we have in kara if we can't complete tempest keep 5 mans tbh. It's very frustrating when you've put in the research.

I'll try and persuade the PVPers to use omen as I do and hold back for longer. It's what I feared, their spikey DPS can produce 3-4k crits which attracts the boss who then flattens them as their epic pvp gear gives little protection.
Sweeney
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:20 am
They're still going to have to watch their aggro in Kara, but you'll be getting hit hard enough that you can go all out without going OOM -- that will help.

One option would be to tell them to wait 5 seconds before engaging, during which time you'll throw your shield, judge crusader, pop wings, and start your full threat rotation. Typically once I have a few K threat lead people aren't going to catch up.

As everyone else has said, they'd be dying in exactly the same way regardless of the tank they had. They outgear you so they have to use a tiny amount of brain power to compensate.
_________________
Sweeney: 70 Paladin, Runetotem
Shadraak
Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 pm
DPS control is key.....youv'e got better gear than i did when i wanted to tank bot.....so you should be more than fine.
_________________