Skip to content
Maintankadin

MT pallies

ajthebest
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 pm

MT pallies

Hey I currently have a feral druid, but i rarely get to MT. I am currently in Hyjal and BT. Even though our prot pally tanks less than me, I feel that his gear can handle the bosses. I just don't understand why I never see pally MTs : /. I really want to be a MT.. are pallies the way to go?

AJ
Uthadanin
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 pm
Basically Pallies can tank, and can tank very well. Being a paladin is a commitment to your gear and spending counltess hours farming rep to reach uncrushable when a warrior can run around naked and uncrushable...

That being said, I deleted my warrior toon b/c I couldn't stand him and now i'm rolling a druid alt.
_________________


Currently lvl 70, Prot Spec'd again ;p
ajthebest
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:18 pm
ok about the uncrushable thing. According to our prot pally, uncrushable isn't as hard as people put it out to be. Especially now that there are the new badge epics. One can get 35 from holy shield + libram, and its not too hard to get 67% from other avoidance.
Worldie
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:25 pm
I would address you to that big fat topic in General tab where you will be able to find amongs the rant why paladins rarely get to MT.
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=5742

That said, been there and done that. There's no reason in theory for a paladin not being main tanking except his guild not allowing him to do.
_________________

ajthebest
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:29 pm
Another thing our pally told me was that he has problems with 1v1 threat. Our other tanks can pull a 900-1k sustained, but he said that he can only pull 700 sustained on single targets, which really hinders his ability to MT.
Worldie
Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:52 pm
Dependin on his spelldamage, if he can't put out 1kish TPS on single target in t6 content, he lacks something. Unless he tanks with a warrior weapon and 0 spelldamage, then i'd understand.
_________________

ajthebest
Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:22 am
he has amani punisher.. he has decent gear, but we just started bt/hyjal so... Well back to my main topic! Should i create a prot pally if I want to MT?
fuzzygeek
Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 am
A prot pally is more than capable of MTing everything through T5, and is certainly advantaged for more than a few fights. At the T6 level the encounter design is such that it currently favors warriors.

In the future, who knows.

The concept of a "MT" is starting to become somewhat outdated, I'd argue -- strong guilds require a solid tanking core, not just one "main tank". The best configuration is 1 Warrior, 1 Paladin, 1 Feral Druid, then additional "backups" as necessary for the fights that require more than 3 tanks.

You should roll a class that you enjoy playing, and that your guild would benefit from you playing.
_________________
NarfJones
Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:37 pm
It's almost always an issue of who you know, and who needs what. It very rarely seems like people are getting turned down because they are a paladin. It's usually because a group already has an established tank. There are only a few reasons you would be put in the "MT" position.

1. You are in on the ground floor of the guild/have some authority in the guild

2. They have no other tanks that have been there any longer than you.

3. They have no tanks nearly as well geared as you.

4. You somehow manage to impress those in charge and the current "Main Tank" to an extent that they ask you to step in occasionally.

I put Main Tank in quotation marks because it's a questionable term. I know it's been covered by Lore and some others, but the idea that you're only important as a tank if you are the guy in the boss's crotch is hogwash. Don't feel like you're less important if you are the one gathering murlocs instead of tanking Morogrim, because those murlocs will kill the raid faster than he will. It's all perspective. I'm the go to tankadin in my guild. I have yet to tank a raid boss. I'm perfectly ok with that.
_________________

http://theorycraftingforlosers.wordpress.com/
NarfJones
Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:02 pm
[quote="ajthebest"]
fuzzygeek
Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:42 pm
If your intention is to raid lead as the tank, then yes, a paladin is a better option.

This is a gameplay mechanic issue as much as anything else -- paladin tanks will tend to have better situational awareness than warrior tanks because of the differences in the way the classes function mechanically -- e.g., warriors will tend to be nose deep in cooldowns for an entire fight, or their threat rotation screws up. Paladin tanks have an easier threat rotation, so have more time to look around the room and see 'sup.

Your mileage may vary, and other people may have different opinions; this is just what I've noticed from tanking on my warrior and paladin. A druid might work as well -- our GM is a druid and he still manages to lead raids. He has every key bound to mangle and just rolls his face across his keyboard ...
_________________
ajthebest
Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 pm
Lol. Yeh I have a druid too. The itemization is killing me though. Hyjal and BT is really a place for shield block / crush immunity.