Skip to content
Maintankadin

Leveling as protection

Vialent
Fri May 25, 2007 7:37 pm

Leveling as protection

The last two characters I've leveled to 70 were a Feral druid and an affliction warlock, so I may be spoiled...but my Paladin just hit 22 (spec'd into prot) and it is SLOW going. I'm not buff enough to do multi-pulls, it takes forever to kill things with any sort of mana efficiency, and walloping things with a 2h isn't much faster than a 1h.

So, assuming you have a large amount of money/resources to level this guy, how would you do it? I've heard that AoE becomes reasonable to do at lvl 30, and downright easy @ lvl 40, but is there anything (specific pieces of gear, immolation pots, etc) that are worthwhile to drastically speed up the process?

Any stats in particular I should be paying attention to?

I really appreciate the help Smile
Rhastago
Sat May 26, 2007 2:52 am
You do NOT go prot for leveling untill you've reached lvl 35-40~.
_________________
Vialent
Sat May 26, 2007 1:47 pm
Well, I kinda figured that by now, lol. I was looking for tips upon reaching the appropriate level to make up for the lost time Razz
Garov
Sat May 26, 2007 2:02 pm
I think somewhere around 30-35 you can get reckoning. That pretty much allows you to ae grind whatever you want. Altho I was spoiled, I levelled up with a pocket priest and was prot all the way.
_________________
Vialent
Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 pm
Yeah, I'll probably blackmail a friend into helping me with the process. So, you can maybe do it when you get Blessing of Sanctuary, definitely start doing multi-mob pulls upon getting Reckoning, and do even larger pulls when you get Holy Shield?
Jadlene
Sun May 27, 2007 2:50 pm
There is a great post on the paladin forums on AOE grinding. Text search is disabled at the moment or I'd link it for you.
_________________
Ulushnar
Tue May 29, 2007 6:11 am
I started prot, went ret for a little while, hated it and specced back to prot around level 30. It doesn't get really nice until you have 5/5 Reckoning at lvl 34, but it's still a ton of fun. Smile
_________________
http://www.wulfsblood.com - Wow Blog

Galoheart
Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:07 pm
I leveled Protection Spec ENTIRELY. Even when other people said it was slow to level. Slow maybe but, It didn't seem all that slow to me. However i gained the benefit from learning to fight entirely as a Protection Paladin from 0.

Things that i found help from having the entire benefit of leveling entirely as a Protec Paladin.

Wizzard Oil - Adds spell damage with SOR.
Mana Oil - Helps to get back mana, every bit helped me when i did (these come at various level to use as well as Wizzard Oil.
Carry dam good bandages or get good at First Aid.
*If you can get Pots for +Interllect, they help for Paladin leveling with low mana. Elixirs of Wisdom pots like those. Increase interllect also helps you to gain weapon skill faster as well as crit even at lower level.
Get a engineer to supply you with Dynamite thats usable to you.

Other than a good shield & say learning to use both a 1H and 2H effectively. Even as a Protec you can still use a 2H if you need to. But untill you get to around 35 or so for Recknoning it will be slower a bit i guess and less fun till then.
_________________


http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/

"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself"
TokenElf
Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 am
I had guildies help me with SM at level 33 when I could get the quest with the Sword of Omen. If Alliance you get an axe instead. If horde you get that weapon and the vile protector and you are an AoE grinding machine even before 40. At 38 I am running into the village in Duskwallow Marsh and enjoying ending a fight to grab loot from 6-8 sparkily bodies. Fast levelling is possible. Once you hit 40, You get insane speed boosts.

As it wass I went in a PUG to RFK and was #1 on damage meters because shield spike, Blessing of Sanctuary, consecration, and Sor/Jor was just pumping out enough damage to just take things down fast.

There's a guide in the US Paladin Forums about AoE grinding and it has spots for it. Very nice.
stalkerzero
Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:41 pm
I've been leveling Protection since level 1. I just started AoE grinding at level 33.

So far for gear I've been keeping mostly "of the Eagle" pieces mixed with a few good instance drops.

You can't go wrong investing in a nice one handed weapon (as fast as possible) with a good damage enchant and a shield with as much block as possible and a mithril or thorium shield spike. A lot of people say most of your damage is reflective (shield spike/ret aura/sanctuary) but I more often than not have had to rely on reckoning for my killer.

It's fun. If you have a 70 to supply your little paladin with it'll be easy.
_________________
Belldandi
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:11 am
For all those that say you been leveling prot spec since Lv 1, thats not true. Its level 10 fyi Razz
_________________
Belldandi <Dominion>
Darthpaxis
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:04 am

reply

PROTECTION is the only Spec!
IMHO
_________________