Skip to content
Maintankadin

Starting Karazhan Warrior Tank vs Prot Paladin

Equitas
Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 am

Starting Karazhan Warrior Tank vs Prot Paladin

Quick question here:

Assume you have two (respective) Equally geared Tanks one warrior and one Paladin, The Paladin is sitting on 260 Spelldmg unbuffed 12K HP unbuffed.

Assuming both tanks are Equally skilled players.

In terms of numbers what APS range can you expect from both in Karazhan, Will the paladin tank outagrro the Prot paladin Easily or is it the other way around, assuming healing is a non factor as well as DPS not being a factor taken into consideration. Which is the smarter choice for starting out tanking Karazhan, in a general consensus as well as in terms of APS.

If you can please provide numerical data ^^ (APS)
Frickit
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:16 am
I have only tanked kara up to curator. was me and a much better geared warrior. we switched the main tank role for different places. i was allowed to mt some bosses. i can tell you that maiden would be a serious problem without a warrior or druid. threat wise even well well outgeared i was able to take most aggro that i wanted if i didnt go balls out the warrior would steal it back. but i didnt lose anything to the dps, i think equally geared paladins are superior at generating threat, faster and hold it on more things.
_________________
Korath
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:36 am
I always take try and take a druid as the OT now as a prot warrior has nothing to do most of the time.

The trash untill after opera is very AOEy and you will shine as a tankadin (including dual tanking Attunmen). Maiden I normally let the OT tank as the silence is just annoying. I just throw on some healing gear and Blessing of Sac out of the repentance to help the healers out, spend the rest of my time cleasing.

Opera doesnt really go either way, for R&J a prot warrior is better I suppose becuase he can disarm R or Sheild bash J.

Shade is untankable so meh

Illhoof is better for tankadin becuase you can get him, kilrek and a load of imps with cons, poeple say you can do this without tanking him but I always OOM if im not taking his dmg aswell.

Netherspite is no longer a demon so makes no difference, need 2 tanks anyway

Curator doesnt really matter, burst aggro at evo is nice (pop wings, throw sheild, cons etc)

Chess... lol

Prince tankadins are advantage due to his fast attack speed and the ability to remain uncrushable, hes also a demon so nice aggro from exorsism.

Nightbane I would say warriors are more advantaged becuase of stance dancing out of fear but thats not too much of a problem now all priests have fear ward. We seem to be better at picking him up when he lands tho due to exorsism / cons

Think thats them all? Thats my opinion on the bosses anyway Smile
_________________


.::. Karak 70 Restoration Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Affliction Warlock .::.
.::. Silfen 66 Beast Hunter .::.
Pizbit
Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 am
What the heck is "APS"?
If you're asking about viability, both work great.
_________________
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Guillex
Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:36 am
I was thinking "Antilock Panic System," but I think Pape is on the right track.
_________________
Official thread killer

Equitas
Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 am
Ahh sorry guys for the APS lingo as we use that in German lingo, since a t and d sound pretty much alike when you say Dps or Tps so we use aggro per second Wink


Anyways thanks for the posters who contributed something valueable in this post ^^ which mainly is frickit and korath Razz

Equitas
kalbear
Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 am
I'd expect the paladin to have a healthy advantage in aggro in most fights. Almost all the bosses are demons or undead. A few are very fast-hitting bosses too. Both of these factors favor a paladin. You can also get more consumables that buff your threat further than what a warrior can do, so you can win that battle too.

The fights that disadvantage the pally really disadvantage the pally though. Maiden is not exorcisable, she silences and she makes you or someone else cleanse. And she hits hard and makes you want HS up, which is tough to do. Nightbane is exorcisable but fears often. Both of these fights heavily favor the warrior tank.
Katatonia
Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:53 pm
Nightbane doesn't fear very often at all. It's 30 seconds minimum cooldown, and he rarely uses it the moment it becomes available. Generally once per 25% phase for us, and we bring some pretty scrub dps along because they need the loot in Kara most. One priest can do it, and with two I never need to use my bubble to avoid a fear.

Maiden, I guess I kind of agree, but I've been solo tanking Kara the entire time I've been doing the place, and I don't have much trouble keeping Holy Shield up and removing as many Holy Fires as the priests despite the silence. I do hate the fight though, especially since I'm long since exalted and I still don't have her necklace, so I will probably start letting our bear tank her just to save myself the aggravation.
_________________
Tats
Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:40 am
the tank that is the best geared should be tanking. regardless of class.
_________________



Pizbit
Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:45 am
Uh, tats I don't mean to be an arse, but you mind editing your sig significantly? Listing 4 toons on top of each other is HUGE!
I have 5 70s too but I only put the foremost 2 in my sig and beside each other to save space so it doesn't look obnoxious Smile
_________________
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Khepera
Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:47 pm
Maiden is one of my favorite fights in kara, but that mostly comes from my early days of gaming as a fighting game button masher. Maiden lets me mash all the buttons I want, and as fast as I want. =) yeah, im a total dork

as far as TPS/APS a Paladin tank has the advantage in a majority of the fights in kara due to half of it being undead, or AoE. Not to mention our "gimmicks" that we can do in kara. (tanking attumne and midnight, tanking R&J, Tanking multpile arcane protectors...etc, etc)

on a side note, our main guild tank is taking a break leaving us with just 3 tanks for two groups. Guess who gets to one tank Kara this week. ME!

-Khep =)
Twisted Evil
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug%27thol&n=Khepera
gworroll
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:20 pm
Bunch of largish trash pulls.

Demons.

Undead.

All else being equal, Paladin tank.
_________________