Skip to content
Maintankadin

Maximizing single target DPS

Athon
Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:28 am

Maximizing single target DPS

I fought Aran with my guildies yesterday. We didn't get him down, but it was close call, wipe at 4%. I was pretending to be a DPS, wearing my soloing gear which has maybe +500 holy damage. This didn't work very well, my DPS sucked because he doesn't melee. If I want to maximize DPS to a lone non-meleeing target, should I use ret gear and seal of blood instead?

I'll probably heal next time in this fight though.
Frickit
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:30 am
use seal of vengeance its fun
_________________
Dorvan
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:37 am
Yeah, generally healing is the most useful thing you can do on Aran when it's progression content for you.
_________________
Neuron
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 am
He has the opportunity to melee if all spell schools are locked out, which happens when his fireball, frostbolt, and arcane missiles are all interrupted one after another in a short period of time. He hits for something like 500-5000 depending on the armor of the target, which can sometimes be bad when the target is a rogue a squishy warlock or mage. He will also sometimes move out of the center to chase the highest on agro at this point to get into melee range to hit them at least once.

I have seen this melee attack kill someone, but this was many months ago with a bunch of undergeared people learning the fight.

Anyways, I suggest that you make sure that, if you are healing and there is no "tank" so to speak, that no one interrupts his arcane missiles, or you risk someone taking a melee hit which can sometimes be bad.

If no one interrupts the missiles he will stay in the center and not melee anyone and it is definitely better to help heal at this point than worry about doing damage or remaining top threat in the case of a melee attack. It is almost impossible to remain top threat because you will run out of mana very quickly.

It also makes sense to heal because the damage output of this fight during a progression attempt is greater than normal and disproportionate with the damage output on the raid for most of the other parts of the instance. Take advantage of being a hybrid class here, don't worry about tanking, and if he does end up meleeing and killing someone, blame the rogue or warrior or whoever interrupted missiles.

This is a good practice anyways as interrupt abilities are used throughout the rest of your raiding career and its a good idea to make sure the interrupters eventually stop sucking.
_________________
Guillex
Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:18 am
I have my trusty 2handedbluepallymacewhosenameicannotremember with Savagery on it.

And I play whack-an-aran.

It's fun keeping JoW up for people ... or JoL if it's a melee oriented group.
_________________
Official thread killer

Tahl
Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:36 am
Definitely heal over dps. It's very valuable on Shade, especially since everyone is having to constantly move around. Give the healers some help and they'll love you for it. Plus it gives you an excuse to pick up any plate healing drops that no one else needs... I'm at nearly 1500 +healing as Prot spec for Shade. Laughing

Tips: use only Flash of Light, and downrank it when you can. Holy Light will drain your mana really fast, and it may be wasted to overhealing if another heal lands first. Drink mana pots as soon as you hit half mana. Don't worry about JoW/SoW or you'll end up silenced. Kings on everyone over BoL, and BoW on yourself.

Very helpful -- Shade will target someone and start casting. Target him, then click his target (or make a macro that always finds his target-of-target) and start spamming heals right as his spell goes off. You'll react faster than just watching for life bars to drop.
gworroll
Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:48 am
Heal, cleanse and BoF the slows, fire off some Exorcism or Avenger's Shield if you can spare the mana.
_________________
Candiru
Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 am
I always wear full ret gear and smash him about with Seal of Blood. Melee do a lot of damage on the aran fight, as you don't have to move around much. I keep up JoW and can do not last on damage metres damage!
_________________
kalbear
Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:46 am
Yeah, you should be able to switch gear and SoB him with a big 2hander and put out respectable damage. Not great, but respectable. Still, I think you should switch to healing on the fight. Tank the elementals when they spawn too.