Skip to content
Maintankadin

Need more threat!

Lakirby
Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:05 am

Need more threat!

I've just joined a new guild, and moved up from tanking in Karazhan and heroics to SSC/TK tanking, and I've noticed that my threat generation is lackluster compared to other tanks. I have no problems picking up adds on Morogrim or Solarian, and usually I can get Leotheras back fine after he changes form or does whirlwind, but my threat was horrible on a late-night Void Reaver kill last night. I have about 260 unbuffed spell damage, and I'm currently grinding honor for the Gladiator's Gavel. which would put me to about 330. I'm also going to be up for T4 shoulders very soon (still in dungeon set 3, QQ), so I'm working towards getting more spell damage because I know that my Continuum Blade is up for being retired soon. What I pot for is situational, I use Flask of Blinding Light when I need threat on stuff like VR and Leo, I use Flask of Fortification when I'm getting smacked around a bit more, and I always use superior wizard oil on my weapon.

Any suggestions as to how I can generate more threat?
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 4/5 MH 4/9 BT
Michael J. Tritter
Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:07 am
Whats your casting order?

I know if mine is off, my threat is destroyed completely.
_________________


I'm not looking for sincerity, I'm looking for humiliation
Lakirby
Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:12 am
If I'm pulling, AS -> HS -> JoR -> SoR -> consecrate, if I'm putting up JoW I'll usually put it up on the 2nd or 3rd rotation to make sure I've built up a bit of a threat lead. On longer fights, I'll start stacking SoV after I've built a decent threat lead, then quickly switching to go SoR/JoR then back to SoV to keep stacking the DoT.

Had some awkwardness last night due to somehow having 3 mobs sheeped at my feet in TK Evil or Very Mad - I couldn't consecrate at all in that pull, and my threat sucked to an insane degree.
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 4/5 MH 4/9 BT
Aerron
Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 am
Food buffs? Crunchy serpent, blackened basilisk, a few others are a free 23 Spell damn. If you're not using a Stam food buff already, might as well.

Also, I was told back in my early tankadin days that the spell damage levels needed to be something like this:
200 -> Kara Level
250 -> Gruul's/Mags
300 -> TK/SSC

Obviously that's just sort of a rough estimate guideline, but it's alway served me well. So maybe once you get those pieces you mentioned, your problems will evaporate.
_________________


I think my cat is a communist. He's always talking to me about Mao.
Lakirby
Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 am
I tend to alternate between Spicy Crawdad and Blackened Basilisk as appropriate. I go for stamina food more often though, but I've noticed I'm matching or going past the MT warrior in terms of health buffed up anyway, so I suppose sacrificing the stam for the sake of some extra threat until I get my gavel and my T4 shoulders would work.

*prays that Maulgar plays nice this week*
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 4/5 MH 4/9 BT
Lastspartan
Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 pm
VR is always a touchy fight when it comes to paladin threat simpy becuse your fighting threat against (usually) 2 other tanks that are rage baised (most guilds only having one prot paladin). The aoe melee damage VR does gives them almost an unlimited amount of rage to work with, and a good warrior knows how to use it. My advise is to go in, count to about 10-15, then pop your wings, so as to be able to use them again later. Always have consecration down. though not very mana effecent, it helps.

As I said, VR is usually pretty weird...I've had him stay on me twice in a row because my threat was so high one time, and another, not even look at me.
_________________
Frickit
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 am
I up seal, as, cons, hs, judge, HoJ, nap zzzzzz, cons, hs, judge, as
_________________



I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.
kalbear
Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:45 pm
The more the better for heroic, but in general it's just a matter of who you're running with. If you're running with DPS that's geared for T5, you need T5-level threat. There's no specific value that you can point at and say 'yes, I can tank a heroic and keep aggro'. Keeping aggro is entirely a function of the other members of the group.
Aleriya
Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:56 pm
If you are getting hit, it can be helpful to trade dodge/parry for more block value to increase your threat. More blocks means more Holy Shield threat and also more threat from Earth Shield/PoM/Lifebloom, etc. Smile

If you are OT . . . they don't call us Pot Paladins for nothing.
_________________