Skip to content
Maintankadin

Issues with taunting

Zealis
Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Issues with taunting

I was tanking the Bear boss in ZA today and my righteous defense was being resisted alot, and I was wondering what kinda of/how much hit I should have to avoid this happening anymore.
_________________
Zealis Level 70 Paladin of Lightinghoof
Farook
Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:58 pm
I'd say there'll be always the chance off a taunt to be resisted, unless you really maximise your hit rating (by talents and/or equipment). So for the records:

Just like a melee attack, you need a total of 9% hit against a level 73 boss.
With 3% from precision, that makes a total of 15.8 x 6 = 94.8 = 95 hit rating to hit the cap.

I do have 3/3 on Precision, and for the bear boss I always equip the "Enchanted Thorium Torque". Killed him 6 times now, and had only 1 taunt resisted by now.
_________________
Worldie
Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:01 pm
As i said somewhere else, i have precisely 0 chance to hit (not even precision) and never got a miss on the live servers.

Uh well, maybe i'm just lucky.
_________________

Zealis
Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:46 pm
It was really bad, I was tanking him in his "human form" and the taunt resisted 2-3 times if I recall. Until that fight I have never had it resisted, so idk. If it happens anymore though I'll look into getting some hit on my gear. Thank you both!
_________________
Zealis Level 70 Paladin of Lightinghoof
gworroll
Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Hmm. I hadn't thought of this, and my guild will be starting ZA soon(week or two at most probably).

I may throw my Scryers Bloodgem into my second trinket slot, given the importance of a good tank switch on this fight.
_________________
Worldie
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:00 pm
Hint: Taunt is affected by Melee hit, not spellhit Wink
_________________

Worldie
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:25 pm
Taunt has actually always been affected by spellhit, got changed only recently (2.3 or 2.2, cant really remind) to go on melee hit.

Was quite a boost overally since it went from 17% base resist to 8%, and also a bigger boost to warriors and druids who already have hit rating on their gear anyway. Ironically, we got in the same patch Precision affecting melee and spell hit toghether.
_________________

Arthaal
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:38 pm
It was 2.3... so we also got a boat load of new gear all shiny and itemized with the now nearly useless spell hit Sad I really wish the inter-departmental memos actually got read.

Seriously, that stuff affects what, seal hits and judgements? (which, in a bizzare twist, are actually considered melee attacks for the purpose of BoP - no further explanation from Blizz except some vague allusion to underlying game mechanics).

They should really make all our threat abilities melee based and switch that spell hit to melee hit, expertise or straight SD and save us all a lot of grief. Those badge pieces looked a lot better when they meant fewer of those darn "resist taunt" messages.
_________________
Soltyr
Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 am
Until now I got just one resist on our first runs (odd, that time also the warrior got a taunt resist on next pull), then never seen a resist.
Usually I tank the bear, the warrior tanks the human form.

Though, after this event, I've started to use taunt more carefully.
What I mean is to wait 1sec after the boss does shift form.
Nothing strange if the missed taunt did come from an early use,
in unlucky moment when the boss had not a target while shapeshifting.

ps: just a few sec b4 the bear phase I switch on Blazeguard
_________________
Darklordkatt
Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:38 am
REsists happen even our guilds maintanks have problems. BEst you can do is max out hit if it's a problem and besure to ahve some flavor of raid warning to let people know it has been resisted so you can pick it back up.
_________________
70 Prot Pally
Muahahaha 70 Warlock
Kalishnakov 60 Hunter
Aerron
Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:06 am
Tanked the bear boss tonight, and my Taunt worked fine.

However, my warrior OT, who was tanking the Troll phase while I had Bear phase got his Taunt resisted alot. Maybe there's some sort of bug with one of the phases, or maybe just unlucky.

Or maaaaaaybe .. he's trying to get me killed!!

Regardless, his plot was foiled and we won, collecting our phat lotos of leather dps belts ... /sigh.
_________________


I think my cat is a communist. He's always talking to me about Mao.
Frickit
Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:13 pm
i recently went from more than 30 hit rating to zero.
i used to never get a missed taunt or shield
i now get it a lot
hit rating is important imo
if i were to gem some in possibly how much would u reccomend?
is one +8 gem enough or maybe two?
_________________