Skip to content
Maintankadin

Undergeared at lvl70 and 5 man runs

Nemuria
Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 am

Undergeared at lvl70 and 5 man runs

Hello,

I am on Illidan(Eu-Fr) and starting to dedicate this year to my protect paladin. I really enjoy tanking and still learning.
Yet I have successfully tanked Steam Vault and part of Shattered Halls, Arcatraz. My main concern is my lack of spell dmg and hitpoints (+230 spell, 9k5 hp unbuffed) and it needs patience to get beyond.
Most players are running heroics and SSC - and we keep our epics whenever we go... So dps warrios or druid have a lot more HP and armor than me, usually taking the tank spot on 5 man instances. Though they go down fast on boss requiring me to assist heal and using laying hands "I win button". I am oftenly offtanking as well since they can't old healer threat.
How did you get through the first step ?Do I need to respec Holynoob first to get descend gear?

NB: top whisp I receive is "heal?" and second "need tank pr heroic" (french people are talking english now XD)
Nemuria
Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:28 am
Actually I checked while at work and didn't have time to answer.
Truly I am just whining! this toon is progressing faster than my main hunter. The gear section point me some useful items I skipped (like the shadowmoon shields)
I am going back to the basics and keep reading (toon is just at 3rd day played 70)
gworroll
Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 pm
You have plenty of spell damage, at least through Kara and probably Gruul/Mag, provided the DPS you have along isn't stupid.

Health is a bit low. When I dinged 70 I actually used some PvP gear for tanking some instances to collect real tank gear. This is not a viable long term solution, but the PvP gear does come with buttloads of stam and the resilience will help before you reach 490 defense.
_________________
Erendis
Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:34 am
I am also a new 70 with less than half spell damage you have and I have not had any issues keeping off of healer aggro and I haven't been taking that much damage.

I don't think it is a gear issue at this point. Without seeing what sort of threat rotation you are using it would be hard to pinpoint what the issue is. At the very least a quick fix would be to salv the healer. I haven't had to do that but it may very well help out?
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog

Nemuria
Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:48 am
* deleted as posted too long*
It is not me but the feral that had problems. Yet I still can't compete with a 11K-12Khp dps.
The PVP option is a good choice. I cleaned Shadow Labs yesterday and the paladin healer talked me about the gladiatior main hand (which seems as far the best tanking weapon to start). What is likely sad one dps said I was the first real tankadin he has seen in two lvl 70.

SL opened me the quest to kill Varedis in Shadowmoon, so tonight new weapon will give me about +300 spell (or let downgrade on spell items).

Yet I have been facing threat issue, but it was likely 'stupid' DPSing. I put the damage meter now. Most dps are under 400dps. It hinted me some are just hiting to soon or to hard before I set the ceiling high enough.
Confirmed as I ran Shettek with fresh 70, stealing me threat while I was top at damage meter (undeads there). Which is inconsistent unless:
- they hit the wrong mob
- they hit right after me with the most powerful attack


I am someone that needs practice and progression before being good. I couldn't in any case face Attunment just showing up with my theorycraft gears and spec. It is a choice then didn't have to complain.
Eanin
Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:43 pm
Get Superior Wizard oil for threat. Any spelldamage I have is pretty much accidental, and I hold aggro just fine.

As for gear, check out the guides in the gear forum.
_________________
Nemuria
Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 am
I finally didn't get a descent tanking weapon so I purchased 1st Crystalforged available.
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32660 Crystalforged Sword

It is easier in the beginning to get the Crystalforged sword (if you can afford it), allowing you to grind more instance than CoT only.
Just same day Shadow Labs sword dropped. It is a little better for 5man with the spell stats.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27905 – Greatsword of Horrid Dreams (l70, last boss of Shadow Lab)

I can still use Crystalforged for stamina fight and for future raiding.
Following the advice, I stacked Superior Wizard oil, using them when DPSers outgear me. It is worth it when you are working toward effective health and running out of gold for enchants.

my unbuffed stats are now varying
10K5-11K HP
11K5-12K armor
180-250 spell
80-90% avoidance with HS
470-490 defense
~200 block value

ppl are happy for normal runs (or it is just the tankadin effect as a descent warrior would seldom be congratuled). I am looking towards heroic but wondering if I need to run lower KZ before.
Balanor
Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:06 am
No, you don't need to run Kara before you can try heroic. I have stats very simlar to yours and have successfully done the following heroics without ever setting foot in Karazhan:

Ramparts
Mech
Botanica
Slavepens
Underbog

The last couple heroic runs have been all guildie runs too with most of us still working towards gear. I too was nervous about starting heroics but have found that the stats you have and I have are more than enough for the easier heroics. Granted, I can't AoE tank like I do for normals and require a bit more CCing but its still very much doable.
_________________