Skip to content
Maintankadin

So i just dinged 64...

Worldie
Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:39 pm

So i just dinged 64...

My human alt just dinged 64, and i got this SoV that i've read being this great tool for tanking.

I went to the first mob i've seen and i didnt want to believe my eyes on the TPS (and actually, DPS) of the seal. Now without considering my whining about not having this on my main, i was wondering if some of the fellow alliance tankadins can explain me how to get the best out of it.

My current thoughts are like just swinging with it, eventually use crusader on the start, or JoR if i want some snap aggro.

I have also another question.
I currently have this weapon: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=24361
It's 2.2 and i never experienced stacks wearing off in the couple of istances i've tanked. Does this change so much with faster weapons (1.8 like lvl 70 rep rewards)?

I also would like if someone could tell me how this stacks with spelldamage, since i couldnt find any reliable post around, maybe i just searched the wrong things tho.
_________________

Beltaine
Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 am
I use the same weapon and have never had a problem with stacks of SoV falling off either.

In fact, my last few instances have gone something like

AS -> SotC -> JotC -> SoV -> HS -> Cons -> JoV -> SoV repeat...

(Spiking to 1200 TPS several times and averaging around 650 TPS according to Omen)

I could see a few bad proc rolls and a well timed Stun might make stacks of SoV fall of, but so far, I haven't had that happen. It pretty much makes a stack 8 out of 10 swings.
_________________
koldawne
Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:39 pm
Ok I just got this spell as well but I'm having some issues trying to figure it out. Before anyone calls me a noob I'm going to say that I have been playing about 3 months and my pally is my first character in WoW so I AM very new but trying very hard to learn.

When I got the spell I went right off to try and figure out how it worked by using it. I read the tooltips but I still don't understand the whole mechanics of actually applying it - much less how it works.

I tried to ask someone, actually I sent a /t to just about every 70 paladin who was on last night on my server asking if they had a moment to answer a few questions for me and specifically if they were prot. I had a very nice one come down to honor hold to show me and try and explain it to me but alas I'm unable to grasp what I'm sure is a simple concept Sad

My confusion lies in the fact that when I cast the seal it 'looks' like I dont actually have to judge it, just cast and hit the mob at least once. When I hit the mob then the little counter shows up. At this point do I even have to judge it? or can I just switch to righteousness and judge that like I usually do? I tried to not judge at all until I saw 5 counters but then when I hit judgement the counters just stayed there and nothing looks like it happened..aren't they supposed to disapear?

My normal rotation is: preload SoC, AS, Judge, HS, Conscecrate, up Righteousness, Judge..rinse repeat. How do I get this in there? Do I have to Judge it..I am seriously confused as how best to use this spell.

As I said, I've only been playing 3 months. Thus far I'm doing well as a tankadin but I just need some help figuring this one out in some simple way that maybe will sink into my head.
_________________
Worldie
Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:20 pm
I'll explain you how it works.

When you take it, think like if you have a poison on your weapon. Each attack you do has a chance of applying the dot. Each time you see that yellow light on the mob, the seal procced, and applied one stack.
If there are already 5 stacks on the mob, the proc will deal a little amount of damage (30-40 if i'm not wrong) and refresh the duration of the stack.

Now to the judgement.
The judgement works like this: it deals 120 damage per stack on the mob. If the mob has 2 stacks of Holy Vengeance (the dot of SoV), he will take 240 damages (well, + spelldamage bonuses ofc)

I found out that the best way for me in tanking is opening with a JoR, then popping SoV, and then judging it and resealing everytime i want. I tend to wait until 4-5 stacks before actually judging it.

If i'm soloing, i preload SoCr, judge, use SoV and then not judge until it's at 5 stacks.

P.s. there's nothing wrong in not understanding it, everyone except Vanifae has been noob once !
_________________

koldawne
Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:31 pm
Ok, the poison thing makes sense. BUT when I used it trying to figure out what it did and I waited for 5 counters and then used judgement they didnt disapear. Nothing happened [maybe damage, but nothing I could tell] the stack with the counters just ran out of time and disapeared. I was using judgement on it. Do i have to cast SoV again and judge that one?
_________________
Worldie
Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:33 pm
The stacks can be refreshed by other SoV procs, meaning that you have to keep SoV active if you don't want the DoT disappearing.

Judging Seal of Vengeance will do that 120 damage per stack. All other judgements work like usual. Also note that judging Vengeance does not make the stack disappear as long as you reseal and keep hitting the mob with it.
_________________

koldawne
Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:52 pm
From what it did when I tried:

I opened with SoCr & judged which then put the little icon for JoCr on the mob, then I cast SoV and when I hit the mob it put the little pink counter icon on the mob. So technically there are now 2 active seals on the mob - which I thought wasn't possible.

Now, I put up SoR - there are still 2 seals that have been judged on the mob. I keep hitting and I get more counters. I JoR and the way it understood it there should be something happening..nothing did, the counters just stay at 5 and eventually just time out. Is it doing something that I can't see or am I doing it wrong [which probably I am].

I don't understand how I am supposed to use it when in a group. I 'have' to judge and re-up immediately to keep threat. If I use SoV I can't judge everytime its up because ill break the stack - but then when i was doing it on the piggy's in HH it didn't , but nothing happened. I'm seriously frustrated by my lack of understanding of this!
_________________
Worldie
Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:14 pm
No you did not understand correctly.

Seal of Vengeance puts a dots named Holy Vengeance, it's not another Judgement and doesn't follow the judgement rule. It does not get refreshed when you hit.

I decided to make it even more clear:

You start with Crusader:


Then you Judge it: you lose the Seal, and the Judgement debuff appears on the mob:


At this point, you use Seal of Vengeance and hit the mob with it:


After a couple of hits, the seal procs, and you get the Holy Vengeance debuff on it. More following hits will refresh the duration and increase the number of stacks (up to 5); this is the yellow effect that means that the Seal has procced:


If you want, you use Judgement of Vengeance: the Seal disappears, and you hit the mob for some holy damage. This does not cause the DoT (Holy Vengeance) to disappear:


Now, since you want to keep the DoT ticking, you reseal SoV and keep hitting him. The hits will keep refreshing the DoT damage. If you use SoR, you will not be refreshing the Holy Vengeance and it will disappear at the end of its duration.
_________________

Invisusira
Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:40 pm
Basically:

As long as you have SoV active, you have a chance to put a DoT on the mob. This DoT can stack up to 5 times.

When you JUDGE SoV, you're dealing more damage for each time the DoT is on the mob. So if you have 3 stacks on it, your judgement will do more damage than if you only have one, but less than if you have 5. The stack does not go away when you judge.

If you do not keep attacking the mob, or if you get unlucky and the seal does not proc a few times in a row, the stack will wear off.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Aertho
Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 am
Further, I've read that the "luckiness" of the SoV proc is greater with slower weapons. —But I've not had the chance to experiment.

I'm considering either to purchase the Gavel of Unearthed Secrets (speed 2.7 I believe) or wait for the next AV weekend and go for the S1 Gladiator Gavel (speed 1.8 I believe). Rather than make another post specifically about gearing woes...

I know I'm better off with a Gladiator Gavel, and will probably go for it, but I'd appreciate opinions and findings with regard to the effectiveness of using either of those weapons with Seal of Vengeance.
Zhelari
Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:52 am
Sometimes I debate leveling my 60 alliance paladin. There seems to be alot more/better oppurtunites out there for alliance paladins. But the alliance community I dealt with for 6ish months left a horrible taste in my mouth.

SoV seems like a neat toy. Maybe I'll level up to 64 and mess around with it.
_________________
Zhelari - 70 BE Tankadin - Skullcrusher (US)
Gamingdevil
Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:58 am
It is a great toy, but it's frustrating if you can't keep it up. Yesterday I was tanking in ZA and every time I got to 5 stacks, it refused to proc anymore and it fell off. Usually ended up switching to SoR then...

PS: helping a little misunderstanding out of the world, a noob is someone that thinks or likes to show that he knows what he's doing/talking about, but doesn't. A newbie is someone new to the game and therefor might not know what he's doing/talking about.
_________________
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Dazhbog
Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:13 pm
Re: SoV, I usually start with a SoR -> JoR combo on the pull, for a straight aggro boost early on (this being on the main kill target), then judge either wisdom or Crusader, depending, then follow by either a couple of SoR/JoR rotations (if I need very quick aggro) or go straight into SoV -> Build to 3 -> JoV -> build to 5. If the SoV stack falls, I generally toss in a SoR/JoR to get some lead time to rebuild the stack.
_________________