Skip to content
Maintankadin

Healing as Prot

Alchameth
Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Healing as Prot

I'm wondering how viable i could be as healer being Prot spec'd
Right now I have a 5/41/0 build and know I can heal some previous things, but say could I keep up healing ST and clear it with a good low to mid 50s group?

Just trying to open some options when I want to run one.

I have aquired a decent heal set that puts me at about 4300 mana (unbuffed) and 140+ to healing and I think 9 or 10 MP5 with regen at about 130 (if I remember correctly)
_________________
Michael J. Tritter
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 pm
I really doubt it, but thats my personal opinion.

I was a healer before being a tankadin and I have a +914 healing set, I can heal anything thats not a heroic.
_________________


I'm not looking for sincerity, I'm looking for humiliation
Erendis
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:26 pm
You probably could but you won't know untill you find out. I healed from time to time at that level as well. Don't be afraid to use cloth gear and such and don't worry about +healing as much as mana. BRD can be pretty hard but everything else below it is pretty easy.
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog

Dorvan
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:30 pm
Spec doesn't really place any limitations on you until you get to endgame, it just makes your chosen role easier. You need appropriate gear of course, but I wouldn't hesitate to heal anything as full prot until you got to heroics.
_________________
Palladia
Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:15 pm
I used to heal raids as Retribution spec preTBC in some more easygoing guilds and I never had problems, I can't see why not, especially if you have an SP in your group your heals will be very nice with the appropriate gear.
_________________
Antagonizing
Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:00 am
Fights are pretty short in 5 mans, and a good amount of the points you put into holy (after the first 13 points) are all about mana conservation. I've raid healed Gruul and Mag with a 13/48/0 spec as well as main tanked Kara (not anything beyond with that spec.) I don't think you need any points in holy to heal regular 5 man instances if your gear is half decent (around 1000 healing at 70) If you can finagle 13 points into holy I'd go for that if you're serious about healing and also tanking.

The only other concern I'd have is being uncrushable. It's hard enough to reach uncrushability before raids, let alone without the 5 points in ret for the extra parry... but once again, this shouldn't be an issue for regular level 70 dungeons. And you can always try it out and respec.

There are lots of cookie cutter specs out there, and yes, there are talent points that can be better spent when you start raiding, but until you're there do what works best based on who you do runs with the most.
_________________
Sanity is not statistical.
-George Orwell
Aerron
Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:21 am
Up to Heroics I tanked every 5man as Fury on my warrior, and I've healed a good number of those same instances as Prot on my paladin.

As Dorvan said, spec really shouldn't be a consideration until you're looking at raid instances, maybe some of the heroics.
_________________


I think my cat is a communist. He's always talking to me about Mao.
Alchameth
Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:56 am
Cool, thanks.

I am slowly working on better heal gear, I use a pretty much full cloth/leather set for healing. I keep my shield right now because I don't have something better for off-hand but it does have some INT and MP% +4 on it so it helps. I am working on getting some help from some friends that are all lvl 70 to run with me through a few places so I can get some uncontested cloth upgrades to help my healing out.
_________________
Eanin
Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:16 pm
I have a healing set. I have three words...erm...letters: MP5. Erm, two letters and a number?

Basically, we lose a lot of our mana efficiency without Illumination. I make it up by having my heal set be very, very mp5 heavy. Doing that, I find I heal very well, even in fights like Prince and Gruul.
_________________
kalbear
Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 pm
I wouldn't want to go into a heroic with an offspec healer. It'd either take too long or simply be a wipefest. Not because they wouldn't have the talents, but because they're simply not likely as experienced.
Uthadanin
Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:24 pm
There is plenty of healing gear in plate armor. Been 70 for a week and at +1070, buffed i'm knocking on 1200's door, and double trinket'd (as I am in kara) i can top 1500 in a pinch... Is it a ton, no. But being full holy spec'd has its advantage's while healing. Even in pvp as well.
_________________


Currently lvl 70, Prot Spec'd again ;p