Skip to content
Maintankadin

Statements and Questions about SoV

kufra
Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:34 am

Statements and Questions about SoV

I've tried to figure out if SoV can be usable i raid, on some longer fights.
but sometimes the 5 stacks i've got is being lost. so where is the problem with keeping SoV up?

i have read those posts:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=3657&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
where Joanadark states
"SoV Dot can be partially resisted, but not miss-resisted.
SoV 5 stack hit can be miss-resisted (not 100% sure about partial resist, the numbers are too small to tell) "
and
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=3678
Dorvan says:
"Hit rating -- reduces the frequency of melee attack misses, affecting both our white damage and seal damage (since misses do not proc seals). Averger's Shield and (as of 2.3) Righteous Defense misses are also reduces by hit rating. "
"Expertise rating -- reduces the chance for our melee attacks to be dodged/parried, having similar effects on our threat to hit rating. Does not affect AS/RD, but does reduce incoming damage slightly due to fewer parries. "

So how to keep SoV up all time?
We need to get +hit and +expertise so our melee hits boss all time, cause if we don't we won't apply any seal at all.
and second is where i need help. do we need some kind of +spellhit? or is it something else we need so SoV will always be up?
Invisusira
Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:45 am
SoV being applied is affected by +hit.

SoV doing damage once it is applied is affected by +spell hit.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
kufra
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:56 pm
thanks Gerilith

but then back to question 1.
how do we have the debuff up all time?

"Therefore it is [1-dodge]*[1-parry]*0.91*0.83*(20/(60/weaponspeed)) chance per swing to apply (without talents and/or equip with melee/spell hit)."
this for me gets to
0,7553*1/3*(weaponspeed)
so having a weapon with speed...
1,6 = 0,4%
1,8 = 0,45%

i know i've seen this mats somewhere else?

so with no +hit and +spellhit what is the chance to miss SoV 7-8 strikes in a row?
Brute
Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:26 am
Its pretty hard to keep your SOV up full time from what I've found. Yes, it would be nice to be able to pop wings, judge crusader, drink a destruction pot, and have your dot last the whole fight, but good luck with that.

This is coming from a few different boss fights: Gruul, where when he does the knock-around-turn-you-to-stone thing, you have probably only ONE hit to refresh your stack, and that's if you hurry. If it doesn't proc, kiss your stack good-bye. Also, VR. He knocks you back a LOT. This shortens the time you have to get back in there and refresh your stack. Then there's Nightbane. He flies away 3 times during the fight. Lurker submerges and purges himself of all debuffs.

Basically, there aren't just a whole lot of bosses where you get to lay down roots and melee him the entire fight. On fights where you can, keeping your stack up is quite easy. Despite this, SoV is the most mana-efficient seal, as well as the hardest hitting, at least at my level of spell damage. If I lose my stack, I just judge Righteousness and then start building the stack again.
_________________
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uther&n=Brute]
Dragonzbane
Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 am
I use SoV on:
Lurker (OT)
FLK (Hunter)*
Leo
Vashj (OT)
VR
Solarian

I use SoR on:
Hydross (Adds)
FLK (Pet)*
Al'ar (Adds)

I use no seal during Tidewalker or I target him with Wisdom up while tanking the adds.

As far as the seal dropping, it's not really an issue during Lurker, FLK, Vashj or Solarian. For FLK I switch over to SoR/JoR when I need to grab a pet after the spawn then go back to SoV/JoV on the Hunter.

It's also not an issue during Leo because there's enough time between transitions to make sure you have a 5 stack up and after the whirlwind I use AS.

As far as VR goes, I may lose it once or twice but even if I get knocked back which might happen 2 or 3 times I can still get back to VR in time to keep the stack up.
_________________
Dragonzbane - 70 Paladin - Khadgar
Dragonzbane
Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:00 am
<deleted>
_________________
Dragonzbane - 70 Paladin - Khadgar
mclem
Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:41 pm
One thing I thought was occurring today in ZA - I stress that currently, this is merely a theory - is that as I was spamming Holy Shield, it was starting to look like Holy Vengeance refused to proc. When I let HS cool naturally, Holy Vengeance looked to be ticking up again.

Is it possible that it can't proc if the GCD is up, or in some similar situation?
mclem
Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:15 pm
Yes, I just tried some experiments, and what I suggested appears to be complete and utter rubbish. Ah, well.