Skip to content
Maintankadin

WoW Pally #1

Uthadanin
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:13 am

WoW Pally #1

I have been playing WoW for about 3 weeks now. I have a 39 prot pally and I have some questions.

Where should I be at stat wise.
---I have ~3200 armor with Devotion Aura on, 22xx health, 16xx mana. I have been in parties with a 37 pally who had 2500+ health. I am guessing that my #'s are just average being my first toon and all. I will most likely be 40 sometime later today, and I have plate armor already made from my guildies.

Should I use 1H weapon and sheild all of the time or just when in a dungeon. I seem to be taking out my Ravager (2h axe) or Mograine's Might (2H mace) quite a bit especially in SM graveyard, library and armory. But when Solo'ing razorfen (the lower lvl'd instance) I find myself relying on the extra armor.

I know I am a pally and a prot pally at that. Only 31 lvl's to go until I find myself being my guilds tankadin (other lvl 70 pally is holy). God I can't wait.

I will link my armory later today when I am home.
Erlata
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 am
In all fairness don't lvl as prot in my mind have some fun with Ret as everyone knows it' wtf pwns till lvl 40 just pretend your dps till you get in your 50-60 then re roll prot. I whent from 60-70 allways respecing from holy/prot/ret depending on what the party i was in needed. (as i had good gear for all 3) Also to lvl quick you want to quest and quest as quick as you can don't farm an instance for a drop that you really want as at the end of the day it's rubbish when you get to 70. Go ret pew pew do your quests then think about getting tank gear at about 67+
_________________


http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodfeather&n=Erlata
Zonzede
Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:17 am
Ret is the simpler way to level. Put on a 2 hander, gear for strength, and smash things. It works very well.

Protection is just as effective, but it's generally considered an advanced tactic. They gear for stamina/int, wear a shield and fast weapon, and go around gathering up groups of mobs to kill at once. It requires you already have some familiarity with the game and the mobs you're killing, so you know how to handle special abilities, casting, how hard they hit, etc... Overall, while ret may kill 1 mob faster, prot kills 5 faster.
_________________
Xfire: Zonzede
MSN: Katita_the_hero@hotmail.com

Kombo
Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:55 am
i would recomend (esspecially if its your first toon) to spec how you intend to end, it helps you to learn what all you can do, and also if your planning on tanking then level in isntances, take every opprotunity you can to tank. As with anything, the more you do it the better you get at it.
_________________
Kombo - Dreanor - Respecaholic Priest

490 def at 64, next goal, uncrushable to a 73 before 70
Erendis
Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:19 am
I leveled holy to 40 and then went prot. I have pretty been instance grinding and questing. As prot I always killed with a 1-hander and shield. But most of my exp was from instances. I was lucky in that I have three friends of about the same level so groups were easy. I intend to hit 70 by instance grinding as well.
_________________

Uthadanin
Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:37 am
My Armory

Note: This is without a sheild (795 ap, 18 block) my 1h weapon 24.xx dps.

This is my solo-setup. I ran ZF earlier (think thats the right abbreviation) with the guild and played healer (in tanking gear). I haven't had too many problems. I can run DM solo etc without dying once. And I absolutely love getting a mob of 5/6 pulled and tearing it apart. Not a big fan of 1v1 combat... feels drawn out. If I am trashing, I throw on Ravager, its more fun as it hits hard.

On my day off tomorrow I am gonna run SM cath to try and get Aegis of the Scarlet Commander to up my armor by a bit.
Frickit
Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:07 pm
I leveled up prot from 40 on. Its easy to solo grind anywhere. Grab the shield from SM cath along with the one hander from there. At 51 you can get the shield that drops in ST from Eranikus, really nice. Im making another prot pally on the same server lol. My original is a fembot and the little kids on my server dont understand irony Sad so with my dudetoon i think ill go ret for s**ts and giggles but who knows, prot is very fast too.
Im also playing around with just grinding mobs. I dont intend to do many dungeons or quests.
Does anyone have experience power leveling like this? Is it not more efficient to just kill everything without wasting time on running and turning in?
And I agree, if you havent tanked before, get in the practice work with PUGs and youll see quickly how to keep the dumbest idiots alive and make yourself a better tank.
_________________
Lalecize
Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:15 pm
That also leads me to a similar question.

I have a level 26 prot pally, and i have 2 weapon i cant pick between.
My main aim is to tank instances.

One is a one handed axe, with +int, and + 1 spell damage on (i know hard to find at low levels). It is a level 13 item, and does around 6ps on paper.

The other is a 1 handed sword, with spirit and strength on it. It does around 16dps in weapon damage.

When looking at the 2, is the greater dps (melee) on the sword better than the +1 SD on the axe?

As a pally (im fairly new) is +SD greater than the DPS the weapon has for tanking?

Both weapons speed is 1.70 on axe and 1.80 on Sword respectively.

I personally am having no issues in levelling prot! i always use a sheild, and take 3-5 mobs at a time - big change from when i levelled my rogue Very Happy
_________________
See my blog - http://sealofrogueshness.blogspot.com/
Kombo
Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:45 pm
i used the ardent custodian from 38 to 58, and wall of the dead with a BV enchant. (I like being able to full block things 5 levels higher then me Razz ) at 58 i got some outland weapon of the champion, and did AV till i could get the Immovable object. now i have some caster sword and the nice anti CC shield Smile
_________________
Kombo - Dreanor - Respecaholic Priest

490 def at 64, next goal, uncrushable to a 73 before 70