Skip to content
Maintankadin

Leveling Spec

Archilleus
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Leveling Spec

Howdy, I recently rolled a Paladin that I am planning to tank with at 70. I've been playing a prot warrior as my main since release, I've done ZG, AQ20, MC, BWL, AQ40 and half of Naxx as a prot warrior, but now I am trying something new with the prot pally. I generally feel the way Blizzard is advancing Prot Paladins is better then the Prot Warrior.

My question is, which spec is best for leveling? I am currently ret, but I'm not to happy with it. It seems very very unefficent. I can only kill around 2 or 3 mobs before I have to stop and eat, or drink for mana.

I have heard of people leveling as prot, but Im not sure how viable it is.
Im just looking for pointers on how to get to 70 without it being a pain in the butt.
_________________
Zhalseran
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:09 am
I'm not sure why your feeling that ret is inefficient, as the Paladin is one of the most efficient grinders in the game, regardless of spec really.

As for leveling prot.. I did it all the way from 10-70 as prot, and it was ok I guess. Prot is pretty useless untill lvl 30, wherein you get reckoning. At that point your probably as good or better off than a retadin. Once you start being able to AoE grind, things can really pick up (say around lvl 40).

Once you hit the outlands though its all down hill. I loved being able to tank instances, but soloing was abysmally slow.

If I ever had to level a Paladin again, I would probably do it ret,or perhaps as some freaky prot/ret hybrid, going as far as reckoning then going into ret.
_________________
Ciandin
Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:12 am
If your leveling ret and stuck in the 30-50 range, try blessing of wisdom instead of might. Sure it might take a couple more seconds to kill your single target, but you won't have to drink much. If your still having problems, don't be afraid to judge wisdom before using Seal of Casino.
Archilleus
Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:47 pm
Im not sure what I was doing wrong. But at the time I posted it, I just found it to be inefficent, it may have been gear, may have been my aura, blessing. I just found myself to be having to drink/eat after 2-3 fights. Its got better since I got my Verigans Fisrt (lv20 class quest reward.)

leveling prot, which aura and blessing should i be using, and gear stats?
_________________
Jozen
Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:03 pm
Blessing of Sanctuary and Aura of Retribution is what I have on always for grinding.
_________________
Guillex
Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:53 pm
I'm ret right now, leveling with a sword and board.

Survivability = high
Downtime = low

Engineering and bombs help out a lot, but that's a side note. SoC connects more than enough for my liking, and I'm hitting 200+ white crits.

It's working for Trypp. I'll be going prot at 35.
_________________
Official thread killer

Archilleus
Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:15 pm
How exactly do I level prot? Like, im not seeing much of anything to kill targets. Unless thats meant to gather targets up and consencrate them till death...
_________________
Erendis
Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 pm
I pretty much instance grinded my way to my current level. When doin it that way Prot is a great way to spec. Other than that I just quested as normal and when i saw a big group of non-casters i'd just gather them all up and AOE kill them. Some troll villages in STV were good as was sorrow hill and the raptors in STV and Un'Goro. Oh and yetis in Feralas.
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog

Uthadanin
Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:57 pm
Leveling Prot is rather simple. Quest a bunch, run an instance, quest some more run an instance.... And when you need a break go in the BG's and save up some honor points/ badges. It's amazing to go into the BG's as a 45 and romp on 49 warriors/hunters (stun the pet rush the hunter). As a prot pally, all instance groups want you b/c you can heal (healers are hard to find.) Sure you may not be 2-shotting (or "spelling") everything in your path, but a bad pull while solo'ing or questing isn't your fear, its your pleasure.

You know what I hated about my warrior b4 I chose pally as my main, low survivability. Sure he could hack things to pieces but it was a race to the death. Either warrior kills first or he dies, with a pally its more of an art form than a brutal swing fest.
Alchameth
Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:02 am
I have been Prot all the way and have not had any issues leveling. Quest, Quest, Quest... We can live through pretty much anything cept those dang casters, ouch! Sometimes it's a little slow, but I love running around with 5 mobs beating on me and some helpful person thinks I need help and nukes a few down for me. Makes it go all the faster! I started AE'n on Yetti's in Hillsbrad and the ice ones to the north at level 30, could easly do 4 same level mobs.

I just moved on from Hillsbrad to Arit HLs (like 4 levels ago), I go into a farm, grab 4 or so humies and just let them beat on me and when one runs, I change targets and he brings more, just have to watch for those casters. I just keep doing this until I cannot keep up with health or mana anymore then I backup so when they run they dont get friends, drink and rest up and then charge back in.

The thing I have noticed is more is better, to a point. If you are going to say grab 3 raptors, it's better to get 5. You will actually (or at least I do) end with more health and mana then with 3. Don't forget a shield spike, it is an absolute MUST. Right now I only have a Mith, but waiting for a better shield for an upgrade.

Back when I was just moving into that zone, I went LD on the road to the outpost and when I got back on I was dead, no doubt due to that wandering pally and his guards (guards lvl 34 and he was lvl 36 I believe). Needless to say I had to seek revenge so I went and got them and charged in, before I realized there levels I must admit or I might have waited a level or two before payback! But, suprised to say it was pretty easy, I just focused on him, and with his heals by the time I did finally get him down I had about 30% mana and over 60% health, and when he fell his guards almost killed themselves just by beating on me and a half dozen Cons or so.

All this is with gear that I have guested myself or gotten as a drop so it's not ALL about the gear. And some of this is based on luck, sometimes I kill 5 so fast I thought I only had one, and others I might have to drink a pot to get through it.....

I am actually getting ready to move onto this murloc came that all the AE'rs rave about.
_________________
Nicos
Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Once I hit 59, I started tanking instances. I've done Ramps 7-8 times, BF 4 Times, SP 4 Times, UB twice... About to start in on Mana Tombs.

Between LFG time, I get some kill quests done.

It's made the xp fly by... being prot really helps in the outland... everyone seems to need a tank.
_________________