Skip to content
Maintankadin

Prot Warriors in my guild carry 2-3 shields...

Snake-Aes
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:49 am

Prot Warriors in my guild carry 2-3 shields...

Any specific reason for it? I thought that once the Avoidance magic number is achieved, you don't really need to change anything to remain uncrushable...why do they carry more than one shield? is that applicable for tankadins in instances/heroics/raids? All I know is that I'll have one for farming and one for tanking.Please enlighten me on the possible gains of having more than one shield for tanking after hitting uncrushability Sad
_________________
Korath
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:57 am
only reason I can think of if not changing roles is a backup sheild for if it breaks as it seems to break quicker than armor
_________________


.::. Karak 70 Restoration Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Affliction Warlock .::.
.::. Taris 50 Feral Druid .::.
cordelia
Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:02 am
You absolutely should carry at least 2. AE tanking will definitely cause your shield to break much earlier than the rest of your gear.

Personally, I carry: Crest of the Sha'tar, Dragonheart Flameshield, Fel Barrier, Petrified Lichen Guard. If I plan on farming awhile, I'll bring an extra PLG or two. I want to grab my Shield of the Wayward Footman and put a shield block enchant on it. Might start carrying that around, too, for trash, where I want to pump up BR as much as possible.
_________________
reyia
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:07 am
I carry different shields for different roles.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a MGSW, so I have

Stam/BV = Merciless Shield Wall
Threat= DragonHeart
AOE/Junk=Petrified Lichen guard with spike\
Healing= Tripytch
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:14 am
I have a couple shield on my warrior; one for HP/avoidance (sha'tar, 18 stam enchant), one for threat/block set (heroic badge thing, 18 BV enchant).

On my paladin I have the sha'tar shield (general purpose), the lichen guard (aoe/5 man farming), and that dragonheart thing for ... well, I'm really not sure what, other than it looks kind of cute.
_________________
Juliette
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:04 pm
I always carry 2. The other day I was AoE-tanking normal SH and then immediately after I got revered with HH, I went to tank heroic BF. Half way through, my shield broke mid-fight, against a pack of those 2 large demons! Luckily I had a spare shield in my bags, or it will have been another wipe for sure. We didn't have a lock to banish one of them, so it was a nervy fight, using the kiting method to deal with one of them.
_________________
Nemi
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:51 pm
I carry 4 sheilds, Gruul is not playing nice (and its as far as my guild is able to go due to RL time constraints / # people) so he's not dropping his sheild.. the bastard.

2 Nightbane tank sheilds 18 sta and the other with BV
1 Nightbane dmg/ heal sheld
1 Sheild of the Wayward Footman with BV enchant

I'd assume the warriors carry multiple sheilds for the same reason they gain alot of threat through BV, so they'd need a sheild with high block and with block value in it. Then they'd need a pure armor / sta sheild as well.
_________________
Invisusira
Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:42 pm
I keep a Drillborer Disc on me because the spikes on the edges make AS do more damage.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Aerron
Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 am
On my warrior, I only really carry one shield, ALD/18stam chant. Only reason I can think of for carrying another is Resist gear. If you're a warrior and your shield goes yellow/red, time to go repair, maybe? And if it's breaking often enough that it is such a regular occurence that going to repair is an inconvenience ... your raid may have bigger problems. Even on learning nights, you might go to repair maybe once. Perhahps just my practical experience, but I've never found any need to trade out shields on a warrior for any reason, other than perhaps a resist fight as mentioned.

On my paladin, it's a completely different story. I carry one Tanking shield (high stam/armor/BV), one for reaching Uncrushable (high avoidance), one for aoe trash and farming (good amount of +spell dam) and currently at least one Resist fight shield (+Arc Resist one out of Ramparts, for Curator).

Part of the issue is this: The best warrior shields, in terms of high Stamina, Armor and some avoidance generally ALL have the highest innate BV for their itemlevel equivalents ... meaning that they are not only the best in terms of Stamina/Mitigation, etc, but also the best for Threat as well.

Because Threat for paladin tanks is generated in great part by +Spell Damage, this is not the case for us.

Sometimes it makes me wish AS had a damage component based off of our BV. Pros and Cons to that though.
_________________
I think my cat is a communist. He's always talking to me about Mao.
Joacimcans
Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:08 am
I also carry many shield. I have two force reactive discs that i carry for AoE farming/5mans. I have a Merciless gladiator shield wall that i carry for bosses and or anything that hits pretty hard. Then i have an a Petrified Lichen Guard with a shield spike for trash tanking. I have a Dragonheart Flameshield for when i wanna generate extra aggro. I also carry a crystal pulse sheild for my healing set.
_________________
Worldie
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:26 pm
I have with me the ALD and the PLC, + that spelldam shield from Nightbane... don't really need more.


Even still, sometimes, i nearly die in MH because i don't notice that my shield is broken until i realize i cannot cast Avenger Shield....
_________________

Plankeye
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:18 am
I keep 5 shields in my bags. Shields are a great way to make small changes to what you want to do mid fight. For instance swapping in a spell damage shield after several void knockbacks put you below the other tanks. I swap to one of my two AOE shields (force reactive disk or lichen guard) all the time during group pulls. Then there is the healing shield for when I am in my secondary role.
_________________
Lore
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:25 am
I carry two shields, one for tanking and one for healing. In an extreme pinch I can put on my healing shield and tank (hell, that's not exactly a new thing), but generally I'm able to get by with just keeping an eye on my durability and repairing when I need to.

I do have to DI someone after Kaz'rogal to get out of Hyjal, though.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Zhalseran
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:29 am
I have my tank shield, my spelldamage shield, and my healing shield. I only really use my tank shield though.

I know at least one warrior in my guild who carries at least 2 shields, one being a crest of the Sha'tar gemmed for max stamina, the other being some sort of blocking mitigational avoidance dealy
_________________