Skip to content
Maintankadin

Little Fish in Big Pond?

Dawnrunner
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:46 pm

Little Fish in Big Pond?

First off:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Icecrown&n=Dawnrunner

I hit 70 about 2 weeks ago and have worked hard to get my gear rolling to tank stuff for my guild's alts. We're currently working on Vashj and Al'ar as a guild to get them down. On a run to Mags a week ago I got pulled along since there were only 24 people on and ended up tanking an add initially then grabbing a second one after that add tank died and managed to survive. Feeling good and proud of myself, things were looking on the 'up' side.

Tonight I got pulled to a TK run to basically tag along. Knock out VR (got the T5 shoulders from Warchief Mantle so huge upgrade) and Solarian. We go to play with Al'ar. I get assigned duty to pick up the adds off Al'ar and end up getting smoked, never being able to get agro on them . They'd run past me, my Avenger shield missed like 7 times, my taunts would be resisted. It was as if every 'trick' that I could do to generate threat was completely backfiring and failing.

The question I put forth is, was this just an omg freak night (Because I know I disappointed some people in the guild) or is it more relative to my gear? Is there something I can be doing differently in my approach or should I blame it all on being horribly undergeared compared to the others in guild and for the content?

My approach on the adds was as follows: I'd taunt it off the healer it had initial agro on, throw shield, judge righteousness and consecrate, then throw up holy shield and spam righteousness when it was up to hold it on to me. Even still often it'd get pulled, assuming it stayed on me to begin with. The biggest problem was, we tank by the doorway into Al'ars room, the adds would streak off towards the healers/dps in the middle of the room faster than I could move my Blood Elf behind to get them. Do I need a different approach?
_________________
Dawnrunner - Blood Elf - 53 Paladin - Icecrown
Erlata
Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:26 am
Hi there, I tank those adds all the time we have even had me tank all the adds from phase 1 and nuke them in the 2nd phase to nuke the boss hard.. I just checked out your gear the only thing i could say is you don't have enough spell power think u had like 201 you want 300 spell dmg in my mind, and i can get nearly 550 spell dmg when i aoe tank. I've never had a problem getting agro from those mobs i stand on the bottom of the ramp and tank them by the door in the little gap as not to get blown across the room. In the unlikly chance that chucking my shield at them misses i judge them. my shield hits for 1k-1.8k crit and 700-900 normal. and i JoR for about 700 to 1.6k crits. If your not able to preduce enough threat then you can't get the adds. The only times i've had to taunt of other people is if i'm multi tanking a dps warrior gets the adds for me and i tuant off him or if i'm thinking of other stuff then relise the add ran past me 0_o. It sounds harsh but i would blame your gear for not getting agro. I would want full t4 or nearly full b4 i was tanking them so i know i could get agro no problem. Also my last bit of adive would be Shout at ur dps to tell them to stop stunning ur add at the start and even worse if they stun it while your draggin it. they used to do that to me all the time. your agro gets so much better if you let the mob hit you for a bit and not get stunned by a rogue that wanted to cheap shot and dps a bit quicker...Smile
_________________


http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodfeather&n=Erlata
Lore
Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:46 am
That does sound like some pretty bad luck with your Avenger's Shield, though that can be reduced by working some more +hit% into your gear where you can. More spell damage would help as well, as Erlata said. You don't need to be uncrushable for those adds, so you can give up some avoidance (Andormu's Tear for example) for more threat.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Zhalseran
Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:55 am
I would say open up with a judgement or similar ability rather than a taunt. The faster you can build initial aggro the less likely it is that you will lose it. Your taunt is better served to grab the mob back in the case that you lose aggro, especially since it's a lot harder to get aggro back once lost than it is to get it in the first place.
_________________