Skip to content
Maintankadin

Resilience to uncrit conversion - Tankpoints

lusisia
Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:56 am

Resilience to uncrit conversion - Tankpoints

So I'm a happy pally in that I'm uncrushable without my heroic libram. I've gotten a few good drops in Kara that have really helped.

In attempts at determining where I can regem for more stam, I've noticed that in tank points, when swapping out trinkets and dropping below 490, I'm still marked as uncrittable. Obviously this has to do with the resilience stats on my MGSW. Can anyone confirm this who happens to be using this shield?

I'd like to swap a gem out for a stam one if possible but the thought of a crit scares the bejebus outta me.

I did some reading on wowwiki:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Combat_Rating_System#Resilience
http://www.wowwiki.com/Resilience

But theorycrafting and math makes baby jesus cry. (translation: I suck at both)

Thanks.
_________________

Some people call me crazy but I like to think of myself as a freelance lunatic.
Ann Coulter is a Cylon
Lansky
Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:09 am
The 31 res on the shield is worth .7868 against being able to be crit.

.7868 is worth roughly 19.7 defense skill and therefore rougly 47.2 defense rating.

If you were curious where I am pulling these numbers from

2.4 defense rating = 1 defense skill
1 defense skill = .04% against being crit

39.4 resilience = 1% against being crit

31res on shield / 39.4res per percent = .7868 against crit
.7868 / .04 per defense skill = 19.67 defense skill worth
19.67 * 2.4 (rating value per point for defense) = 47.2

Hopefully I didn't screw up my math either!

So according to this you can safely replace your 8 defense rating gem and be well above crit immune cap. You will however lose .5333 against uncrushable. However if I can add properly you would still be at 102.736% against uncrushable and still squeak by without your libram.

Oh and in case you were curious each dodge gem is worth 8/18.9=.4232% dodge. So you could potentially swap out a dodge gem and a defense gem but keep in mind you would be very close to crushable range and any gear swap that lowered these stats would make you crushable at that point. This is also assuming mark and/or kings are applied as without them you would be crushable replacing two gems.
_________________
Lansky BE Paladin Mannoroth
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&n=Lansky
Kombo
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 am
You also might considering replacing youre stamina enchants for defense, so you can gem more for stamina. you have more stamina potential from gems then you do enchants, so if you put the 8 def armor kits on youre feet and gloves and the 12 def on your bracers you could replace 3 +8 def gems with 3 +12 stamina gems, netting you 8 stamina and 4 def.
_________________
Kombo - Dreanor - Respecaholic Priest

490 def at 64, next goal, uncrushable to a 73 before 70
Kombo
Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:45 am
oh i didnt realise you only had one, must have counted it twice, and i think i just assumed you had a 3rd Embarassed anyway for dodge it looks like 8 dodge rating is the sama as 6 defense rating as far as uncrushability is concerned, so if it wasnt for the socket bonus you could replace your 12 sta enchant with a 12 def and replace both dodge gems with stamina. acctually you could then replace one of the kits on you hands or feet, then that would give you enough def to make up for losing the socket bonuses. That would be some expensive shifting for only 4 stamina, maybe it would be better to wait on upgrades to apply this logic.
_________________
Kombo - Dreanor - Respecaholic Priest

490 def at 64, next goal, uncrushable to a 73 before 70
M'hael
Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:02 am
so then if you have the merc gavel and the merc shield wall you have 49 resilience which translates to ~1.24 - crit so ~31 def skill and 74.4 def rating. so does this mean that i can have both of those and have 459 def and be uncrittable?
cordelia
Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:52 pm
M'hael: yes
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:45 pm
this thread make my head hurt, but is invaluable for figuring out how to gear for Hydross tanking.

Fuck blizzard anyway. "Hai tanks you need resist gears but there's no def on this stuffs so lololol".

If I'm understanding this correctly and doing math right, the Alembic (33 resil) > Adamantite Figurine (32 def).

We went and poked at Hydross last night for a while; we're still not done with our resist sets (have crafted gear, lack randoming fucking green drops) and we got him to 55% before I got crit for 11.7k at the end of the transition a fraction of a second before she switched targets.

Argh.
_________________
adese
Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:43 pm
From a purely uncrittable perspective, it is better to stack resilience than defense rating. You need 39.1 resilience for -1% crit, while you need 59.25 defense rating for the same reduction. Generally, paladins and warriors prefer defense rating over resilience because in addition to reducing your chance to be crit, defense also increases your dodge, parry, block, and to-be-missed.

However, in the case of resist fights (and Hydross in particular), the spell attacks can't be blocked (I think they can be parried/dodged, but I'm not positive), so the extra parts of defense are worthless.

I've found some of the "Lamellar" BG/Arena set helpful here, since they have both resilience and spell damage on them.
_________________

Dorvan
Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:17 am
I've been looking into this a little more lately as I've been planning out the FR set (more things to spend badges on ftl). I'd recommend +15 resilience to chest for any resistance gear chest piece...it looks like that's going to be a big help for me in maintaining uncrittable in that gear set (and much more effective than +8 def armor kits).
Lakhesis
Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Resilience + Dodge > Defense?

Hrm...

So given that 39.4 resilience is 1% crit chance reduction & that 18.9 dodge is 1% avoidance, that'd mean that 58.3 points spent between the two attributes gets you the same effect as 60 points spent in defense rating.

So depend on how the rounding works, we're talking 58 or 59 points resilience + dodge versus 60 points of defense rating.

Hence you'd actually be (extremely) fractionally better off stacking resilience & dodge rather than straight defense?!?
_________________