Skip to content
Maintankadin

A couple of questions

Florrianna
Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 am

A couple of questions

First, what's the best way to handle the change to Holy Shield?
Second, what aura should I be using while tanking? Retribution aura hits for around 200, which against mobs with 150k+ is basically a tickle, and Devotion Aura only gives a little over 4k armor. Devotion gives about 9% more armor with my current gear, or an additional 2.2 or so damage reduction, seeming like the best choice, but I'm not 100% sure.
econ21
Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Yes, devotion aura is what we should use while tanking for the reason you gave.

With Holy Shield, what Theckhd has argued is that it is best used actively - when you anticipate a burst of damage (when DBM is telling you a double attack is about to land etc.). The CD is short enough that you don't need to use it sparingly (unlike your proper CDs) and the effect is not so large that you'll suffer unduly if you don't maximise up time (e.g. by macroing it to your abilities). I don't think it changes our gearing priorities - stacking mastery is still good.
Florrianna
Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:15 am

Re: A couple of questions

OK. What about gear? I feel like I'm poorly gemmed and equipped. I've noticed warriors/DKs/Druids taking what seem to be smaller hits at equivalent gear level. I don't need item by item as I know you're not all here to do that, but a general review would help.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/c ... nna/simple
econ21
Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 am

Re: A couple of questions

Florrianna wrote:OK. What about gear?


There's a sticky in the Gear section for gear checks. But looking at your gear, it does not look like you have reforged? Your block is very low relative to your parry and dodge. Mastery is about as good as dodge and parry for reducing overall damage, and much better for smoothing out that damage. Have a look at Digren's gear guide (and item enhancement guide) - he follows a mastery-heavy approach that seems the norm these days. Basically, try to have mastery on all your items (by picking gear or reforging it) and all your gems.
dirtypally
Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Definitely reforge your gear. Where you have expertise, reforge to mastery or dodge if mastery is already on it. You could even reforge the hit to mastery as well. Parry also gives you no mana back, only block and dodge do that. I'm sure the rest of your gear it seems like you are just trying to reach that ilvl to get into ZG/A will soon be replaced. Make sure you do and reforge properly. Then you should be fine, dont forget about enchanting them as well.