My situation: I share tanking duties with a prot warrior. The two of us have been tanking together for the same guild since Lucifron in '05. At this point, we pretty much switch off on who MTs any given boss and who dps's or handles OT duties if called for.
Recently we've been really focusing on maximizing raid dps on more difficult encounters, and I started wondering, what's the best way for an OT to maximize their DPS when not tanking anything?
I'm not talking about the fights where I can just jump into Ret spec/gear. I mean the fights where I have to tank adds or swap the Boss with my co-tank. Fights like: Cho'gall when the other tank has grabbed him after a Fury and the Big Add isn't up yet; Twilight Council during Phase 3 if you're not the MT; Halfus after adds are dead and the other tank has grabbed Boss so stacks can fall off you (bubble already used for sake of this discussion); etc.
Up until this point, I've just continued to use my 939 rotation with SHotR or maybe Inq. But is this optimal? Are there any variations/changes that would pump out more DPS? I realize the basis of Threat is Damage.
For purposes of this discussion:
- in Prot spec, with full on Prot survival gear.
Aerron
Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:10 pm
