Skip to content
Maintankadin

How to build enough aggro if you're the second tank?

Atlas
Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:48 am

How to build enough aggro if you're the second tank?

Hi all,

My guild has asked me to start helping with VR by being the second or third tank on the aggro list. I've passed on this opportunity for now because I've never been able to keep myself above the DPSers on the aggro list unless I'm getting hit.

Is it possible to stay 2nd or 3rd on the list without taking any hits? If so, what do you guys do to achieve enough TPS for that?

Thanks!
Worldie
Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:19 am
Shadow
Priest


Don't even try without that.
I usually am 2nd on threat list until our MT gets 2 knockbacks, just having Crusader judged and spamming max rank consecration / JoR everytime possible, using mana pots whenever the CD is up.
I always end up being killed at about 20%, our healers hate me :\
_________________

Brute
Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:21 am
don't wear any arcane resist so you get damaged by that arcane thingy he does (and thus healed).

Take plenty of the cheapo TK mana pots and chug every CD, starting early in the fight when you'll get the full benefit of it, usually after 2-3 consecrates.

use wizard oil, and possibly spell-damage food buff, though you may need the HP from a stam food buff.

use seal/judgement of vengeance since he's stationary and you should be able to keep the stack up. it usually does quite a bit more holy damage per mana (and per second) than SoR. If you have trouble keeping the stack up, though, switch to SoR. Best way to use it: Judge crusader, pop wings, build 5-stack. Your stack will then tick for a high amount for the rest of the fight, even after wings has worn off and you've replaced the judgement of the Crusader with Wisdom.

Consecrate non-stop.

Keep wisdom judged. A ret pally would be awesome since he could judge crusader and give you sanctity, but he/she would probably have trouble making it into the raid.

DON'T use holy shield until he's about to do an agro knock-back and you're a close number 2 on the list, or unless you actually get agro. It'll just be wasted otherwise.

You need to retain uncrushable for this fight since you may end up #1, and you don't want to go *splat* if you do.

I usually tank VR for about 30-40% of the fight doing the abovel, with #1 being a warrior getting ALL the misdirects and putting out a sick amount of threat.
_________________
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uther&n=Brute]
jere
Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:26 am
I typically don't have much of any shadow priests available. When we do have them, they get put in with DPS'ers.

What I typically do:

1. Threat gear: I currently have 400 spell dmg with both the 2 and 4 piece T4 bonus in my threat gear. I also have a decent amount of hitpoints

2. Consumables: Flask of Pure Light, Blackened Basilisk, Wizard Oils

With those + JotC, I get in the 750 spell dmg area.

As far as rotation, I do:

1. Avenger's Shield
2. JoR
3. Reseal
4. Pull him through a consecrate as I walk backwards towards the center.
5. Pop AW
6. Go to town

I typically also pop mana pots as soon as the cooldown is up. It helps a lot.
_________________
Tumeric
Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:43 am
we had 3 tanks on this fight so i figured id never be targeted with 2 hunters MD rotating the main tank ( tauren war).

I used Pure light, basilisk, wizard oil. ( 495 spell damage while uncrush uncrit @ around 16.5k raid buffed)

went in they MD war i judge crusader and start with JOR .. I pop AW - spell damage trink and drink a destro pot. Avenger shield judge maxrank consecration. At this point i am barely behind the MT when he recieves the 2nd MD.

After i continue and he gets pounded i gain aggro. I hold it until VR hits 15% where healers forget about poor ole pally and i flop.

Downside of holding hate that well is... When you die only person close on threat pick up even after MD's is a mage/lock/hunter.

Thats right wiped @15% bc warrior was 7 slots under top DPS on omen and didnt have a snowballs chance in hell of regaining control.

VR went and 1 shot 2 people before he even realized i died.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:33 am
We have a Warrior, Druid and Paladin tank VR. Druid threat is pretty crazy.
_________________
Invisusira
Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:23 pm
We typically have:
Me
Druid
Warrior

He goes back and forth between me and the druid after he drops off me, and every now and then goes to the warrior. I chug the freebee mana pots (the Tempest Keep ones) whenever the cooldown is up for this fight. Other than that, I don't do anything differently.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Plankeye
Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:34 pm
You should see if you can start VR. One of our two tankadins always start VR because of the big threat lead we can get and keep throughout the fight. Usually takes several knock backs before I go below the other tanks. Have your hunters misdirect on the lowest threat tank instead of using it on the maintank. Better to have the tanks close to each other in threat for when knock backs change Void's attention.

For those not getting healed, make sure you call out who has voids attention. Our second in threat tank kept getting his clock cleaned until we started warning the raid about who currently had threat. Between dodging the orbs and healing, it can be a lot for them to keep on top of without a little help.
_________________
Atlas
Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:05 pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Smile I read through them before our VR run tonight and it worked great. I was able to stay second out of three tanks on the list when I wasn't getting hit. And I even got my T5 shoulders this run. Smile
Vic
Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:19 am
i usually just bring a crap load of mana potions with me and oils, i chug mana potions like no tomorrow. Thank god i am an alchemist!
_________________
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
enbee
Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:23 am
I do fine on bloodboil without a shadowpriest, though he has several "catch up mechanics" in the form of kick and disorient, no mana problems either, as he hits like a truck again since this week, yay!

I start out with jotc aw sov as consec, joc consec jov consec etccccc, swap to jow if I'm running relativly low and am not caught up yet, and there's always mana pots
_________________

LoL, a paladin tank!
Whitewolf
Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:18 am
Yeah, I tanked VR with relative ease. Like someone else up there said - try to get intial aggro, and you should be decent. I had a 40,000 threat or higher up on everyone before I started getting knocked back. I think it took 3-4 knock backs for me to lose aggro - and at that point I had my 3-4 hunters start MDing me to keep me up... Granted, we didn't finish the fight due to the fact our DPS started dying to orbs.

/sigh
waffles8
Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:51 am
Have a hunter misdirect the tank thats lower on the list every cooldown.
_________________
ehly
Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:06 pm
Our raidleader has come to realize that I will take the aggro on this fight. Our tank rotation list me on VR as (OMT) - offtank/maintank. They actually ask me to only do white damage for the first 10sec of the fight Sad

Mostly I make sure to use a spell damage elixir/flask. Keep a good rotation of abilities going, when mana is bottoming out I downrank my consecration just to keep constant holy damage going. I keep BoW on VR and chug every TK Mana pot I can when the CD is up. I never have had a shadow priest, nor to I use any arcan resist. I usually tank VR for ~50% of the fight depending on how frequent the knockbacks are. I usually have ~500 buffed spell damage for VR.
_________________

guild: http://www.neltharionsfury.com/