Skip to content
Maintankadin

Targeting and Retargeting

burntpepperoni
Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Targeting and Retargeting

I have been having some trouble lately with targeting. Especially in Heroic Nexus with both the mage woman and Anomolous.

When they split, or pull in adds it always takes me a bit longer than the dpsers in most of my groups to target them (which sometimes means that I might not be grabbing aggro right off and they might be dying) and then mash my auto attack button. I am mostly tab targeting, because, of course if I wait to use my mouse and click then it feels like it's too late.

One thing that I have just considered is that I often still run over to my intended new target. I suppose that if I just target them and then hit Hand of Reckoning that they will mostly come to me.

I DO have to admit that I am mostly a key-turner. I can mouse turn, but I'm just so used to WASD that giving it up has been REALLY hard.

Is the key-turning my problem? Or is there some other way to do this?

I fully expect the "key-turner" flames, but would love some helpful criticism. Especially specific tips for the above mentioned bosses.

Thank you.
Torquemada
Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:07 pm
I use W and D to help strafe from time to time, but I wouldn't call myself a keyboard turner. If you can get out of the habit I'd recommend it, as at least the caster woman boss(I don't remember her name off the top of my head) is a fight that requires a certain amount of moving on the fly. You can try the Lucky Charms mod to quickly mark a skull target, which might help. Beyond that I would say learning to move primarily with your mouse buttons will be a huge help.
_________________

Heroic Hogger - Now with Fresh Lemon Scent!
Mozen
Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:00 pm
Key turning is indeed the problem.

The most important thing to do when improving your movement is to get used to strafing. The default keys are Q and E.

1) Hold down your right mouse button; and then
2) Hold down either Q or E; and finally
3) Move your mouse left or right.

This is useful on Anomalous and the Magus. Say a rift spawns, or the Magus splits. You want to grab the target to the right of you. Instead of turning right (D) then moving foward (W) and clicking the target, you immediately hold down right mouse button and at the same time strafe right (E). Move your mouse to turn your facing. In less than half a second, you've just positioned yourself in range and with the right facing.

TAB and you'll acquire your target. In case of the Magus splits, give her a ShoR and then strafe+mouse to the next one, do your HotR and consecrate etc.

With that out of the way, the next step is to free up your camera and your character facing.

The default setting has your camera following your character. Turn it off in the options, and you'll be able to:

1) Hold down left mouse button and move mouse to turn the camera only; and
2) Hold down right mouse button and move mouse to turn both the camera and character facing.

Then holding down both mouse buttons will cause your character to move forward, while at the same time also allow you to turn. Try it out.

For example on Loken, we always run along the shiny floor thingy. That means I have to turn and run. But that's no problem because I always get ready by using (1) above to move the camera to face where I have to run to, which means I'm staring at Loken's back and my character's face. Then when Loken casts, I just quickly hold down first left and then immediately right mouse key and I'm already on my way in the right direction. I even have time to spam my "RUN RUN RUN" macro for my party.

To practise, say you're facing north. Now turn camera only to west, then without letting go of the left mouse button, start holding down the right mouse button. You've just combined "hold A down then let A go and hold W down" into one swift action.

Last notes:

1) Strafing is good in Utgarde Keep to move away from the dark smash, too;
2) Strafing is good in Halls of Lightning in the elemental gauntlet to avoid getting dazed;
3) Strafing+mouse turning is good in Gundrak to run from Gal'darah's whirlwind
4) ...etc.

In fact strafing and mouse turning is good to run away from any sort of effect: Nexus Commander, Halls of Lightning General, Utgarde Pinnacle Skadi and King Ymiron, Gundrak Colossus elemental form's poison, etc, etc...

Strafing is so good that I've changed A and D to be strafing and don't even have the original "turning" on my keyboard. All turning is done with my mouse.
burntpepperoni
Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:41 pm
Thanks for the replies -- will be giving those suggestions a go.
Arnock
Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:51 pm
One thing I've found somewhat useful, is the fact that you tend to autotarget mobs when casting judgement (Found that out the hard way on magtheridon, no target and facing away from the channeler, I managed to prematurely pull when I cast my seal macro >.<)

Anyway, Autotargetting with a judgement cast, and then following up with an unglyphed shield toss and/or Hotr is usually enough to pick up aggro, also, dropping a consecrate below the boss just before she splits can help a bit too.
_________________

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside