Skip to content
Maintankadin

Bah, another kara rant...

EvilSanta
Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Bah, another kara rant...

Our guild raid leader just posted about getting ready for our first guild kara run:

The only ones who really need to make sure they are really geared up are the tanks (warriros+druids) My pally went into karazan as a healer with a hybrid holy/proc spec and did fine.

He knows full well I have aspirations to tank in Kara. I'm realistic, OT or Trash tanking is fine by me, I'm not expecting to MT (yet). But no, he excludes Pallys explicitly from the tanking comment and then makes a reference to me re-speccing (he's done that a lot lately)

(And I know my stats aren't at the kara baseline yet)

Bah.

Oh well, rant over. Embarassed
_________________

Armory
Gideon
Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:34 am
Kz encounters that actually favour a paladin over a warrior, imo:
Moroes - UD DW
Romulo & Julianne - UD DW, can also just AOE tank both if geared
Illhoof - Demon AOE
Netherspite - Demon (UD?), red beam allows you to hold aggro even with BoP/DS up
Prince - Demon DW

Bosses that favour "secular" tanks:
Nightbane - Fear. I'm Alliance so it's not a big deal and I have better pickups (don't need MD when landing etc)
Maiden - Silence. It's a really short silence and won't slow you down much.
_________________
Mahale
Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:23 am
and we're the best tin-man tank too because we can do so much of our aggro gaining abilities from a longer range unlike warriors.
_________________
Mortehl
Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:47 am
Lets stop with all the /gquit stuff okay?

Being self righteous isn't going to help this guy.

You need to explain to the guild leader that your intended role in the guild is as a tank, not as a healer, or a healer hybrid. You're not out to start emo drama, but you're not playing your paladin to do anything else. You like your guild and you want to be a team player, but quite frankly healing is not a role you're interested in. Tell him that if he works with you, you'll work with him. You understand that you need to prove yourself and right now all your asking for is for those opportunities.

Point out to him several successful paladins, include links to armories. Explain to him that many deep progression guilds rely heavily on their paladin tanks and that you want to be that person for your guild. Give him examples of why it is in the guild's interest to maintain a paladin tank. Tell him that it is important to you that when he talks about tanks he includes you.

Most important of all: even if your attempts to break through go badly, do not go emo, do not show a bad attitude. Bow out gracefully and part on good terms. The last thing in the world you want is a reputation as a self important prick. It will come back to bite you in the ass later.
_________________
Lore
Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:39 am
It really sounds like the OP is dealing with a little deeper situation than "amagad my guild doesn't consider me a tank." Being referenced directly by your GM, effectively saying "Yes I know you want to tank, now shut up and spec Holy" isn't exactly beating around the bush. It sounds like it's already a hot topic of conversation between the OP and the GM.

If I'm wrong, then yeah, talk things out with him like Mortehl said. But you may have a decision to make.
_________________
Me, LOL!
EvilSanta
Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:21 am
Thanks everyone for your thoughts - gratefully received.

And no, quitting the guild isn't an easy option. We are a small guild with barely enough players to mount a kara run - and it's run by my brother. Dum dum durrrrm.

Plus, most of us have been MMO together since way back when, so flouncing off stage left isn't the way to go. For the most part, these are my friends.

However... this business with the "raid leader" (who I dont know that well) is bothering me. It's not been a hot topic of discussion, that I'm aware of. He told me recently that in his "vast experience" Pally's couldnt tank Kara, I told him to quit with the BS and laughed, you know, all friendly like, but firm nonetheless.

Anyway, I've started a discussion on our guild boards about pally tanks and plan to hit 5-mans with the guild real hard to a) learn and b) show em what we're made of.

I won't respec and if push comes to shove - you know "you heal or you dont come" then that's the decision made. Not going to Kara doesnt mean I have to leave the guild - it's only a game after all

Thanks again all, you've cheered me up with your support!

BTW, I hit 490 defence today. Woot!
_________________

Armory
Ills
Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:25 am
For those of us who can't access the armoury for whatever reason, what's your guild and realm?
_________________
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Velaegis
Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:54 am
It's run by your brother? That should make it easier to talk things over.
_________________
EvilSanta
Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 am
The guild is called "Legion" (I wanted to call it Monken Drunkeys) and our realm is US Runetotem. I stress that we aren't end game content focused. We're mostly here for kicks

Why? are you going to tell him what I said ? Laughing
_________________

Armory