Skip to content
Maintankadin

Shaman Healing Totem

Dekort
Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 am

Shaman Healing Totem

I seem to remember, once upon a time as a freshly 70 tankadin, I ran with a shaman healer. I was having a very hard time with mana that run, more so than usual. I looked, and it appeared that his healing totem was not restoring mana through SA.
Is this still the case? Was I, in my newbishness, misreading things and it actually was giving me mana?
I have not ever run with a shaman healer, since this, not due to rejecting them, but because I rarely/never see them. I do have one coming up in the guild, though, so I thought I'd best find out for sure.
_________________
Arcand
Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:29 am
Unless the post-70 ranks are much stronger than at level 70, the effect of Healing Stream is such a small trickle it probably wasn't the problem.

Earth Shield, on the other hand, has some power to it and I don't know if SA works off that...
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
Majiben
Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:31 am
In the past healing stream totem was a very poor totem to chose, I don't know if it's healing activated SA, but because the mana regen from their mana spring totem was preferable in almost every way. It's heals used to be very poor, in the range of 18 hps.

Doesn't matter now that they are one totem so you'll be both effects.
_________________
Arcand
Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:47 am
With astonishing gear, Healing Stream might do 300 every two seconds. 200 is more probable for someone who bothers to run heroics.

So 100 healing per second would be costing you up to 10 mana per second. That's enough to slightly aggravate your mana problems and cause a bit more drinking, but I don't think it's anything Divine Plea can't overcome.

(And it doesn't take long to gear up to where you can comfortably switch from Kings to Sanctuary in heroics, and then it's buh-bye mana problems.)
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
onimarishu
Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 am
AFAIK Both Healing Stream and Earth Shield now provide mana back through SA
_________________
Onimarishu - 80 Human Tankadin
Jaydran - 80 Space Goat Shaman
Skill - 7x Nelf Warrior
Arcand
Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 am
Any idea how long this has been the case?
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
Lore
Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:10 am
Earth Shied definitely does. I'm reasonably certain healing stream always has, it's just such a low amount of healing that it doesn't really matter.

If you're having mana problems because healing stream is down, it's not because of any mana healing stream may or may not be giving you, it's because he's not dropping mana spring.

Note that the two totems are being combined in 3.1.
_________________
...and that ain't what you want to hear, but that's what I'll do.
KysenMurrin
Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:11 am
I'd assume since the 3.0 switch to give all healing credit to the healer.
_________________
Dekort
Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 am
as I said, this was long ago. just wanted to find out if I should be concerned.
though, since the changes to sanctuary, and the implementation of Divine Plea, mana problems have been gone.
I guess it was mostly just curiosity. Since I've only run 1 dungeon with a shaman healer, and it was a pug so I don't know his quality, and it was back in BC, I guess I just don't really know what to expect if/when this shaman gets up to the point where he's going to want heroic runs.
_________________
Cerwillis
Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 am
In my experience, Earth Shield is now credited to the Shaman for both healing and aggro. Up until recently it was credited to the person wearing the shield. I've seen mobs aggro me when the tank is hit and ES crits, if they don't have aggro on all of them yet. I would assume that this means that SA would work. As for the totem, its not clear whether it does or not to me, but as was already pointed out, the amount healed by one totem is pretty small, so the mana returns would be small as well.
_________________
Cerwillis - <Silent Resolve> - Durotan