Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tanking trinket question

acedanger
Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 am

Tanking trinket question

Armory

I have Lavanthor's Talisman, Essence of Gossamer and the Monarch Crab. I generally use the talisman when tanking trash and the essence on bosses.

Would I be better off (avoidance-wise) getting the emblem trinket (Valor Medal of the First War) and using it in conjunction with the Monarch Crab, when not tanking bosses? Trinket descriptions below...

Valor Medal of the First War
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Equip: Increases your dodge rating by 84
Use: Increases dodge rating by 335 for 20 sec.

Essence of Gossamer
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
+111 Stamina
Requires Level 80
Equip: When struck in combat has a chance of shielding you in a protective barrier which will reduces damage from each attack by 140, up to a total of 4000 damage absorbed. Lasts 10 secs.

Lavanthor's Talisman
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Equip: Increases your shield block rating by 74 (4.51% @ L80).
Use: Increases the block value of your shield by 440 for 20 sec. (2 Min Cooldown)

Figurine - Monarch Crab
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
+63 Stamina
Blue Socket
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +9 Stamina
Requires Level 75
Requires Jewelcrafting (400)
Use: Increases dodge rating by 300 (10.99% @ L75) for 10 sec. (1 Min Cooldown)
fuzzygeek
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 am
Avoidance wise, or mitigation wise? What's your BV?

If you're swimming in badges, sure, pick up the Valor Medal and use it as you see fit.

I personally have never bothered to pick it up, but some people swear by it.
_________________
Arcand
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:52 am
Unsupported by math, my sense is stay with the talisman. For most trash a block is as good as a dodge, and the extra block rating helps you get more value out of your Holy Shield and your Libram of Obstruction.
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
Warden
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:35 pm
Its really fight-dependent. You get more %s toward block-cap from the Lath's, which I use for trash, heroics, and fast-hitting bosses, but on the harder-hitting stuff I prefer the dodge... I'm not a JC, so the beauty that is the Monarch Crab cannot be mine. (Other trink is the essence, which I can't ever recall taking off).
_________________
Zoltar
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:16 pm
I use the Talisman and the Monarch Crab. I have the badge trinket as well but I rarely, in fact never, use it. I seem to get better value from the block trinket than the dodge trinket.
_________________
.
.
.