Skip to content
Maintankadin

Can I off-tank raids now?

Italianblend
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:13 am

Can I off-tank raids now?

I have zero raiding experience, but somebody that glanced at my gear told me I was probably ready to off-tank in a raid.

So if I may be a noob and ask:

Is my current gear good enough for off-tanking raids?

Also,

are there any sites where I can read up on general raiding 101 since I have never done it before, and specifically my role as an off-tank?

Thanks.
_________________
Panzerdin
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:20 am
You can maintank a bloody raid in that gear...

With regard to offtanking, the trick is just to tank what you're told to tank and make sure you've read the tactics (and understood them) beforehand.
_________________
If you shoot Anthony several hundred times with an anti-tank rifle whilst he is stabbed to death by a squad of ninja monkeys, he will be dead.

OK?
Martie
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:33 am
I offtanked naxx 10man in gear similar to that, so the answer is a definate yes.

You should be able to maintank most things as well, and please remember that for a lot of raid bosses, offtanking is harder (skillwise) then maintanking.

Take Kel'Thuzad for example. The main tank has to keep him in place and avoid his void zones. The off tank has to pick up the adds - coming from two different sides - really quickly, or clothies may get killed. That single moment of picking them up is harder then the entire fight for the main tank, since there is so little room for error.
_________________
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Shoju
Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 am
Yes you could off tank, or main tank pretty much anything. I don't know about malygos, as our tank was already decked to the max before we hit malygos.

One thing that I have noticed is that you have next to no enchants.

You have the 2 purchaseable ones, but since you are so far over the defense cap, let's look at enchants for your gear. Outside of cloak, I'm not going to list any enchants that would add + defense to your gear. You are well over defense min, so you can focus on other aspects.

Cloak:
Accepted - Superior Agility or Steelweave
Best - Major Agility or Titanweave

Chest:
Accepted- Super Stats
Best- Powerful Stats or Super Health

Bracers:
Accepted- Expertise
Best - Greater Stats or Major Stamina

Gloves:
Accepted- Precision or Major Agility
Best- Expertise or Armsman

Boots:
Tuskarr's Vitality or Greater Fortitude

Weapon:
Potency

I personally would take the non-expertise stuff, as expertise is (IMO) still a warrior stat. Let it come naturally through gear, but going out of your way to get it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I would go ahead and spring for the better enchants myself. I mean, with those enchants, you should easily pick up 1500 HP and some avoidance as well.
Fayia
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 pm
I suppose what stands between your gear and the maintank spot now is the man at the keyboard:

Know the tactics
Know what to mark and pull
Know your rotations to maximise threat
Know what fights you are better as MT and what better as OT

LK is very forgiving in this way atm...but that might change with Uludar (have MTed Patch and also been the Hateful Strike soaker) - you can fulfill many roles, but for example I found that me or a druid could deal better with Maexxinas enrage / cocoon than a DK tank...to name just one example...
_________________
Arnock
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:47 pm
you'll do fine MTing if you want

I'd reccommend going to tankspot.com and watching their strategy videos for the bosses you're doing, they do a great job of explaining the fight, specifically from a tanks perspective

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/
_________________

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside