Skip to content
Maintankadin

Reckoning

Tigermeat
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Reckoning

I have recently rolled a paly just to round out my tradeskills and see which is more fun to tank with. So far I have not been dissapointed, I soloed SFK (for the pally quest at 20) at lvl 24 ish, however I could not kill the last boss. I am thinking I will be able to solo alot of instances as I gain levels, i just wish I didnt have to put JoJ on every damn humanoid, maybe I need undead to fight, they never run.

OK, back on topic. Im lvl 35 now, and I have a decent tanking build. I cant post it, Im at work, but I have a good understanding of how tanking works, and which talents work together. My question is this:
Why wouldnt you take reckoning while leveling?

Fine, for raiding the extra attacks could cause problems with parry gibbing, but while Im bashing my way to northrend, I couldnt see not having this. Much to my surprise, a guide I was perusing on WotLKWiki said NOT to take reckoning.

When I am questing, like in STV for example, I mount up, gather up 4 out of the 10 elder STV tigers I need, and aoe them down. When reckoning procs (which is alot due to 4 mobs attacking me) I absolutely chew through the mobs. I just dont see how you could survive leveling a paly going for solo killing mobs. I mean, lets be honest here, the dps of a prot pally isnt very good until you have 3-4 mobs in your consecration, and reckoning hits. And I dont want to level Ret, it just doesnt appeal to me at all. So is the Wiki guide total garbage?
Scottzirra
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:05 pm
the issue with parry gibbing just plain doesn't exist anymore now that crushings from boss mobs have been removed. The reason you do not want reckoning in a raid build is simply that it doesnt proc enough, or work w/ SoV very well. However, while leveling its not a bad thing to have, especially if you are aoe pulling.
Isetnefret
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:08 pm
I did take it while leveling...

Nothing wrong with that...

I like PoJ while leveling/questing as well.

You could actually work PoJ into a level 80 tanking build if you wanted. I've thought about it.

Reckoning in a level 80 tanking build? I wouldn't worry about parry gibbing, more worried about the 5 points it costs.

What's your point of leveling a paladin? If you want to just have fun, and are mainly soloing, is it possible to be doing it wrong? (Unless of course you aren't having fun...)
_________________
Tigermeat
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:12 pm
good point. I usually do solo and Im having alot of fun. Paladins can do alot of thigns that would be plain impossible for other classes. What is PoJ? I am only 35 so I May not have that yet. I was referring to Judgement of Justice which prevents fleeing of cowardly mobs. But thanks for the posts guys. Its good to have the perspective of experienced individuals.
Arcand
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 pm
Not a fair contest, you had more to type than I did.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Mehnalas
Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 am
Is this the thread where I post sweet crits from hand of reckoning?
_________________