Skip to content
Maintankadin

Why block? How much block?

Isetnefret
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 am

Why block? How much block?

It's kind of discouraging to see:

XXXXXX hits you for 9500 (2100 blocked).

How much block value can a person reasonably get? I had the idea that I was going to reach the avoidance cap and stack as much block value as possible.....but seeing things like that in my combat log....I'm wondering if it doesn't make more sense to try to get as much dodge and parry as possible...

Granted....2100 blocked is a lot, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to mitigate that much...but damn....4 blocks of those kind of hits would still kill you.
_________________
Arcand
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:48 am
Well, you give a good example. Just using the numbers in your signature, you'd survive two of those blocked hits. The same two hits, unblocked, would kill you.

I only block about 1400 unbuffed, so even with the libram up I'm probably a couple hundred behind you. As for whether to prioritize blocking or avoidance, it's going to depend on the fight. If the boss attacks once every three days for eleven million damage, avoidance is your only hope. Smile
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Isetnefret
Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 am
I recommend AGAINST using Magelo for a signature, I'm too lazy to change it, but I'm actually at 1390something unbuffed block value.

With a combination of raid buffs, trinkets, and libram, I'm over 2000 for pretty much an entire boss fight.

If you notice my gear, I have a lot of gems that are probably not ideal, where I chose str instead of dodge or stam or someting.

Plus, I'm still missing some enchants because I got quite a few upgrades just last night.
_________________
Markoh
Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am
Ya in tbc block was laughable, now though I usually block for ~20-25% mitigation on the faster hitting bosses. This is our significant advantage, we will take more hits than a warrior but we will block every single one and that will make us less spiky.
_________________
"Salv doesn't fix stupid"
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Duces
Scottzirra
Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 am
Block Value is simply amazing. I am currently stacking as much BV as I can drop out of instances.

WISHLIST:

Solthas
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm
I'm at about 1850-2k block value raid buffed (not counting libram/trinket), and 31.5% passive block value. In my block set of course, which is still missing a few pieces of gear.

My hope is to get 40+ passive block and 2k+ block value unbuffed, though I suspect that's impossible without more iLvl 226 items.

The goal being of course to be passively block-capped with 2.5k+ block value and just pull entire heroics at once. Or something.
_________________