Skip to content
Maintankadin

block cap/avoidance cap

Fernrir
Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:42 am

block cap/avoidance cap

So I've never really paid much attention to this subtle change until here the other day when trade chat erupted about block cap =/= avoidance cap. And I'm yet to find any definite answers anywhere. But in case, what's the difference and why does block cap make more sense than avoidance cap? It's not like we're 'blocking' every attack, it's all an avoidance thing. So why did it suddenly change?
theothersteve7
Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:57 am
That said, if someone asks for your avoidance, they probably want your block% too, simply because those numbers get lumped together. Block doesn't fit as cleanly into the two categories.

I would usually assume that when someone says "avoidance cap" they mean the same things as block cap, because that's the only cap you're going to reach unless you're doing something weird and getting unhittable. Even then only with HS up.
_________________
Fernrir
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 am
hm...maybe I'm living too much in BC days...but why'd this new term come about? Block cap, to me, is still avoidance cap and while yes, blocking is mitigation, it was still avoidance cap then and in a sense, you're still avoiding damage by blocking it.
Arcand
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am
You're avoiding the damage only if you block the entire hit.

If any damage is getting through, then you're only mitigating.

(I get what you're saying and I pretty much agree, but we're trying to keep our language rigorous because about 2% of the time the distinctions are important - so why not keep in practice.)
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
theothersteve7
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am
There are a lot of complex terms in WoW that are useful to different characters. People usually string them together until they get close enough to the meaning they want to achieve understanding.

Meaning, hell if I know.
_________________
Fernrir
Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm
If that's the case, then by your definition, 'block cap' should hover around 50% or so, especially if you're really only focusing on what attacks actually hit you and 102.4% should still be referred to as avoidance cap.

From what I'm gathering...you can't really stick a label on something as shaky as this is as it's just too random depending on how you gear and how you focus on your stats.
_________________
Áthena - Level 80 Protection Paladin
Fernrir
Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm
"It has a significant effect on effective health calculations because you do those for worst-case attack table results. Usually that means assuming that every incoming attack scores a normal hit (worst possible luck) but if you're block-capped there's no luck involved. The worst that can happen is that every incoming attack scores a blocked hit. Suddenly your EH increases by some multiple of your block value. "



excellent answer and probably the best I'll find anywhere.

Appreciate the debate. ^_^
_________________
Áthena - Level 80 Protection Paladin
Lythac
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:39 am
Block capped is avoidance+block adding to 102.4% vs boss, block is capped but avoidance is not.

As Arcand said, avoidance cap implies that you can't increase your avoidance anymore when at 102.4%.
_________________