Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tanking issue: damage spikes

gherard
Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:11 am

Tanking issue: damage spikes

Hey all,

here's the link to my char http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmane&n=Gherard

as you see I am more than capped in defense.

I am quite farming heroics in these days but healers notice that I take a lot of damage and I cannot understand why.

As for my HPs I start with about 23,5-24,5 before buffs, depending on the consumable I use.

The thing I noticed is that BR is only at 11,32% that sounds really low and my total avoidance is about 91% (with SS active)

There is something I could have not noticed that may cause this huge hits?

thanks a lot for support
_________________
Wisepally
Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 am
Having both healed and tanked its surprising how much of a difference 5 or 10% more avoidance closer to the 102.4% cap makes. Although you should be well geared enough to handle most anything at this point, there is always room for improvement on your own side. Belt buckle should always be used no matter the level of your belt (they're extremely cheap to farm mats for) and some upgrades for your trinkets would make a world of difference. Maybe something like the block rating trinket from heroic VH (fairly easy heroic instance) and the defense trinket off Loken in normal Halls of Lightning would help immensely towards raising that avoidance.
_________________
Argali
Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:53 am
Avoidance = miss + dodge + parry

Block is a form of mitigation.

Huge hits can come from, attacks from behind, attacks while stunned, magic damage where your only mitigation is 9% or 15% based on your talents.
_________________
DisRuptive1
Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 pm
If healers are having problems healing you, stack EH rather than avoidance. It's not the best but it makes you easier to heal by having more consistent damage come in as opposed to avoiding most of it except for the few hits that take big chunks out of your health bar. When the healer starts going OOM because you're taking too much damage, then you can start piling on the avoidance.
rad
Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 pm
there are many places in heroics where mobs stun or knockdown or whatever, making your avoidance become crap. This becomes especially painful if you're grabbing lots of things at once (as pallies tend to do!). nothing really for it except to watch for them, and your healers should be ready for it.
Rythos
Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 pm
If you're spiking on trash mobs, Hammer of Justice can help out. I'll usually throw a quick stun on an off-mob before going back to the skull (or whatever your first dps target is). If your dps is focused and decent the first dps target should be dead or close to it by the time the stun wears off, so you never have to deal with all of the mobs beating on you at once.

Don't be afraid to use Divine Protection either. It's there every 4 minutes to pull you through anything particularly nasty, I'll often blow it if I'm about to charge into a pack that I know deals high damage.

Oh, and being a blood elf, Arcane Torrent can help control spikey caster pulls as well.
_________________
Noradin
Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:13 am
There are some mobs in heroics where 2% avoidance really seem to make a difference if you get 102.4% with it. When I first did CoT4 I had similar equipment to yours. Back then some of the dragons used to nuke me for more than half my hp with a single (special) attack. Three days later I never again saw my health move much at all tanking those same mobs.
_________________