Skip to content
Maintankadin

A Couple Questions...

Xanadiel
Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:17 pm

A Couple Questions...

I've been tanking as a prot paladin for a long period of time now (even before we've really been tanks in pre-BC) and WotLK has obviously thrown me for a loop to where I think I might even need to go back to basic training. My gear is fair, as I've been able to do enough raids now that I've got about all I need in 10s and some loot from 25s (scheduling has been an issue over the past couple months).

My main problem is that I can generate the highest tps in our guild on a single target - upwards of 5-6k sustained - but my guild leader continues to throw me into the old BC pally tank niche where we merely had to round up a group of adds and consecrate to hold aggro.

We were doing Sartharion 10 with 2 drakes up tonight and, of course, I get put in the drake/whelp tanking position. Every time the blazes or whelps spawned I would have a consecrate down and hit a HoR, but the adds simply would NOT go to me. I could get a couple off healers with BoP, AS, and RD, but then the dps start to complain as the adds reach them because consecrate is simply not holding the adds down anymore. The guild leader who is a hunter volleying yells at me "There's no point in AoEing! He can't even hold threat on them!" because apparently he continued to pull aggro on the mobs. RD of course was on cooldown as was AS from saving the healers.

So my main question here is WHAT should I do for AoE threat? I've tried a spell damage weapon, and that only seems to help minutely.

Furthermore, I've got a more compact question. I've seen paladins fapping over Shield Block Rating time and time again. Honestly I don't see the point of it at all after you reach >102.4% avoidance because the shield block is being pushed off the combat log and being replaced by (more useful) dodge and parry. I've had an argument over this with several prot paladins, and they can't ever explain their reasoning. It seems as if they are merely adhering to some kind of repeated notion from yesteryear.

So my secondary question is:

To what purpose are paladins stacking shield block rating after already achieving >102.4% avoidance?
_________________
DisRuptive1
Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:50 pm
To answer your first question, turn on Righteous Fury and hit every mob. If your healers are pulling, I can only assume Righteous Fury is off.

To answer your second question, paladins are not stacking block RATING after becomming block capped. They are collecting gear for different purposes. Some gear might give more block RATING allowing the paladin to swap out two other pieces of gear with block RATING for gear with more avoidance or EH.
Xanadiel
Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:09 am
Thanks for entirely sidestepping both of my questions without answering them.
_________________
Tinalt
Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:53 am
If your dps is pulling off of you, tell them to wait a bit. consecrate is a very small portion of our threat now, you need to have them long enough to use a HotR and/or ShoR.

If you're healers are making you run around, have them all group up and stand by them, the mobs should come straight to you.

In answer to your second question, any paladin tank that stacks block rating past 102.4% is doing it wrong. You should taunt them mercilessly until they learn how to gear themselves properly.

paladin priority

1. get uncrittable
2. get 102.4% (within reason, don't gimp your health/avoidance too much)
3. start swapping block rating for avoidance, or stack stamina and strength/block value.
_________________
LPskater4886
Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:33 am
for sarth with drakes its really easy have a holy pally stand within consecrate range at all times and make sure the holy pally has RF on his healing aggro will more than bring the adds to you and 1 consecrate tick will pull aggro off him no need to use a spellpower weapon. also i recommend just holding all the adds and slowly kill off the adds by yourself until tenebron is dead dps need to kill him and not worry about adds it becomes more clear when you are going for 3 drakes. dps needs to burn tenebron before shadron and you just cant spare the dps to kill adds til tenebron is dead.

but definatly have a RF holy pally stand on you as well as your CoH priest(aka aggro whores lol) and adds will come right to you, just mark yourselves with lucky charms and make sure they are always near you.
Xanadiel
Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:40 am
Alright, I apologize, I just don't want to be told to turn on Righteous Fury...that's not helpful at all and is just condescending. I came here with a humble statement "I'm doing something wrong, help me." and I get that as a remark...

Everyone else, thanks for the help! We had a holy paladin who was supposed to be using RF and healing right next to Tenebron but I always saw him on the other side of the platform. As soon as the whelps spawned they would aggro across the platform to him and the resto druids. And then whenever I finally got them back to me, the aoe would take over me because the whelps weren't sitting in my consecrate for long enough. I'll suggest the next time we do it that the aoe should be minimal or that I will call for it.

Thank you guys very much for the help and for clearing up that there is nothing mystical about Shield Block Rating as some people believe.
_________________
LPskater4886
Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 am
yeah you just need to hold all the adds if u have a unholy dk and a few ret pallies taking the adds near the dps behind tenebron can be helpful to whittle them down. and it is imperitive that your high aggro healers need to be be near you. when a healer gets aggro and they arent near you more than likely its positioning on their part. well as long as you are positioned near the middle of the platform so more healers can be near you the better
Argali
Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:45 am
With my gear, my consecrate ticks for ~300 per sec.

With RF up that equates to 816tps per mob.

If my dps can more than 816 aoe dps, I make sure they know to only start aoeing after a few seconds.

For a healer to pull aggro off my consecrate damage, they need to heal someone :

1 mob - 1620hp
2 mobs - 3264hp
3 mobs - 4896 hp
4 mobs - 6528 hp

Considering that healers can crit for 10k+, yes healers can pull mobs off you at the start of your aoe tanking.

Just make sure you're not just turning holy shield on, consecrate and hammer - tab target and judge, ShoR, and apply SoV to targets that don't get hammered.
_________________
Wolvar
Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 pm
Tab works fine for me.
_________________
Xanadiel
Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:20 pm
DisRuptive1, sorry I was a bit agitated when I posted in the first place to be honest and I took it out on you a bit.

Arcand, atm what tabbing is doing is tabbing to a target that is not even close to me. In BC it was tabbing to the next closest target, this functionality seems bugged to me now. Sometimes it won't even tab onto a target at all. Our warriors are complaining about it as well.
_________________