Skip to content
Maintankadin

Multiple Mobs & Threat

Najica
Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:35 am

Multiple Mobs & Threat

So I have not been 80 for too long and Ive not tanked much before lvl 78 but most reg instances at lvl 78-80 do not really give me problems. I did a heroic Azjol-Nerub last night with some geared out guildies of mine and I have to say it didn't go well. I know Im not anywhere near ready but with their help they said it wouldn't be so bad.

One thing I noticed is with multiple mobs, well, 3-4, I cannot seem to hold aggro on them. Maybe Im missing something but I had them marked in kill order and I do switch off now and again to hit random ones to keep them on me along with my consecrate but somehow one always seems to leave me and go elsewhere. *it doesn't happen often but it happens*

Also when doing the final boss in there when he goes underground and the mob wave comes... there are caster and melee ones but somehow they were always spread out - at least 1 of the casters wouldn't be with my grp of mobs we were killing... i found it hard to grp them all together. The boss himself wasnt hard to keep on me, just he was hitting me very very hard. The grp was great but I was really under geared for it I know. Just what gave us a few wipes was the add mobs when he goes under.

Any help or advise? Sorry for long post Sad

Edit for: Armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&n=Najica
daemonym
Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:53 am
some of the mobs in that zone (skirmishers i think they're called) randomly will focus on another party member, threat has nothing to do with it. and the waves on the last boss can be a pain to do. i try to tank the boss at the stairs and keep consecrate running there to try and catch them. otherwise use the bare minimum to keep threat, meaning only use your melee range attacks and consecrate while leaving judgment, taunt, and AS open to catch the ones that run past you. it's the same as the trash waves in the rest of the place, only more dangerous ^^
_________________
atropos457
Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 pm
Your gear leaves a bit to be desired, but I wouldn't get down about it - Heroic AN is one of the harder heroics in the game. There have been quite a few PUG groups that I have run with that can't get past the pulls before the first boss.

The problem is the Skirmishers. They have an Enrage ability that causes them to charge and focus on a party member (almost always the healer, in my experience). They ignore threat and taunts, and continue to attack the healer. You have several options:

1) Bring a hunter (Tranquilizing Shot) or Rogue (Anesthetic Poison). These two abilities can dispel the enrage effect and allow you to taunt the Skirmisher.
2) Stun/CC the Skirmisher. A good time to use Hammer of Justice.
3) Hand of Protection on the healer.
4) Tell DPS to go all out on the Skirmisher and burn it down before it can do much damage.

Thankfully, there are just two Skirmishers - in the far left group and the far right group. The other mobs in this pull are very easy with a competent healer, and the boss is a pushover compared to the mobs leading up to it.

Try other heroics, and ignore anyone that tells you that was your fault. Just be more selective with the groups you run H AN with, and MAKE SURE that everyone knows how to deal with Skirmishers. You can faceroll through most heroics even with bad dps, but it's important that everyone concentrate here.
Najica
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 pm
Yeah Im working on gear, like I said Ive not been 80 for too long Razz

Yeah Ill try some of the other ones and Ill still try and run some normals for better blues if i can find them. Just the muti mob thing with casters was kinda giving me trouble... most of the time its fine just in there is was a nightmare ><

Thanks. Ill keep it up and do my best. ^^
Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm
As a general rule, especially with better-geared DPS, really unload on the bad guys on the pull. If it's a group of three undead spiders you can start with...

Avenger's Shield
Exorcism
Judgement
Consecration
Hammer of the Righteous
Holy Wrath

It's scary to do this because you've blown off most of your mana bar in the first ten seconds...but you've also established some serious aggro control in the first ten seconds. After a blowout like that, you can probably hit Plea, spam Hammer and coast for the rest of the fight.

Also, switch to target B when target A is between 10 and 30%. You probably have a commanding threat lead on A, and even if it does break off you it'll get about halfway to the ranged before dropping dead. (I don't know if you've been tanking long, but after a while you get a fairly good feel for how much threat you have on your mobs relative to your DPS and when you can afford to switch targets.)
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Najica
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:16 pm
I have not been tanking for too long. It was just in that heroic I started to doubt myself as a tank. I felt bad for letting the grp down. I mean it was guildies and they are all very good, but... you know... I just had some questions. We all have bad moments - stuff happens, I guess Very Happy

thanks I'll give that trick a shot.
Mishakal
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm
The Skirmisher is nasty, I will stun him with Holy Wrath first which gives me threat on all the mobs and then HOJ when he comes out. Hopefully getting him very close to dead.

Also make sure the next add to die is the caster, never want to leave casters up.

As for the last boss I tank him in the centre, I dont really worry about the non-elite adds, I make sure that I pick up the elite ones and this is easy as they come down the ramp.

With the caster elites again do what ever you can to stun them, and make sure your DPS knows to go to the casters even if the melee are still about.

This is one of the harder heroics ... and its the only one I run daily as it wont drop the stam trinket ....
_________________
Thels
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:03 am
Also try to install a threat addon like Omen. It'll show you how much of a threat lead you have on mobs, so you know when needed that you need to push out a little more.

However, it's more likely the case to calm you down, as it should show a decent lead.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Belarkan
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:50 am
I wouldn't advise AN at the beginning. Latest boss can bitch a bit.
You can still get the casters by consecrate + shield of the righteoussness / hammer / hammer of the righteous

However, utgard donjon and nexus are rather easy to deal with.
Samud
Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:26 am
The best way do deal with adds in the last boss of AN is actually quite simple: you only have to aggro the elite ones which all come from the entrance.
So position yourself there and consecrate + HoR and holy wrath if you must. The DPS can handle the non-elite adds (just be sure to warn them beforehand).

About the multiple mobs, it can be tricky but one way is, if they are disperse, to get them together (DPS should wait for your consecration in these situations or some will escape) through AS then consecrate + HoR. It usually does the trick if your DPSers aren't button smashers that nuke right away!
Also as you upgrade your gear it gets easier.
_________________
Arcand
Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:49 pm
Yes, better-geared players sometimes seem to have a need to show off how badly they can play and still survive.

But I find if you know the pulls, mark fast and pull fast, you can usually stay ahead of their ADD-driven idiocies. If even that isn't enough, throw them on your ignore list.

It's not worth butting heads with them, and there's a limitless sea of DPS out there.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."