Skip to content
Maintankadin

Holy Shield scaling

Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:53 am

Holy Shield scaling

So I scrawled down some numbers while doing my Sons of Hodir dailies.

Per the tooltip, Holy Shield does 274 to 275 damage for 439 mana.

With 2258 attack power and 607 spell power, 3/3 Shield of the Templar (+30% Holy Shield damage) and 3/5 1-H Specialization(+6% damage) my Holy Shield blocks were inflicting 541.

Then I put Blessing of Might on myself and my attack power went up to 2808. My blocks inflicted 584.

This was on the dervishes who spawn on the frozen lake east of Niffleheim; I'm reasonably sure they don't have any damage-altering traits.

I'll crunch out the scaling coefficients myself in a bit, but I'd appreciate a couple other people doing it too so we can check each other.

Edit: My armory.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
DramaticBaby
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 am
Well, Im not good at these kinds of calculations, I let you guys do it Wink
_________________
Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 am
Using the forum as a notepad - here are some ways it might calculate HS damage with the 30% bonus and the 6% bonus.

275 x 1.36 + a(AP) + b(SP)

275 x 1.3 x 1.06 + a(AP) + b(SP)

[275 + a(AP) + b(SP)] x 1.36

[275 + a(AP) +b(SP)] x 1.3 x 1.06

And if the 'reflective' nature of Holy Shield causes the engine to not regard it as damage inflicted by me, we also get

275 x 1.3 + a(AP) + b(SP)

[275 + a(AP) + b(SP)] x 1.3

I'll work through those and see if there's one that gives pleasingly round numbers.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am
Marginal increase - adding 550 attack power increased my damage by 43.

43 / 550 = 0.0782

43 / 1.3 / 550 = 0.0601

43 / 1.36 / 550 = 0.0575

43 / 1.3 / 1.06 / 550 = 0.0567

So now we try each of those as a value for a and see if any of them produce interesting values for b.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Gowron
Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm
Not to upset any moderators :p

But with all that numbercrunching is this still basic?
_________________
www.lurge.blogspot.com
Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:09 pm
Equivalent and yours looks nicer, so sure. Smile
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
kenshin648
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:20 pm
The two divide signs could confuse someone lol. Or I suppose putting () around the first 2 (3 for final) terms would be the same.
_________________
I can has moar to horde side on Muradin?

Rhiannon
Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am
Ugh. I wrote a long post detailing the steps of my testing, and then my login session had expired and the forum ate it. Anyway, what it boils down to is the 274-275 figure shown by your tooltip is including the 30% from SotT already (but not any multiplier from 1hs). When I unspecced, this went down to 211, which is also what wowhead shows.

The co-efficients I got from my own testing were 5.63% for AP, 8.99% for SP. Rounding errors apply.

To apply these numbers to your example:

AP: 2258
SP: 607

HS damage = 1.3 [SotT] * 1.06 [1hs] * (211 + 2258 * 0.0563 + 607 * 0.0899) = 1.3 * 1.06 * 392.7 = 541.1

Edit:

and if I'd bothered to read the comments on wowhead I would have seen this comment saying:

"After testing with various levels of AP and SP, I've come to the conclusions that Holy Shield does scale with Attack Power and Spell Power in the Beta. It presently scales at approx. 5.6% AP and 9% SP."

which would have saved me quite a bit of effort!
_________________
Arcand
Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:49 pm
Redoing now that I've been given the answer. Here are some of the ways that HS damage could be calculated:

211 x 1.36 + a(AP) + b(SP)
a=0.078, b=0.129

211 x 1.3 x 1.06 + a(AP) + b(SP)
a=0.078, b=0.122

[211 + a(AP) + b(SP)] x 1.36
a=0.0575, b=0.0938

[211 + a(AP) +b(SP)] x 1.3 x 1.06
a=0.0567, b=0.0883

And if the 'reflective' nature of Holy Shield causes the engine to not regard it as damage inflicted by me, we also get

211 x 1.3 + a(AP) + b(SP)
a=0.0782, b=0.1485

And saving for last the one I think is most probable:
[211 + a(AP) + b(SP)] x 1.3
a=0.0601, b=0.1144

Edit: A longshot. For this a would be 0.0738.
[211 x 1.3 + a(AP) + b(SP)] x 1.06
a=0.0738, 0.1144

Got the coefficients over lunch. All of these could conceivably be right, now I need some buffed numbers to check each version's predictive power.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Garath.Gorefiend
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 pm
Yeah, testing on live correlates...

9.6% SP + 5.6% AP is added untalented

Talented, standard build with Shield of Templar and One-handed Weapon Specialization makes this:

13.77 % SP + 8% AP being added to the base amount....

Bottom line is it scales and scales very well...

Nax Geared tank should be doing about 800+ damage per hit on HS when buffed, probably 600+ when not buffed...
_________________
Garath Lvl 80 Paladin, Gorefiend