Skip to content
Maintankadin

Which aura to use?

azaela
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:37 am

Which aura to use?

I was always told to use Ret aura for extra threat while tanking, back in the days before Wrath. It was even suggested that taking imp. Dev. was a waste of points (that the extra armor wasn't really worth it). Now it seems that Dev is preferred especially if improved.

As I climb towards 80, I'd like to know the forum's thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
hoho
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 am
I use imp. dev aura pretty much everywhere besides soloing and doing stuff I vastly overgear. Retri aura was good in the old times as it helped generating aoe threat, with hammer it's not needed any more but 3% heals and ~10% higher armor is quite nice to have in most scenarios.
Aedolfmawini
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 am
Imp devo for tanking. Only exception would really be a resist aura on a heavy magic damage fight, and then only if nobody else could supply it.
Spite
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 am
spec into devo and use it. It will do nothing but help the raid. Let the ret pally use ret and make sure his specced into his ret aura for the haste.
Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:45 am
Be aware, though, that if there's a tree in the raid they provide the 6% healing boost just by being there. In that case you're giving up much less by switching to another aura.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
DramaticBaby
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 am
Well, I think the armor bonus is quite good too, increase my effective health a bit, and every little bit helps Wink

Therefore I don't think that it's only good for the 6% bonus to healing, I prefer it anyways, druid healer or not.


Edit: typos
_________________
Arcand
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 am
Me too, usually. But if, for example, you were doing Sapphiron and were the only paladin in the raid and had a tree? I think frost aura would take more strain off the healers than the extra armor would.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Arnock
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 am
I tend to use Imp devo for bosses, and use ret aura for trash/aoe

Unfortunately the guild doesnt have a ret pally =/
_________________


Prot gear if armory is ret
azaela
Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 pm
Thanks all for the responses. I will adjust my style a bit then to reflect the new changes.
Majiben
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Dev aura unless there is a swarm of aoe mobs that hit rather lightly then ret aura might be used.
_________________
Thels
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:52 am
I personally always preferred Def over Retri, since mitigation is your primary concern. Pre-WotLK I can see the use of Retri, as threat was pushing it pretty close sometimes, but this should no longer be an issue.

If you do have a Retri paladin with you most of the time, check if he specced for Improved Retribution Aura. Quite a few Retri paladins skip this talent, as it does nothing for themselves, since they shouldn't get hit in the first place. It's however a decent DPS/TPS addition for the tank, especially for Paladins.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Candiru
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:32 am
imp.ret aura does increase their DPS, since the tank will do more damage when hit, thanks to the ret paladin's aura!

damage meter's won't shot it as theirs, but it is REALLY theirs!