Skip to content
Maintankadin

Steps to obtain max threat in the first 15 seconds of combat

John Ra
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 am

Steps to obtain max threat in the first 15 seconds of combat

I consider the first 15 seconds or so of combat to be the most critical time for my tankadin to build threat and hold aggro against a boss. Even the most minor of mistakes can lead to a Righteous Defense chasing game through the entire fight. I would like to expand on the "typical pull" that is listed in Tankadin 101 - Gestalt and get some input on really good openers. Mine so far...

Prep before the mob arrives (you should have enough distance to do this):

- cast Seal of Righteousness in preparation for Judgment
- pull at max distance with Avenger's Shield to begin combat (this is quite possibly the best opener I've seen due to so much threat being created right off the bat, do not skip this skill for more points in other talent trees, which I did at first!)
- cast Holy Shield in preparation to block the mob's attacks
- cast Consecration to welcome the mob to your holy ground

When the mob arrives:

- cast Avenging Wrath
- cast Judgment of Righteousness
- recast Seal of Righteousness
- cast Exorcism (for undead or demon bosses, see Karazhan)
- recast Holy Shield when needed
- pop my defense trinkets

Time for a debuff:

- cast Judgment of Crusader/Wisdom (your choice, I'm not sure which I'd prefer)

For the rest of combat:

- HS, SoR, JoR, AW, Consecration (if mana isn't an issue), Exorcism (if applicable)

Any thoughts or amendments?
_________________
Hollyhell
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:13 am
I would personally Judge Crusader to start due to the fact that the extra threat generated can be invaluable.
Cames
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:39 am
Note casting Avenger's Shield during combat could be very bad as you become crushable.
_________________
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Prepared
Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:54 am
I pop Avenging Wrath once the mob actually comes in contact with you because you would gain more from the increased damage to all your offensive and defensive threat for the full duration of the buff rather than the initial cast (and possible miss!) of Avenger's Shield... followed by the 1-4 seconds of the mob actually getting to you, during which the buff is wasted.
_________________
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."




Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Nebuchadneza
Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:13 pm
In Kara I often open with a bubble Wink and then group everything up with Holy Wrath, though AS->Holy Wrath->HS->Consecrate->AW->Exorcism->JoR etc can work pretty well too Wink For things that are not undead or demons, similar strat as already suggested.
_________________
Cragus
Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:41 am
Ya i normally dont pop AW till im in the mix and boss positioning etc is all sorted, i want to maximise its time up withouth having to worry about other encounter factors Smile
_________________
Xanatos
Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:38 am
May also want to hold off popping your defense trinkets until later in the fight.

With all the frontloading done, your mana will be eaten up in a hurry so you really want to be taking enough damage to get your mana back to a maintainable level. I usually save my trinks for times when (1) health goes below 50%, (2) healer is silenced/stunned/oom or (3) boss pops flurry/enrage/PowerWord:DeathToTanks.
_________________