Skip to content
Maintankadin

Divine Plea Question

Viycktor
Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 am

Divine Plea Question

Back early on in 2.0, one of my guildies was a Prot Paladin (before I leveled mine) who had a complaint about consecration.

Back then, when consecration was cast, the animation had us put away our sword and shield (just like casting a heal) and kept them put away until an offensive ability or attack was initiated. He complained that until he had his sword and board back out, he would take an unblockable or parryable hit.

Now, I never verified this but I noticed a similar issue while using divine plea (putting away the sword and shield until they are pulled out again). Does anyone know if we can parry or block immediately after casting divine plea? I may just make a macro to cast divine plea and attack immediately after if so.

While divine plea is not likely to be used while tanking a raid boss (I'm guessing) and there's only a GCD window before you use some offensive ability, there's only a small window where this issue may matter. So odds are you may take one or two extra hits while using this on trash or in a heroic, so it's not a big deal overall. But it does seem like a possible reportable bug if this is the case.
Majiben
Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:59 am
I doubt they would repeat the issue but I do suspect it resets the swing timer like instant FoL does for ret paladins.
_________________
Conaan!
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:39 am
keep your weapon sheathed, use holy shield and sit there while a mob wails on you

you will notice your block with your forearm





forearms of steel
_________________
Tronden
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 am
I can stand in front of a mob without attacking or taking out my shield or sword... and I will parry and block anyhow Wink
_________________
Tronden of Runetotem (US)
Guildmaster <Guardians of Azeroth>
Worldie
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:53 am
Just as FYI, if you have weapons in your hands and autoattack turned on or are running, all casting animations don't put the weapons on your back (beside healing ones)
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Fridmarr
Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:12 pm
As a fix to the issue you describe, they simply made it so you can block with your shield on your back. Just walk up to a hostile mob without attacking an you will block attacks. You can even do it while mounted. So even if Divine Plea puts your shield on your back, you'll still block.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Kolbastrasz
Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:23 am
A good way to demonstrate this would be to ride through a lowbie zone and watch yourself block and parry attacks from mobs with your shield on your back still.

I would assume this issue was fixed by the same change that made it so you still avoid/mitigate attacks while taking a potion (used to not be able to dodge/parry/block while chugging a pot). It would be really odd if it affected an instant action like Divine Plea.
Thels
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:59 am
There was a "bug" back in the days that if your character was showing a cast animation for an instant cast, you wouldn't be crush immune, since you're unable to dodge/parry/block, and can only miss, just as if you're casting a spell.

This wasn't a paladin-specific problem and affected warriors as well. However, they had far less insta-cast abilities that showed that kind of animations.

It's fixed somewhere in TBC. IIRC it was the 2.1 patch, though it could be a later patch. It wasn't a problem related to specific abilities but to the animation in general, and thus also includes new abilities like Divine Plea.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin