Skip to content
Maintankadin

leveling up Enchant?

oldboyz
Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:40 am

leveling up Enchant?

need some advices ^^

my pal is JC/miner at the moment

i'm thinking about enchanting instead of mining
-because ore is nowaday very easy to get (alt or AH)
-because we have in fact very few enchanter in our raid/guild (i already sold a lot useless epic and blue from raid/heroic)
-because i plan to solo/duo many instances (palatank FTW)
-because i will duo-spec tank/heal (with a dps stuff too), meaning lots of gears to enchant

on the other hand...
-i already just leveling up Enchant on my alt DK... lv72 enchant390 : i've burn all my old enchant stock (and spent a lot on the AH) Confused . But my DK will never raid and can't self-enchant betweens my toons (except weapon) Crying or Very sad
-from a min-max point of view.. it change quite nothing (mining = 50end VS enchant +48end on ring)


i'm in a casu-HL raid (try on KT last night), don't have that much available time for wow


so... i'm wondering... long term good move, short time painfull Rolling Eyes [/url]
Igrado
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:11 am
I like having enchanting on my Paladin, for several reasons.

    # I have a great off-set for both Ret and Holy, including several epics, because I take any loot that is plate or healing that no one else needs, and just shard the old piece or use a previous shard for distributing at the end of the run.
    # Alot of people pass on shards.
    # Alot of people simply forget about shards.
    # Quest loot gets DE'd or the old piece for that spec+slot gets DE'd.
    # If one day I want to respec Holy or Ret, Enchanting will still be just as useful.
    # Enchanting is used by every class, all Guildies get a benefit from my profession. Many of them send me greens to DE, some even donate the resultant materials.
    # With Vellums (thank you Blizzard) enchanting mats never get completely wasted. Use them to level and post with your bank alt each weekday.
    # With Vellums, i can now easily pass enchants to my alts.
    # I never see instance/drop gear ever gets wasted/vendored, I always get something out of it. This is my favorite part. I hate being on alts and seeing potential shards get vendored.



The down side is, unlike my mining, I can't easily just go have a farm session for materials by myself. Either I farm instances for shards, farm quests for Dust/Essence (i hate quests), or buy them off the AH (Personally I find the AH prices appalling, maybe I should quest for the mats to sell...) With my mining, If i need $$ or need to get a piece of gear made, i can farm the ore msyelf and I have lots of Eternals from mining too. Enchanting isn't quite so easy.

Also, I dropped JC in BC to level Enchanting. Seeing the trinkets available now makes me a sad Panda. But the time/cost that it would take for me to return to Enchanting again is to much for me to want to tackle right now. I'm satisfied with Enchanting and overall I prefer it (no wasted drops or wasted old gear, ever ever again) I'm just jealous of the trinkets and the Prismatic gems. But, as you are going to be dropping mining, I think you'll be ok. Will be a bit tougher to level JC in the future.

$$-wise, Prospecting or Prospecting+cutting is still good money, even if you are buying the ore. I would recommend stocking up a LOT of ore on a bank alt before dropping Mining, particularly Titanium, depending on the prices on your server. You will end up dropping alot of cash leveling enchanting too, unless you are notably patient at the points where you run short on mats and have to farm instances to keep leveling, so stocking up some gold would be good too.

Here is an Enchanting guide to 375. It has been a long time since I looked at it, but perhaps it is useful to you.
_________________
phaqueue
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 am
sry to hijack the thread a bit here... but I'm currently debating the same thing... dropping mining...

I'm debating whether I would rather pick up Blacksmithing or enchanting...

have friends and an enchanter alt... so I'm thinking BS would be the better call - except for when I solo old things or run heroics... would be nice to not have to vendor stuff...

I still think that blacksmithing would be the best choice... I like the extra gem slots more than I like the ring enchants... but I'm kinda torn...

thoughts?
_________________
Majiben
Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 am
If you're looking for maximum stats, BS will become clearly better than enchanting for tanking and is already better for offspeccing ret.
_________________
crabcrouton
Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:03 pm
Enchanting vs. Mining is pretty straightforward. Enchanting is more flexible, Mining you can farm for solo (as someone pointed out). Personally, I dropped mining to grab Enchanting and I'm now making total bank on it.

Our full clear Naxx run last night had 6 DE'ed crystals, at 150g apiece everyone got their repair bills paid for. Very satisfied with my choice, as you can tell.

Enchanting vs. Blacksmithing is really a choice between min/maxing. The problem with BS, which they never did address this expansion, is that it's boring. You get to 430, and then do nothing w/ it aside from the occasional belt buckle. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my tankadin already had 375 BS so I couldn't justify dropping it to grab JC.

On the topic of JC, I hear so many of my guildmates gripe about it. The constant stream of daily quests just to stay competitive really burns people out.
Chunes
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:23 pm
about 4 of my guildies have dropped one of their profs just to be JC's for the JC only gems.

wouldn't be a bit surprised if they ended up nerfing them a little -_-
_________________
Threatco
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 pm
<JC nerf pls>

(I am so jelouse.)
_________________


At 540 Defense, when the tooltip says you have 5.6% chance to be missed, you really have a 4.11%.
oldboyz
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:12 am
thanks Igrado, your link saved me some time Cool

still debating, i think i'm gonna keep mining for the moment.
in the meantime, restock enchant mat.

by the way, thanks also to remimber me Inscription can make velum for both weapon & armors Wink
skolor
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm
For anyone who is doing enchanting, I've found 75-80 green armor to be a great way of picking up mats. Any green armor of iLevel 154+ gives 2-5 Dust or 1-2 Greater Essences, so I usually grab any of them on the AH for less than 15g. Auctioneer makes this very easy, I just do a search for green armor 70+, and first search by price (ascending), then by iLevel (descending). I go through 3-4 pages, buy the armor which is above iLevel 154 and less than 15g, usually spend around 300-ish g per time, and get 2-3 stacks of dust and a stack of essences (easily 500g on my server).
_________________
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
Kelstet
Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:19 pm
When I server transferred, my paladin had zero professions all I had on him was mining/skinning. After a long hard debate I went with Enchanting as my first profession I leveled this from zero at seventy in my last 6 months of BC. Up until this week I've been debating going either Engineering or JC for the trinkets/soulbound gems etc. I finally chose JC this week and will start to level it next now that my enchanting is over 440. I honestly think if you put the time into enchating it will yield some good results plus it helps to ensure you stay ahead of the curve when you acquire new gear. Not having to wait for a guildie to get on and enchant up your gear is very nice plus as others said it's a valuable asset to the guild I got a buddy that both his main toons are Enchant for this reason.

Kel
_________________
Kelstet

Have Tank will Travel.
Mozen
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm
A side question about Vellums: are all enchants now applicable to vellums? I recall Blizzard saying they want some of the "high-end" enchants to still require face-to-face interaction.

I have enchanting on my old main and it seems you really need to have a private source of vellum supply. I can never find vellum for Lv60+ enchants on my server. Sad