Skip to content
Maintankadin

Why was Hand of Righeousness needed?

Wraxen
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:22 am

Why was Hand of Righeousness needed?

Hello.

I am very new to tanking, really just leveling up as prot to even get a feel for everything, and I have a question about why the taunt was added.

RD (with the changes to be smart) appears to serve the purpose of a single target taunt.

Obviously, Blizz decided a separate single target taunt was needed, and I am just curious why, as I was expecting RD to fill that role.

Thanks.
kenshin648
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:26 am
If I am not mistaken, our new taunt will be single target only and it can act as a pulling tool and I think it can be used when going solo. Righteoud Defense, however, is able to taunt up to 3 mobs and seems to be limited to a friendly target that has been engaged in battle.
_________________
I can has moar to horde side on Muradin?

Aurelie
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 am
The fact that I had to macro my taunt to work like any other taunt in the game bothered me. "Working as intended" or not, RD was a pain to have as our only taunt. Before the glyph it always had a ridiculous rate of failure as compare to a druid or warrior. It requires you to target a friendly player, if not macroed, making tab-taunting impossible. Righteous defense made fights like four-horsemen a pain, as the paladin absolutely has to taunt first, or they'll end up with both of the mobs. Warriors have multiple taunts that fit in different situations. We had one taunt that failed constantly, we had to macro and was terrible in certain OT situations.

That's why we need Hand of Righteousness. Smile
_________________
Thels
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:38 am
You no longer need to macro. RD (as well as Intervene) naturally affect your target of target, if you target an enemy.

I have no issues at all with RD in 5 mans. It gets nasty when there are multiple tanks. If you "taunt" a mob that targets another tank, then you taunt all mobs attacking that tank, which, with pretty much all the bosses in Naxx being tauntable, can lead to disaster if the other tank ain't on it's toes and taunts back instantly.

It's especially annoying when you go with 2 tankadins, where you can't use RD at all to let each tank have one mob, as both tanks taunt both mobs all the time.

It's a nice utility taunt, but a more regular main taunt would be appreciated.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Janduin
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am
4H, taunting slimes off the Grobbulus tank, taunting Guardians from KT tank if necessary, all these things required the paladin to taunt first and the other tank to taunt back immediately because all the bosses are tauntable, and all of these situations created a real problem with 2 paladin tanks. So this is the fix. RD is still our primary taunt, and that is find with me.
_________________
Ashmadai
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 am
What Janduin said. On fights where you need to be picking up adds in Naxx you can't use RD if the MT has agro on the adds or you're probably going to taunt the boss too. Just troublesome issues like that.
_________________
thegreedyturtle
Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:30 am
I was really confused looking this up, because I hadn't heard about this before and kept getting the SM mace. As it turns out, this is actually called Hand of Reckoning. And when you're asking the DPS DK and Warriors to taunt adds off the MT, you know something is very wrong.

I'm still glad they lowered RD's cooldown to 8 seconds then didn't raise it again with the new taunt. We can have our cake and eat it too. Twisted Evil
Valin
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 am
In my opinion, they did this for Ret Pallies as much as they did for us. Not everyone has a Six Demon Bag, Linken's Boomerang, or Monster's Slayer Kit to pull with so the furthest a Ret could pull from would be the 10 yard Judgement range. Talk about a pain in the butt trying to complete those "Kill these flying things harassing villagers" quests such as the one right next to Valiance Keep. Ret Pallies should be stoked they can tag a mob from distance now Smile
dmok
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am
It was needed for a few reasons:

1/ Whenever a new add spawned, it was (moreso in the past) difficult to get it to target and stick to you for any period of time before it went running after someone else. It was *not* possible to taunt before it had targeted someone, and if that someone was >30 yards away you were screwed.

2/ Trying to taunt a single target off another tank with multiple targets. This is at its biggest issue in Naxx where other tanks had to work around the limitations of no single-target taunt on the pally end

3/ a >10 yard range pull for ret, and one not on a 30s CD for prot
_________________
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate
Wraxen
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:22 am
Thanks for all the responses.

So would this be used *more* or less often than RD now? I can see this replacing RD, unless you want to use the multiple mobs on a guy aspect of RD.

If we are talking one mob, wouldn't HaoR be better as the default response?
WATERBOYsh
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 am
Here is a good example why this was needed. My guild just started naxx 10 man and we did the four horsemen for the first time. To start I was tanking Thane and the dk tanked Baron. After 4 marks we were switching places. The second time we went to switch, he managed to taunt way before me, so when I taunted Thane back, I also got Baron. Both followed me to my corner and proceeded to kick my butt. The dk got him back pretty fast, but it totally screwed up our taunting schedule and when we switched again, I still had marks and we ended up wiping. We did get them down after a few tries though after some practice. I would imagine the RD issue shows even worse in the 25 man.
_________________