Skip to content
Maintankadin

Using WoW Webstats for Non DPS classes

Honorshammer
Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:43 am

Using WoW Webstats for Non DPS classes

It's fairly straightforward to measure a DPS class on WoW Webstats. Look at their DPS.

But how do you measure healers. It doesn't give you a HPS stat.

Or Tanks? Is Damage Taken really a good measure. Is one tank nessessarily better because he took more damage.

The goal here is I'm trying to sort our who in my Raid is carrying us and who needs gear/coaching.

Thanks in advance.
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
Everlight
Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:52 pm
I find WWS is excellent for tank eval. You can see the percentage effective avoidance, how spiky the damage they take is, how many crushes they took, and you can even get an idea of their tanking style by looking at the number of abilities they used (did they use SB all the time? rely on Sunder spam or Shield Slam?)

Personally, I use Recap, but that's because I really like the detail it gives me on damage received.

I've heard good things about Recount, I might have to look at it. I don't like SWStats, I've only found it's good for DPSers.
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
AergisAergis's avatar
Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:52 am
I like it for analyzing how our equally geared full prot war takes damage in comparison to me. He favors avoidance, I favor stam / armor. Though we both like armor, dodge, stam, etc obviously. I just mean subtle preferences, like +51 stam trinket or moroes +dodge trinket, devilshark vs. guilded thorium cloak, etc.

Here's a side-by-side of our last void reaver kill, which is a great place to see comparison in your tanks because it require mulitple tanks, which should be taking around the same number of hits due to the aggro dump. There's loads of info to evaluate tanking here. You can see that on each hit that landed, I took 3080 damage on average per hit compared to his 3220 , and we both have around 50% total avoidance. I took 0 crushing blows, he took 5. He mitigated more spell damage than me, by about the amount expected when comparing def stance to righteous fury for spell damage.

I have more examples, but it's often a very close comparison. Hopefully I can show that there is no magical difference between damage intake of paladins and warriors unless it's a difference in gear, like armor, stam, avoidance, etc. Assuming their close, which me and our prot war are, the damage should be near the same minus a 1%or 2% variance. In this case, it weighs in my favor. In others, it does not.


_________________
Spart
Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:08 pm
Ok, you have a good point. You can't go off how much healing a person did, because it's not like DPS. It's not, The more you do, the better we go. Healing depends on keeping people alive. If you spam heal people (as a paladin can) then you will have higher HPS. However, what good has it done when you have 70% of your total healing as overhealing? So, you would think you just find out what wasn't overhealing? Well that doesn't work either, because when the tank takes a hit, everyone throws a heal on him. So you suddenly have 6 people who are fast enough to start a heal on the tank just before/when he needs it, but because of the fact they all started at the same time, all the heals land at the same time, meaning you can't stop the heal because he is already on full HP.

Anyway, my point is, for healing and tanking you need to look at a range of stats. Find out whether the healers believe he (the tank) was taking spike damage, make sure he is uncrushable and uncrittable, make sure he has a decent amount of HP. For healers, you need to make sure they have decent amounts of +healing and MP5 (mana per 5 second while in combat), although for a paladin healer of spell crit also works, but not as well as MP5. Test them out on fights, if they go OOM a lot then it's likely because they don't stop heals (they see the tank is full or close to full HP, yet they continue to cast their heal).
_________________
Lore
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:56 am
I've seen really good healers do almost nothing for an entire fight, not because they were afk or not paying attention, but because they're really good healers.

I probably don't need to go into detail too much because I'm sure most of the people who browse these forums have at least some experience with healing. I raided primarily as a Priest pre-TBC; we got about 1/3 of the way through Naxx before 2.0 hit. The bad healers spam nonstop heals like crazy. They might very well end up with a good amount of effective healing, but they're out of mana in 3 minutes and start begging for innervates, mana tides, etc. Meanwhile the good healers cancel their casts when the tank dodges or gets topped off by someone else first. Meanwhile, they keep HoTs up (if they have them) and just keep a big heal "on the way." They won't sneak in the quick 2k heals (which often would have been taken care of by HoT's anyway), but as soon as the tank takes a big 8k hit, they're the ones with a Greater Heal with only 1 second left on the cast time to top him off immediately.

Not to say that spamming is a bad thing - a Paladin with a constant stream of FoL's coming on the tank is essentially giving him a ridiculously good HoT. That's largely why Paladins are considered the best single-target healers. However, I don't recall anyone ever complaining that a Holy Paladin was particularly hard to play Razz It's the Priests, Druids, and Shaman that you really have to look into before you can get a good idea of how good they are as a healer.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Lore
Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:52 pm
I find new content mindnumbing as Holy.

In fact I have the horrible tendency on the random occasions where I respec holy for new content (thank god it's only happened once in BT/Hyjal, and I respecced back to prot after 3 attempts) to get out a 2hander and start holy shocking things.

It's worth mentioning that our biggest issue with our Holy paladins is they tend to get distracted because they're watching TV or something >.>
_________________
Me, LOL!