Skip to content
Maintankadin

@Experienced Raid Leaders

Honorshammer
Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:20 am

@Experienced Raid Leaders

I need help.

[Background]
Our Raid Leader has left the game. The GM has asked me to take over Raid Leader.

Our old raid leader used a system where people got spots based on how many raids they atteneded. If Mage#1 and Mage#2 both wanted to go and we only had one more spot, then if Mage#1 had gone to 6 raids and Mage#2 had gone to 3, Mage#2 would go.

It lead to some very undergeared/underskilled groups. One week we'd get 4 bosses down, the next week we'd only get 1.

[/Background]

[Question]

How do most guilds determine who gets the Raid invites, and who gets left out.

I'm looking for a system that is easy to run, easy to explain, and ensure's quality groups that can actually progress.

[/End Question]
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
Mortehl
Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:23 am
A predefined rotation is the ONLY way you can do this fairly.

The goal here isn't to favor one person or another for ANY reason.

Set a rotation where people rotate by day. If after a while someone is missing their turn too often, remove them from the raiding team. There'll be exceptions of course and you don't need to turn it into a "job"; however a fair rotation will ensure your guild's future survivability.
_________________
Lore
Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 am
Really depends on the approach you want to take, which depends on the guild. It's really hard to find solid people that are going to show up every night, so rotating people around as much as possible is important unless you have that luxury. At the same time though, you want to kill bosses, and people that show up every single night and play well should probably be in the raid, because they're the ones that are going to make stuff die.

Basically, I let people guarantee their own raid spot by being solid, consistent, and prepared every night. The people who are not, I rotate in and out when necessary. Talking to people is also commonly overlooked, often I can get a volunteer or two to sit out if I just go "Okay, I've got too many tanks tonight, who's cool with sitting?"
_________________
Me, LOL!
Cames
Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:36 pm
Depends on what your guild is about and the reasons that one mage was only in raid 3 times.

IF you are a guild building to 25 mans, then eventually Kara raids are about gearing everyone and you should get a list from folks of what they need from what bosses.

For 25 man runs, you should take the A team until a boss is on farm status. Taking undergeared/inexperienced people leads to large repair bills and much frustration.

Does your guild have an active/inactive policy? In the more hardcore guilds that I have been in 3 day a week attendance would have gotten somebody on the inactive list.

I agree with the volunteer list thing. I am one of several people who have characters/skills that require me to be in attendance A LOT. I will take a day off when I can get it.
_________________
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Vanifae
Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:43 pm
I am the current raid leader for my guild and I currently tend to focus on what I consider the core of the raid, tanks and healers. Tanks we have in abundance, myself being the main tank, and then four different warriors who are not adverse to going protection for the raid.

Healers is always spotty and I rarely have to rotate them like I do my warriors, you only ever need at most two tanks, so any extra warriors are just DPS. But I try to use a system where I get people in for bosses that they actually need loot from if at all possible, but at the end of the day I communicate with my guild on exactly what I am doing if the raid is taking longer to form as I juggle people and spots for the best raid performance and success; while also balancing with making sure we don’t always take the same people.

Basing it on how many times you have gone can work, but I tend to base it on, what this person needs, their experience level, and their reliability. People want consistency and if you go from killing four bosses to one can prove bad for morale. You don’t want to sacrifice raid performance for the sake of getting everyone in, sometimes in the name of progression you need to bring your best cards to the table, and then let your weaker players ride in on the easier encounters.

Until they become stronger or the raid itself is strong enough to carry weaker players through tougher encounters.
_________________
Visit my crappy blog... Nerf This...
Lore
Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:44 pm
You may be overcomplicating things. Giving people a system to earn invites can easily just turn into a way for them to complain when they don't get them. Here's what I do:

1) I look to see who all is online
2) When it's time for invites, I invite the people I want in the raid

That's it. People who don't get invited, I just tell them "Sorry, I don't have a spot for you tonight." If I have a bunch of people I want in and I can't invite them all, then I do the asking if anyone can sit thing.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Thels
Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:46 pm
What you need to check is how often people are available, not just how often they are in the raid.

If in the above example, Mage#2 was also there every day, he just didn't get a raid spot, then Mage#2 should get it, unless there's other reasons playing into it (Mage#1 greatly outgears Mage#2, Mage#2 didn't buy Polymorph from the class trainer, etc...).
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Joanadark
Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:50 pm
Attendance should determine who gets loot.

Promptness and Preparedness should determine who gets Raid Invites.

P.P.P.; Prompt+Prepared=Priority
_________________
Tanking setup:
http://ctprofiles.net/4325913
pyrotechniq
Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 pm
We do it on attendance basis kinda like what you said with mage #1 and #2 for stuff thats been on farm for 2 weeks. We call it normal rotation. Also you are not allowed to be rotated if you were rotated the night b4. For stuff that is not on farm or just recently on farm we do "reverse rotation". Meaning that Mage #1 would attend instead of #2.

This gives us a system where we have our best or most experienced on harder content but also allows us to keep a deeper roster by giving players who don't raid quite as much more opportunity on farmed stuff.

It works for us but I'm sure rotations depend a lot on the play styles of the peeps in your guild. Hard to cater to them all.
_________________
Maranus
Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 pm
The only good way to run a raid is to do invites COMPLETELY subjectively. You need to field a raid with a consistent 10(or 25) people, who are competent and willing to put the extra effort in in order to succeed.

For 10 man raids, just talk to your choice 9 players and try to get a time when everyone can raid, then do it. Make sure if someone can't make it one day/week/whatever, make sure they contact to so you know to make sure you have a replacement for them.

For 25 mans, put on the auto inviter and have everyone and their mother whisper for an invite. Say in /RW something along the lines of "WE HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE, IF I KICK YOU, NO CRYING." Commence the culling.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance