Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do I keep the third (and even the fourth) mob on me?

Hebberig
Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:53 am

How do I keep the third (and even the fourth) mob on me?

Hi all,

I've been tanking now for a few months and been slowly getting my gear and tactics up to where I hope them to be, but i still have some problems with keeping a group of mobs on me.

1. I try to pull a group with AS and then put up a SoR and HS and down a consecration, usually the highest one. But when often happens is the 2 of run towards me and the 3rd one completely ignores the consecration and runs thru it, usually towards my healer or the most soft party member. How do i keep that from happening?

2. If the above doesn't happen (sometimes) it often works out that the mobs keep with me for a while and then one suddenly decides to go on a rampage elsewhere even though i seem to have enough threat (on my threatmeter). Do I switch sometimes between mobs to keep enough threat on them or am i doing something else wrong. I consecrate once in a while to keep the threat going on all the mobs but that still doesn't work.

So my problem seems to be i can't keep more than 2 of them occupied for a long while.

I think i've got the obvious stuff covered: I got Righteous Fury running Wink and often use a lower level consecrate (4 i believe). If you are wondering about my spellpower on armory i use wizard oil and often an adept's exilir so my spellpower should be enough.

Another problem i'm facing is running out of mana quite quickly even though i try to conserve it and on bigger mobs/bosses use a JoW.

All good tips are of course welcome!

Thanx
_________________
Lore
Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:01 am
When AoE tanking, I spam max-rank consecrate. It should pretty much always be up if you want to hold aggro on a bunch of things. Ret aura and BoSanc help as well.

Use JoR to snap extra mobs that AS doesn't get into you.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Elthar
Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:09 am
edit: just seen armory link - so I know you are 70 Razz

In answer to your questions.
1. If you are pulling then no-one else should be in combat - let alone have agro. If the mobs are going straight to the healers this means that the healer needs to wait till you have agro before dropping any big heals. Once mobs start hitting you ret aura, holy shield and consecration should keep them glued to you.

If the mobs are running past you just keep and eye on the mob and taunt it back to you.

2. If single mobs are leaving you once you have agro it means that the dps are hitting the wrong person. Do you use raid markings (ie skull for first kill)? if not you could be tanking 1 mob while the dps are hitting another. Put up a skull and focus agro and dps on the skull. Ideally you should only be targeting the dps target - the others will generate more than enough agro just hitting you.

If it's still a problem give the dps blessing of salv.

As for mana issues - especially in 5 mans we always have mana issues - just accept that you will have to drink between pulls now and then... but so will the dps/healers so you are not really losing time. If you really outgear an instance switch some tanking gear to spell damage gear so you take a bit more damage and keep more agro.
Elcure
Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:35 am
Assign mark to CC if required, mark targets and be certain people knows the one to burn (skull usually) and stay on it with your seal and attack. Conc, HS, ret aura and BoSanc will keep the rest on you, after they have hit you once, healing should not pull them(though you shouldn't need all that). If your not leader ask to be promote so you can mark.

If dps pull one that is not the skull, either they don't assist (may kick them out of the group after the first warning) or their AoE too quick. If DPS pull the mark it's either them doing to much damage and not taking care of threat or you not generating enough. Healing should never pull aggro out of an AoE group if you keep your spells up.

Another thing, if you run OOM very fast, maybe try swapping some avoidance for more spell damage somewhere because that mean your not getting damage enough for the healing to keep resplenish. That may solve some aggro problem too. Some will say tank pantless too (or remove any other part of your gear though pant show those sexy a$$)
_________________
Elcure,

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Elcure
Caerdwynn
Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:53 am
Erm, OP..

Are you using retribution aura to tank, or devo aura? If you're not using retrib, you should be.

Also, switching your blessing from Kings to Sanctuary could help a great deal, as well.

When you've got retrib, sanctuary, holy shield, and consecrate all up, there shouldn't be a damned thing that can pull those mobs off you after 2-3 seconds.
_________________


Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Maranus
Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 am
There shouldn't be any reason for them to bolt for your healer on the pull... they can't generate agro by overhealing and when you pull, everyone should be topped off... Also, if you just intercept them with a consecrate it should do fine snagging agro.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Ardaic
Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:41 am
If I'm pulling with AS, I'll usually be up about 5-10 yards in front of where I'll tank. Then, I consecrate and pull; then, go to the very back of my consecration. By the time they get there, they've probably hit 3-4 ticks and I've got them locked in time to put down the second consecration. Of course, I run with enough spell damage that epic-geared hunters need BoM to have a shot at pulling for traps. Then again, they don't CC much with me.
_________________
Nebuchadneza
Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 pm
Tell your DPS to wait a little bit longer maybe. With Omen or KTM you will see the threat spike and that's when DPS should know it's ok to start. Max-rank every spell and remember more mobs beating on you offsets the mana loss through being healed. As already stated, call your targets out as the focus. There shouldn't be any need to cycle targets with consecrate and holy shield etc firing. Just switch to the next target before the first is dead and so on.
_________________
Ills
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 am
As was said a few times before, it sounds like people aren't assisting on your target. Also, by the time you need a heal you should have aggro, so let the healer wait a bit longer before throwing a heal on you.
_________________

www.kleaandron.com