Skip to content
Maintankadin

Avoidance

idontdie
Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Avoidance

I've been trying to read up on this whole avoidance thing. I really don't quite understand how the formula works to get the solution so I'm kind of lost on what my avoidance is. I've never really been good at math (that's why I've stuck to genetics lol). My defense is 509, dodge is 16.65, parry is 16.36, and my block is 16.56 (51.89 with holy shield). Can someone please explain and simplify? Maybe tell me how this all works and how to get my avoidance? Confused
Shamora
Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 pm
Dodge+Parry+Block+Miss (it's in the defense tooltip)+5 (base miss chance)+30 (for holy shield)+5.33 (if you have the Libram of Repentance)

So in your case it would be:

16.65 - Dodge
16.36 - Parry
16.56 - Block
06.36 - Miss (again from your defense tooltip)
05.00 - Base Miss chance
30.00 - Holy Shield
05.33 - Libram of Repentance
----------------------------------
96.26 - TOTAL
_________________

Keondra/68/NE/Rogue/Caelestrasz
Tev
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:40 pm
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combined avoidance. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() +5+(GetCombatRatingBonus(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) + 20)*0.04,1,0.5,0)
END


Got this macro a while back, will tell you your combined avoidance.

*NOTE*

(GetCombatRatingBonus(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) + 20) This 20 assumes 5/5 Anticipation, change it to however much you actually get from anticipation if you have less (will be 0 when the expac comes out as anticipation will give dodge instead of defence).
_________________
Sturmadin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 am
What you really need to know is, what are you working towards.

That is 102.4% avoidance so that you can become uncrushable and MT a raid boss (assuming your guild/pug allows you)

Take your dodge chance, block chance (add 30% for holy shield), and your parry chance, and a base 5% chance to miss.

Add these together and if it adds up to 102.4% or more you are ready.

I suggest getting tankadin (an addon) for this it will monitor your avoidance and tell you how short (or over) you are from uncrushable.

Hope this helped.
_________________
Tanks don't whine. They only make two sounds: solid resonating clang of their armor getting hit, and the ringing death bell of their armor hitting the ground moments before a party wipe!
Holyfuri
Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:23 am
I feel I should point out what usually causes confusion over this.

There are two different ideas that typically use the same term, avoidance.

In the traditional sense, Avoidance is anything that allows you to 'avoid' damage. This is dodge, parry, and miss.

Technically, the calculation to determine whether or not you are uncrushable is avoidance + block.

For simplicity, 'avoidance' is typically used in place of 'avoidance + block.' Although not technically correct, it is common usage now.
_________________

WotLK... birth of THUNDERJUDGE! and BUBBLEWALL!!