Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tankadin primer sent to brother planning to make a tankadin

Wyleai
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Tankadin primer sent to brother planning to make a tankadin

I'm sure there are things I missed and things I didn't need to say, but I just sent him this massive text dump to get him started and to try and get him 'shocked out' of the DPS mindset he has from playing rogues and hunters. Wink

The tone and style is also written mindful of the fact that I sent it to my brother, but I still thought it would be handy here for those not looking for reasons to take offense at things I say. Very Happy

Grehn|Skipjack
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Tankadin primer sent to brother planning to make a tanka

I read through most of it, and skimmed the end. Nothing I can really disagree with other than some things that are just personal preference, but one thing caught my eye. 15 fps? Heh, I get 15 fps in the empty parts of Shatt. 20 is a good day. I don't know what kind of computer your brother runs though, so maybe 15 is a good number for him.
_________________

Beta Paladin Forums
Guillex
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:34 pm
People try to start conflicts on a public internet forum?

NEVAR!

Good read though. I like it, W.

errrr ... edit: There isn't a faction specific blessing. It's the seal.

We all have the same blessings.
_________________
Official thread killer

Wyleai
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 pm
I'm shooting for 15fps in a run as a way of telling him, and I forgot to include this part, to cut down on his addons and graphics setting if his fps gets low enough to cut into his reaction time. I'll have to add that last part next time I talk to him. Its a balancing act though. I once cut my graphics down so much to boost FPS that I didn't see the spell effects of the boss I was tanking and so didn't see the masive AoE burst of damage he kept popping... That was the final boss in Slabs, who has the pulsing thing going on on the floor. I cut it out to save performance... but its pulse pattern warns you that you're about to get smacked. Three wipes later I corrected my situation. Wink
_________________

bub64882
Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 am
Very nice! I have a friend stressing to me the beauty of decursive, but I didn't think it was necessary. I'm rethinking that now.
Angella
Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 am
So I've been healing forever and never had decursive.

I have been using grid. Is it fair to say that grid is an acceptable substitute?
Manius
Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:30 am
I found decursive to be much more essential Pre-BC when you'd click the Decursive icon and it'd heal the next affected party/raid member. I remember Lucifron fights on my mage being 90% decursive spamclicking. Nowadays I just have remove lesser curse macro with mouseover and the groups dragged out.

Should probably check it out though.

Also, is there any addon setup that could be considered "essential lite"? I generally don't like having more than 3-4 addons running, and am wary of any addon that modifies the look of the general interface.
_________________
Armory Profile
Joren
Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:36 am
Nice piece, I'll definitely think about decursive, though I usually just clique my way out of those situations.

If your brother played hunter, he should have some basic idea of aggro - thus he should be very fine with that text. If every tank I've ever been with in any level instance knew that, I'd have to tell them alot less. Cool Everytime. Everywhere. Gahh...

And thanks for the /sleep tip, I just haven't been hardass enough I realize.
_________________
Wyleai
Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:11 pm
That decursive lights up is why I advocate it. There's nothing to learn. You just put the addon into the Addons folder, log in, and wait for a red box to light up on your screen. When it does, you click it.

It's a wack-a-mole debuff removal.

I find that even when tanking, I'm responsible for 90%+ of the debuff removal because the rest of the group, PUG or guild or friends, can't find their spells...

And nearly evertime a CC hits me and stuns, petrifies, or polymorphs me; we wipe... Even if removal would be an instant cast click and the entire rest of the group has a spell to remove it...


On the note on blessings and seals and me getting them mixed up... Oh well. point still gets across. Smile Show you how much I use that blood elf seal. Smile
_________________