Skip to content
Maintankadin

repositioning casters

Ratly
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:17 am

repositioning casters

When faced with encounters that have casters mixed in w/ melee mobs, what is the best method for moving them all should the need arise?

Here's an example. In Magister's Terrace, whenever the mobs do the magic dampening shield, I'm told to move out of the range of the field. The problem is that when I move, casters refuse to move with me. What would be the easiest way to alleviate this situation? I already use arcane torrent as often as I can, however in the instances where it's not ready for use, I have problems getting them to move where and when I want them to.
Levantine
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:21 am
Tell your mages to stop being lazy and learn where their counterspell is.
_________________


5/6 SSC, 3/4 TK, 4/5 Hyjal

Funstrider, Vashjina and Archilol can go diaf
Toxi
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:26 am
Belfs boy, I tell ya! Some of us don't have an aoe silence Rolling Eyes What you do is you let your group help you. I would whisper each applicable member with a silence/interrupt ability with "Hey, I'm gonna need your help in here a little bit - can you <frost shock/counterspell/silencing shot/kick> the casters in here so I can move them around better?"
_________________
AS+HS+PMS=GRRRLTank
Manius
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:29 am
Counterspell is one of three things a mage has to do in MgT, along with Sheep and DPS. It's not hard. It's not hard at all.

I feel guilty every time I run instances/raid on my mage and don't have to AoE. It's all so goddamn simple, all the skill in being a mage goes into percentage tweaking rather than the life-and-death of tanks and healers.
_________________
Armory Profile
Snake-Aes
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:27 am
Typically, Line of Sight. Use your group's interrupts as necessary.
If the mob doesn't spam spells, he may follow you around, too.
_________________


Spankadin in development.
.'>';
Ratly
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 am
Unfortunately the group I usually run w/ consists of an enh shaman, 2 warlocks, and a resto druid. The shaman is usually really good about doing earth shock.

Also I almost always LoS pull. That usually solves the casters coming to me, however sometimes the warlocks do something and instead of running to me the casters just start nuking the locks...

I have a dysfunctional static group
rodos
Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:14 am
It generally depends what's going on. For MgT I have a tendency to just back out of the magic field and let them pound me from range for a bit. I've usually got a decent threat lead. Stun them if you want to play it safer. Also, depending on the kill order, if you don't have a lot of melee on you you can toss your shield at them to help keep them off the squishies.
_________________
Arcand
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:11 am
If you have a group that can follow simple instructions, have them stand back. Hit Divine Shield, then pull.

The way the decision tree for casters works, if you're immune to every spell they have they run in and melee. The hard part is getting the rest of the group to do nothing (nothing!) until you've dropped DS.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - Tanked 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 1/1 ML, 6/6 ZA, 0.5/5 SSC, 1/3 TK, 0/2 MH, 2/4 BT
The only real things in this game are the other people playing it - so get some f-ing manners.
Wyleai
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:32 pm
LoS pulling is your friend. I've LoS pulled back by as much as two rooms back in an instance due to lack of corners.

When I was healing in MrT on my Druid, the tankadin did a LOT of LoS pulling. He'd call where he was pulling to, and tell us to wait, and then he'd go grab them. Anytime we had a group that listened to him, it was a speed run. Anytime we had some happy-go-lucky DPSer follow him out to the mob's starting location, we had wipes.

You can't always do it, but when you can, do it. I LoS pull even when I don't need it just to keep up the habit and train my DPS to work with it.
_________________

caboom
Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:19 pm
The way i do in mgt with casters is CC them, because i am mostly pugging mages(my guild is low on them) and u can't realy rely on puged ppl skills i just mark the casters(ie warlocks, magisters) for sap and sheep, or just los pull as it helps in instances with casters. Whenever u can't los pull, tell ur ppl to not dps till u atack the mob, and just run back, till the caster is next to ur ppl, then run back up to him and kill it.
_________________