Skip to content
Maintankadin

AS+Sap=Mad Group

Arimor
Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:01 pm

AS+Sap=Mad Group

Now, I'm a pretty newb tankadin, haven't even tanked a Heroic yet, and I need a bit of help.

Now, I know to apply other CC after the pull as a Pally, but what about sap? I've always ended up hitting the sapped mob in 4+ pulls, and it I can't pull in groups of three or less with sap. I've avoided using sap to the furthest extent possible, but the group wants it. Sheep pulls can make the group a bit more tense(as in, make them panic), and don't always have Hunter for MD pull. Can anyone give me any tips with this?

On another note, how is my prot gear going?(I know I need a belt replace):
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz+Modan&n=Arimor
Bobness
Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:22 pm
Wand Pull/Sheep pull..

Then AS when mobs get closer, not had any problems with this.
Arimor
Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:33 pm
Wow, I feel slightly stupid. Thank you.
Aina
Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:25 am
Hey Arimor, I personally never use any CC anymore in regular 5-mans, so I don't have to deal with that problem anymore Smile But, your gear probably still has a way to go before you can do that.
Have a look at Dreamcrusher's gearlist - http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=163

Also, if I were you I'd ditch your warrior sword, and get a spelldamage blade. These two quest items should help your threat a ton till you can get a Continuum Blade or one of the other instance drops.
Vibro Sword - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31448
Blade of Retribution - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31821

Also, a well-placed Consecration is an awesome tool, even if you just use rank 1 to tag aggro.

Good luck with your tanking!
Sereen
Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:37 am
^_^ What Aina said. (I'm really just posting to test my sig, but it's good advise)

-Ser
_________________

Maruko_
Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:57 am
For groups of 4+, make the sap target one on the outer edge, and pull using your AS targeted on the mob on the opposite edge.
So if letters S-M-W-P are your mobs standing in a line, you'd sap S and pull targetting P (or vise versa).
Bit harder when the mobs are in a more square formation, but I can't think of too many trash pulls like that.

Nothing wrong with body pulling for smaller pulls... or if you're worried about aggroing a second group by getting too close, have someone else pull then taunt the mobs off when they get close and drop a consecration asap so they stick to you.
_________________

(not always accurate, I spec holy for arena)
Candiru
Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:14 am
I found what works well in heroic SL for instance is the following:

Rogue goes and saps his target

Mage sheeps to pull, and runs back into the previous room with everyone else

Mobs run through an earthbind totem and a consecration before getting into the room, so all are now agroed to me.

Shadow priest Mind Controls now.

Worked really well for us Smile
_________________
Lightskin
Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:24 am
I don't have passive CC such as rogue sap, only active like warlock/mage/priest MC.


I have not done heroic SL in a long time because I hate the instance... but I would recommend by saying to not CC with rogue sap at all.
_________________
Lore
Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 am
I AS, and if the sap gets broke, the rogue should have sapped something else Razz
_________________
Me, LOL!
Candiru
Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:07 am
actually with some practise you can often avoid breaking the sapped target anyway. For example in SL in the 2nd boss room pulls:

1 2
3 4
5 6

I would mark the 4 for a sap, 5 for sheep, 3 for kill (say) then throw my shield at 6. It will then always hit 6-5-3 and not break the sap since the gap between rows is bigger than the gap between the columns.

In a 3 mob equidistant pull this is harder though, since aiming for the middle will randomly hit one of the other two. Gives you a 50:50 chance of sap working.

Or you can use Linken's boomerang, but you loose a trinket slot then so its probably not worth it.
_________________
Sabindeus
Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:45 am
get a good healer

get good gear

stop using CC

problem solved! lol.
_________________
Candiru
Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:00 am
in heroics you really do need CC, otherwise you will be bursted down now matter how good your healer.
_________________