I'm a level 24 Paladin who, at the moment is specced towards Retribution, but wants to become a Tankadin. Earlier, I was inSFK with a group consisting of:
1 Rogue
1 Priest
1 Druid
Before we went in, I asked if they'd like me to tank (they were already formed and grouped, so I figured it was polite rather than barge in shouting "I've got 'em! Kill what I hit, and heal me!"). I've never tanked before so was looking forward to it. It's not too difficult a zone (I've soloed deep into it before), so I figured if I made a few mistakes it'd not cost us.
We went in and almost immediately I noticed I couldn't keep aggro. I had RF up, and I was using RD to get the mobs off the druid and Priest, but I just kept losing aggro to all my fellow party members. I tried everything. I ditched SoC from my action bar and replaced it with SoR because SoR hits more frequent, I used Consecration but only a few times did I manage to get the mobs hitting me. When they did, the whole thing worked like a dream. They hit me, the druid and rogue did the DPS and the Priest healed me.
The pull worked like this:
One baddie would be marked, the Shaman or Priest would cast a spell to pull them, and I would use RD. Should I have then used Consecration as they turned to engage me? Each fight left me really low on mana because I was using it all trying to get the mobs back onto me.
Another problem is up on the walls I kept getting silenced. When that happened, it happened right at the start and left me useless.
I should point out that the group were perfectly nice people and the Priest is now on my friends list, though they were a bit gungho at times and did engage before I had a chance to establish any aggro, but they didn't do it all the time, and even then I was using RD. We made it through alive (and we weren't really in danger of dying tbh) but I did feel a little annoyed by my inability to tank effectively.
I'll have to pay 5g to respecc again. I only changed away from prot because I couldn't find a group so decided I needed to solo.
Naeldon
Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:03 pm

