Skip to content
Maintankadin

Hit Rating - how important is it?

Wolvar
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:08 pm
As I said before, I wouldn't rule that out just yet.
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Data of interest:

1. during 2.3, testing indicated 17% taunt resist:

http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t18317-2_3_miss_rate_vs_boss_mobs/

2. For brutallus, taunts rarely happened. There was some speculation that he simply had only a 1% taunt resist chance which could not be mitigated, but I couldn't find any testing of this or large-scale analysis of logs

I also couldn't find any data on taunting post-2.4 to indicate whether the change was a Brutallus-only thing or applied to all taunting.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Dorvan
Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:42 pm
Testing for different percentages is more difficult to tease out than evaluting "yes I got a resist/no I did not", especially when "neither 8% or 17%" is also a possible hypothesis. The easiest tests are to gear for X% hit, taunt a bunch of times, get no resists, then gear for X-epsilon (probably.5-1%), taunt for a while, and show that you get a resist.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Dorvan
Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:59 pm
I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge I'm mistaken when it's based on data rather than blind assertion (it's hardly the first time, and if I may toot my own horn a little here I like to think it's one of the reasons I maintain a pretty good reputation for TC discussion here).

We know something changed for Brutallus, since no one was able to replicate the 17% figure for him, and in fact any sort of taunt resist was quite rare (though they did exist). The question becomes, was there a mechanic-wide change, or was it Brutallus specific. Both explanations are plausible, and I haven't seen any data to sway me one way or another.

More testing is in order.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Majiben
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:25 pm
Actually considering how much hit we have on our gear the glyph would likely eliminate all misses on lvl 82 mobs even if it was spell hit.
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:28 pm
Yep, even spell resist for +2 level mobs is only 6%, so if a glyphed level 80 toon had a taunt resist against a level 82 mob tat would really throw things for a loop.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Diocaska
Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 pm
Okay. Small sample, but a sample none the less.

Me and Holy Paladin. First went to Kara. Get to Attumen.

Results:

Meph - 2 taunts. - Immune

... wounded.

Anyways. We next tried the Raptor boss in ZG. Killed the Raptor so not to screw the results.

Meph has Enlightened Judgements. Thus giving him 4% hit rating. I had Righteous Defence Glyph and no hit rating gear.

Diocaska Taunts - 139 / Sucessful taunts - 131 / Missed taunts - 8
Mephasus Taunts - 132 / Successful taunts - 118 / Missed taunts - 14

Diocaska missed taunts = ~5.8%
Mephasus missed taunts = ~10.6%

Again, in such a small sample, the data is most likely unreliable, but what can be concluded from the data is that it appears to be a fair margin over being 8% or 9%. Under 17% by over a 1% margin, but in such a small scale, its very likely to happen.

As Meph has a base 4% more chance to miss than me (Enlightened vs Glyph), the results don't seem too far away.

Willing to believe that its very likely that it works off the hit table. Its also very likely that most bosses that have taunt as a required mechanic have it set to melee level (8%). (I still haven't found a combat log in Naxx where I've missed a boss with a taunt with low hit).

I'd like to request someone upload the log somewhere else, but here is the tempory link. http://w19.easy-share.com/1903262909.html
_________________

"Good tankadins know all the fundamental rules of tanking
Great tankadins know when to break these rules" -Passionario