Skip to content
Maintankadin

Frequently *Answered* Questions - Tankadin quickie basics.

steadypal
Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:05 pm
so

SotP + tuskarrs

vs

poj + 22 stam and NO SotP



??
Sadgrinner
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:35 pm

540 defense cap

First, let me say I'm asking in this location since this thread was mentioned as an important 'must read'. The question came up as I pondered a (now locked) thread, started by a poster who didn't seem to articulate his thoughts very well and also didn't display an appropriate level of consideration to the suggestions of other posters, found here: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=19903

Anyway, the question of that failed thread was this: "Why do we need 540 defense when we could stack dodge?" Which obviously was shot down. You must have 540! You must have 540! Were by and large the general responses. (Also, "you've refused to read any of the material we've told you to read!" made a strong showing.)

However... I realized the question/idea has value if stated in a slightly different context. Please bear with me.

Let's assume that a player has 540 defense *AND* is block-capped - this player's combined miss/dodge/parry/block values all come out to over 102.4%. If that user was able to drop some defense rating, thus bringing his or her total to under 540, *YET* that user was able to replace the lost avoidance and mitigation with some other rating (either block, dodge, or parry), thus bringing him/her back above the block-cap (102.4%), then he or she would still be uncrittable.

In the lone case where you can magically reach the block cap without 540 defense, then no, you do not actually need 540 defense to be uncrittable.

Of course, you can only use all of your avoidance when you are facing a mob - you can't dodge attacks from behind, for example. So you could still be crit if you were turned away from a mob and had less than 540 defense.

So we add the final addendum: Assuming you are always facing the mob, and provided you've found some way to reach the block cap with less defense rating than would take you to 540 defense (note that in all likelihood such gear does not exist), you do not need 540 defense to be uncrittable.
Gamingdevil
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:31 am
It probably is possible if you only stack gear with block rating on it. But then the point would be moot, since instead of stacking extra avoidance, you're desperately looking for block. While you could just make sure you're always uncrittable and stack whatever you want untill block cap is reached naturally.

Also, like others have said, there are worst case scenarios where you will get hit through holy shield or other avoidance. You don't want that, you should just stack 540 defense to be sure.
_________________
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Foolosophy
Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:35 pm
Hello all,

After I've been lurking around for quite some time, I thought: lets register and ask a question. I'm an (hopefully) ever-improving paladin who's playing since TBC. I took a little brake just before WotLK and now I'm back and running again. I made my move into Naxx 10 & 25 and tanked quite a few meanies successfully. Surviving and having no threat problems. Although, I'm using 'my own' rotation, but I've lately read that there is a specific good 969 rotation. And here is the thing: I can't really get that one down. Does anyone have a good reference for me? Like an fully updated rotation example?

And I've also read (around here, can't remember where) that judgement comes after ShoR, is this true? I now use it constantly before ShoR because of the extra damage.

Greetings,
_________________
http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Trollbane/Foolosophy/
Mozen
Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:13 pm
HS can fall off if you're delaying your keypresses for too long.

HS > 6 > 9 > 6 > 9 > 6 > HS > ...

To have the next HS up, you will go through 6 key-presses (the last keypress being your HS key). If you delay each for 0.2 seconds, then total dead-time is 1.2 seconds.

HS up for 10s > 6GCDs+1.2s = 10.2s > next HS pressed

So, if you're not tight on your fingers, you will end up seeing the previous HS fade just as you press you key for HS. Raid haste buffs will help with this, so it shouldn't really happen too often.