Skip to content
Maintankadin

Hit Rating - how important is it?

Wolvar
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:12 pm
Didn't make one.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:14 pm
Hmm, I'll have to try on tomorrow's Kara reset. I seem to recall Attunmen being tauntable.

I've got 161 hit rating on gear I have easily accessible, so can try a set of data with 4.91% hit.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm
Also, later tonight I'll try replicating 0 hit / unglyphed taunt strings on Anachronos.

Also, belief has nothing to do with anything in a computer game. It's all math.
_________________
Diocaska
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 am
Okay, I'm a little bored of this whole "it is this because I say so".

Lets get some logs uploaded. I've poked over our WWS, but no-where near enough boss taunts to create a reliable string, but I can note that even undercapped at spell resist level, I don't see a single resist with exception to immune mobs. (Which note they're immune).

So Attumen would be an ideal mob to try this out on correct? Also would the Raptor boss in ZG work? I'll get a holy pally with unglyphed RF. I'll use zero hit, as will he. Will push fight for 15-20 minutes. Should be a large enough sample to give reliable date right?
_________________

"Good tankadins know all the fundamental rules of tanking
Great tankadins know when to break these rules" -Passionario
Wolvar
Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:45 am
Let me summarize.

1. Everything I've read says taunt mechanics (including RD) are on spell hit. Wiki, wow official forums, EJ threads.

2. The RD glyph was the first one I got before the expansion. I've wiped raids to RD misses WITH the glyph on at least two occassions early in Naxx. This hasn't happened in a month or so.

3. Based on subsequent posts, I took off my hit gear, removed the glyph and went and taunted that dragon in Tanaris for 20 minutes and didn't get a single miss. (Over 100 tries) So that implies that either RD has been changed to not miss at all, or that dragon is 100% tauntable regardless of hit rating. I suspect the latter. (Although I haven't yet ruled out the former)

I have no desire to convince anyone either way. (There's entirely too much of that mentality here, i.e. "YOUR DOING IT WRONG!") Merely trying to find things out for my own benefit and sharing the information for anyone to take away whatever they want from it. If you require logs to believe the things I post, then by all means, go replicate what I've done and form your own conclusions.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:48 am
Anachronos seems to have no taunt resistance at all.

http://wowwebstats.com/xqryiakn2pxmw

Used a warrior with 25 hit rating ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43085 ) and myself with 0 hit rating.

About half way through this test I destroyed by RD glyph, so I had 0 hit rating, no glyph.

Still no taunt resists.

So we can't use this mob to test.

Went in to Attunmen ...

1/13 12:31:18.948 SPELL_MISSED,0x00000000000C9143,"Veda",0x512,0xF130003F180007A8,"Attumen the Huntsman",0x10a48,355,"Taunt",0x1,IMMUNE

... who turns out to be immune to taunt.

There's a L83 mob ( http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=32492 ) in Ice Crown, but I suspect it won't function as a "boss mob" either.
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 am
yeah, sorry I didn't see Attumen come up, I've seen plenty of silly mages/warlocks pull aggro and die on the transition there.

The level 83 mob *should* work fine, as for these mechanics "boss" seems to mean "max level + 3". Some people may want more confirmation afterwards, but it'd be a very good place to start.

It's too bad the Drakes are deep in BWL, they're the other guys that come to mind. Noth would probably be relatively easy to test on, but you're now requiring 10 players instead of just 2.

Oooo, idea! I'm 99% sure Doomwalker is tauntable.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
fuzzygeek
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 pm
I thought about Drakes in BWL, but I imagine any fight that has "taunt" as part of their mechanic has a lowered resistance, so I don't know that doomwalker or drakes would be accurate.

I seem to recall Azuregos being taunt immune.

Part of the problem is that any boss that *is* tauntable probably has lowered taunt resistance, and thus unreliable for testing here.

Drakk might be tauntable, but his conflag makes it a pain in the ass to 3box to test.
_________________
Arcand
Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:00 pm
Hydross?
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Viycktor
Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:25 pm
Why not remove all hit gear, remove the glyph, and try it out on regular trash mobs or non-boss elites?

I'm pretty sure there are some in Ice crown that will work well. I may try to give it a shot sometime later this week. But I'm a Draeni, and I need to find a replacement glyph for a reasonable price (both my old guilds transferred off the server for greener PvE server pastures Sad ) so I can actually get some misses.

While specific bosses seem to have specific mechanics (they always have as many old bosses are immune to taunt and apparently others are 100% susceptible) it will at least put to rest the spell vs. melee issue to rest.