Skip to content
Maintankadin

Hit Rating - how important is it?

Wolvar
Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 pm
BTW warriors had the same change in 2.3. Here is the explanation from Wiki. Occam's razor also says they would have done the same thing for pallies.

Patch 2.3.0 (11/13/07): The chance for this ability to land successfully on its target is now increased by hit rating.

However, Taunt remained classified as a spell for the purposes of determining miss rate versus mobs. That means that against a mob 3 levels higher than the player, *Taunt has a base chance of 17% to be resisted (a miss)*. (*Needs reference) There is also a 1% chance to be resisted that cannot be overcome with gear.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:08 pm
I just tested this with another tankadin, both of us glyphed, and at 0 hit rating (eqipped my trusty blacksmith hammer for this).

Here's the combat log:

http://zzq.cc/files/WoWCombatLog-RDtest.zip

About 6 and a half minutes of us taunting, 94 casts.

No misses, no resists.

There is one record of a fail, when I tried to taunt while it was on CD.

1/12 15:48:55.511 SPELL_CAST_FAILED,0x0000000000CDF704,"Shadowyn",0x511,0x0000000000000000,nil,0x80000000,31789,"Righteous Defense",0x2,"Not yet recovered"

I'm going to set up a script with my wife's paladin to taunt this thing back and forth automatically and collect a few hours of data for a larger sample size.
_________________
Arcand
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 pm
If it had a 17-8=9% chance of missing, your chance of going 94/94 should be 0.014%.

If it had a 9-8=1% chance of missing, your chance of going 94/94 would be 38.9%.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Dorvan
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:28 pm
Yep, that's enough to clearly lay the "17% base miss" hypothesis to rest, but it doesn't rule out 9% base miss just yet. Unfortunately, it'll take 460 taunts to rule out 9% with less than 1% chance of error, but if you can script it that'd be great (I won't tell Razz)

Ideally, it'd also be nice to grab a gear set with 7-7.5% hit and show that you *can* get a resist under those circumstances. Thanks for doing the testing while I'm stuck at work fuzzy and saving me the effort Very Happy
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Macktruck
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:57 pm
4 set Dreadnaught said:

Increases chance to hit with Taunt and Shield Slam by 5%

And I remember helping tanks farm for that trinket out of ZG. Sad

Also, with Wrath, we're now able to push that extra 1% off the table whereas we couldn't in Classic and BC. We can now truly be hit capped.

And all I know is, I'd rather have a small chance for taunt to resist than to have the same small % chance to be crit. Lol.
_________________
Wolvar
Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:51 pm
You can't miss with RD on anachronos.
_________________
Wolvar
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:02 pm
I already tried it. 0 hit, no glyph, not a single miss. Traded taunts with a bear for 20 min.
_________________