Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat on Mage sheep

Ariashley
Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am
The first week MgT was out, I ran it a lot on my rogue. Generally, my entire group outgeared the requirements of the instance by a large margin (rogue in combination of T5 and T6).

The room in question really doesn't seem to function entirely on normal aggro rules. The pulls have resulted in a dead enslaving warlock (our usual alternative to a mage) a number of times in that room for no obvious reason and weird LoS issues for healing. As others have said, it seems like there are weird dead zones within the room that are aggro-free. If in them, mobs will not focus on you.

Additionally, the boss encounter in that room doesn't function on normal aggro for sure. I tank that encounter on my rogue more often than not and try to only go to the instance when specced ShdStep for PvP. I always Sap one of the adds for cc and we are usually able to control another with someone in the party. I get the priest on me 95% of the time without anyone being able to pull her off, even without attacking her at all. I've been in there with a T5 paladin and a T6 warrior tanking - the warrior in particular is able to build more aggro on targets without a misdirect than I've ever seen anyone else generate. There is no way that I pulled aggro off him without attacking anything and have literally never pulled off him in an instance before, even when fully buffed running 1500-1900 DPS. In a 5 man where specced for PvP with really no party buffs I might top out at 900 DPS.

The interesting study would be to determine how the mobs decide who to attack. It could be in combat cc use (perhaps that's been given new global threat?). It seems like I pull aggro on a different mob when I stun the target of my attacks. It could be that they have some sort of linked, funky aggro table, based on globals. I am hit capped on my rogue and regerate energy at crazy rates, which generates 0.5 threat per second.
_________________
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Widdox
Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:25 am
I always just pop in my healin gear, we cc what we can and go to town. Arenas 5 man style. Its kinda fun. BOPs, Fears, BoSac, Stun, Toss your Avenger's Shield to snare the target, and heal your butt off.
_________________
Wyleai
Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 pm
I've only done MrT on my resto druid. We usually go in with me, a guild tankadin, and a guild holy priest. Those two were grinding for exalted. The last two slots can be anything.

This is just one encounter where that healing combo really shines. Both of us can instant cast a lot of HoT heals - and I find myself HoT healing the entire group about equally rather than focusing on the tank. A slow cast healer (paladin or shaman) would be more problematic here - you need to be able to react fast and deal with constantly shifting points of attack. A shaman might have chain heal, but things are moving around so fast you might not get the second and third targets you desired.

This is one where on my druid I usually stand near the middle of the room and keep spinning around while spamming clicks on the party target icon bars. The priest just runs around spamming that aura thing they do - Holy Nova I think, but my priest never leveled past 36, so it may be something else.

There isn't anywhere in MrT now where we use CC, but then I've never been there with a warrior or druid tank.
_________________