LONG!!!
@Thels: Your remarks are interesting, particularly the analysis you offer and the frame of reference that you use in doing so. Namely, the "global cooldown" (GCD) with which we are all quite familiar, no doubt. Since all of the abilities that you use in the rotation trigger a GCD, clearly that becomes the unit of measurement, so to speak, and its duration determines how often you can use each ability in the rotation. Although, one must still consider the underlying spell cooldowns of the abilities, too.
Something that I would like to point out is that I have
not been using the "rotation" that Theck, you, and others describe. Frankly, the fly-in-the-ointment is the "filler" signified by the "X" in CS-J-
X-CS-
X-J-CS-
X-
X (repeat). The letter is appropriate since it is customarily used in mathematics to signify the "unknown". In practice, we don't know which such ability follows any CS or J because we don't know which will be off cooldown in the context of any particular implementation of the rotation pattern.
Further, Wrathblood specifies a priority order for them in his OP on the Elitist Jerks Paladin forum, Protection thread (
http://forums.elitistjerks.com/page/articles.html/_/world-of-warcraft/prot-54-ef-you-r84 :
Avenger Shield > Your level 90 talent > Holy Wrath > Consecration (reverse the order of HW and Cons for multi-target fights).
Hammer of Wrath is omitted, although apparently it triggers a GCD:
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=24275 Granted, it is only usable when the target's health drops to 20% or less, but it is often a valuable tool to apply. Also, please note that an AS GC proc is not included with the CS and J HP producers, although it grants 1 HP (3 HP during HA). Like the HoW, you never know when one will happen, but it seems to throw a Monce ("monkey") wrench into the rotation when it does.
To me, at least, in this rotation scheme "X" means "except". Incorporating the exceptions into the pattern takes a lot of time -- scanning buttons to see which are off cooldown, then identifying the one that has priority. In application, I have found that consistently following the "rotation" is next to impossible. This is not only because of the exceptions, but because the most powerful and critical abilities are
not included -- Shield of the Righteous, Eternal Flame and/or Word of Glory are just a start in the current expansion, for we also have situational "raid cooldowns" -- Divine Protection, Divine Shield, GoAK, and Ardent Defender, in particular.
Yes, SotR and EF/WoG don't trigger a GCD, but tracking which is off cooldown, whether enough HP is available, deciding when and whether to use it, and using the keypress or mouse-button to execute it
does take time to do. While one is doing that, continuing the "rotation" is in abeyance. It tends to lead too often to the question, "Okay, now, where was I?"
So I suppose that it works for you. Yep, my mind is not a multi-core CPU, it runs only one process at any given time, and my power of concentration isn't what it was 40 years ago, but I still think ahead 7 - 10 moves while playing chess or Free Cell Pro. It just takes a bit longer. But perhaps I digress.
Then again, perhaps whether one can effectively adopt the "rotation" is largely a matter of having a better UI with appropriately useful addons. Although I have not examined it in detail, apparently the
Weak Auras UI is such a construct.
Since this "rotation" model seldom worked for me in the past, when I began WotLK I investigated a friend's suggestion and began using the
clcInfo, Paladin Protection and Retribution modules, AKA "FCFS Rotation Helper". The former modules now run "standalone". There is a
CLCRet version for Retribution which has been maintained for MoP 5.4, and one for Protection,
CLCProt, which I have been updating and upgrading to be suitable for MoP 5.4. Perhaps you are familiar with it?
Its "rotation" consists of a sequence of "actions" that the paladin chooses to include from among those implemented, such as AS, CS, J, EF, HoW, etc. The actions are in order of priority, from left to right in the command string. The core FCFS algorithm executes at a configurable rate of 10 times per second. It parses the sequence to find the action that has the highest priority that is off cooldown and meets any conditions for its use, such as available HP. The addon also has a feature that enables the player to create "aura buttons" with which to track buffs, debuffs, abilities and item usage, etc.
To conclude: in my experience, the action priority sequences that I have used respectively for Retribution spec and for Protection spec result in output that
generally approximates the current recommended "rotation" as the current "primary" and "secondary" skills, respectively, are displayed to inform the player as to the best one(s) to use. Unfortunately, I have never used any particular tool in an attempt to compare the output of the FCFS Rotation Helper to an automated implementation of the "rotation" as it has been presented, in its particulars, here. So I don't know how they compare in any other way.
That said, using
CLCRet and
Recount, my paladin usually ranks #4 - #8 in Total Damage, and similar other stats, among 17 PCs performing the DPS role in the raids in which I've played.
Thels wrote:While Divine Shield is up, you keep your threat, but you cannot get aggro except by fixates. Reckoning causes the target to fixate you for 3 seconds, (Threat is a value that mobs use to determine who they want to attack. Aggro is having a mob actually attack you. They're related, but not the same thing.) ....
Yes, I've been aware of the distinction between them, but I don't recall reading that Divine Shield prevents a paladin from getting, or keeping, aggro. Whether the PC "has aggro" from a hostile NPC determines whether the PC enters and/or remains in combat. My paladin remains "in combat" while using Divine Shield even if not actually engaged with an opponent, so I suppose that he "has aggro" from some hostile NPC in that context even if it is not the Boss.
Thels wrote: .... For retribution, you also want to dispel Divine Shield the moment you're safe, as it halves your damage output, but if there's heavy AoE going on, it might be wiser to keep it running, especially since Divine Shield prevents you from using Lay on Hands for the next minute.
Right. Ordinarily, though, when I do use Divine Shield the situation is dire enough that I use the entire duration to recuperate and don't do any DPS at all. Although, there are some fights (e.g., with the Celestials), where I have used Divine Shield proactively, and accept the 50% reduction in DPS in order to be immune from damage that would otherwise kill my paladin, when the alternative would be moving out of melee range to avoid it, thus not doing any DPS at all. I'll have to look into whether it is appropriate to cancel it when I have used it in one of those specific situations.
Thels wrote: The issue with raiding is that raids currently have 2 tanks, and Blizzard wants to enforce that both tanks have something to do. For a lot of fights, this results in the boss placing a stacking debuff on the tank, causing the tank to take more and more damage, so you want to have the second tank take over, so the first tank loses his debuffs. ....
That's interesting. I would expect the debuffs on either tank to continue until they expire, if they ever do expire, regardless of whether they are engaged directly with the Boss.
Thels wrote: On some fights, such as Durumu and Iron Qon, it basically means that the second tank is just picking his nose and doing meager DPS to the boss, while he waits for his turn to taunt. ...
My paladin sometimes swaps his one-handed weapon and shield for a two-handed sword, mace or polearm to use in such circumstances. :-)
Thels wrote: If you can manage to reset the debuffs without swapping tanks, you only need 1 tank, and the second tank could then be replaced by a DPS (or switch to a DPS offspec), which means an overall better performance. On Durumu this has the added advantage that you don't have a nasty dot ticking away on a second tank, so it's easier on the healing as well.
Speaking of DoTs, what happens when the Eternal Flame HoT is in progress?
Thels wrote: At 21250 Haste rating, your base haste reaches 50%. (Note that there are buffs to attack speed and spell haste, which causes your melee attacks and spells to have more than 50% haste at this point, but since SoB goes on base haste, we really only look at that.) ....
Eh, asking out of curiousity: which buff(s) to Spell Haste causes "melee attacks and spells" to have more than 50% Haste? I know that an ability such as CS, J or AS is an "Instant cast" spell, but does Spell Haste affect their cooldown? SoB,
per se, reduces the GCD and the specified "Instant cast" spell cooldowns according to Melee Haste.
Thels wrote: For retribution, the same thing applies, but there's something else going on as well, that causes retridins to stop around 40% haste. The thing is, Haste, Mastery and Crit amplify one another, but don't amplify themselves. ....
Right.
Thels wrote: From the sounds of it, you seem to be unable to react quickly to what's going on (It doesn't matter if that's due to player skill, poor PC or poor internet). That does drastically change things. Heck, if you are very slow to react, and it's hard to follow your rotation, you likely don't even WANT haste to begin with. You're likely better off with lots of mastery, followed by dodge. Their passive benefits would help someone with major lag a lot better. Also knowing that you likely won't react in time to a damage spike would mean that it's recommended to keep EF running all the time, though if you usually cast it with only 2 BoG stacks, perhaps SS is the better option for you.
First, why my ability to react to events is constrained does matter, insofar as some things I might be able to change and some things I cannot. I cannot do much about network latency issues, and nothing as to any specific feature of the game software. If
by design the time that the player will have available to react to an event is 5 seconds or less, there is nothing that we can do to change it. The choice is either to play WoW or play another game instead.
That said, whether I can react effectively to any "short response time" event depends first and foremost upon whether I anticipate it. If I "see it coming" then I can assess the situation and be prepared to respond. Anticipation depends upon how well I know the fight. Learning the fight depends primarily upon how many times that I have participated,
i.e., experience, especially in particular, but also in general. The more often the better, insofar as each experience reinforces the prior one(s) the most if a relatively short time has passed since I participated most recently. Resuming a raid a week after a wipe generally is not conducive to learning.
When I cannot respond effectively to such an event despite all of my experience, then that is most often and most likely because of network latency. However, sometimes there seems to be a bug in the software. The bug could be in the game host, or in the game client, or maybe the network that connects them. It may be an intermittent flaw that is only revealed under certain circumstances that are unlikely to occur often. FWIW, it seems that I am the world's foremost expert at finding bugs in software that no one else would ever find, or, if they did, would recognize as a bug. But I don't care to discuss that.
Other than that, the "short reaction time" events that kill my paladin usually are ones that are not part of the "script",
i.e., as described in the Dungeon Journal or other sources, for example, when the tank loses aggro and the boss turns around and oneshots the paladin pounding away with HA and AW behind him. When those happen, whether I can react fast enough depends mostly upon how well-rested I am from the previous night's sleep. But it is really frustrating when I am in top form and there's nothing that I can do about it.
Thels wrote: In general, stunning a mob means it won't attack you for 6 seconds, making it a MAJOR defensive CD. It also stops it from running away for 6 seconds, giving you 6 seconds time to build threat on it. .... Hand of Freedom is seriously awesome, and can be used reactively. Not only does it prevent movement impairing effects to affect you for 6 seconds, it also removes all movement impairing effects already on you. Got caught in some kind of trap? Hand of Freedom and continue running.
Yes, I know about those. I use the Fist of Justice often, but it usually has no effect upon a
raid Boss, and no effect upon most mini-bosses. Oddly, using it sometimes interupts spell-casting or a broadscale attack, but does not appear to effect a "stun" on such a target. It never stops them from resuming a few seconds later.
Regardless, my paladin is not subjected to "movement impairing effects" very often, except those against which Hand of Freedom and Emancipate are ineffective.
By far the most common "impairment" that my paladin suffers, especially as a tank, is a "stun" or one of its relatives, e.g, "silenced", "charmed", "disoriented" or "sleep". The only remedy that I've ever found is
Every Man For Himself, which has a CD of 2 minutes. It also helps if you have at least one priest in Discipline spec in the raid. They don't do huge DPS but they have great buffs, interrupts, and abilities to remove debuffs.
I don't know that I've ever seen an "interrupt rotation" but I have certainly experienced "chain stuns" in PvP, especially.
Thels wrote: Sanctified Wrath and filling out 3 out of 4 GCDs:
Our normal rotation looks like this: CS-J-X-CS-X-J-CS-X-X-repeat. We maximize CS cast, and maximize J cast after that, so 5 out of 9 casts are CS/J, leaving 4 gaps (the Xs). These gaps we fill with our other spells, starting with AS, and followed by HW, HoW, Consecration and the Level 90 talent. There's an X at least once every 3 GCDs, which are the moments where we consume our Grand Crusader buff. ....
When we talent into Sanctified Wrath and press Avenging Wrath, J suddenly becomes the most important button, due to it's CD of only 2 GCDs, which changes our rotation into: J-CS-J-X-repeat. Now you only have an X every 4 GCDs, instead of being 1-3 GCDs from each other. The problem is that Grand Crusader doesn't stack. If we only have room to consume it once every 4 GCDs, there's a much bigger chance that we're wasting Grand Crusader procs, because we got 2 on top of each other, then when we can consume the buff once every 1-3 GCDs.
Hmmm.... I suppose that you're right to assert that using AW with SW changes the rotation to J-CS-J-X (repeat). The problem, however, is not that Grand Crusader "doesn't stack". The problem is that the "rotation" scheme does not incorporate Grand Crusader procs effectively and the problem seems to be inherent. In other words, it is not designed for responding to random events, such as Hammer of Wrath or an AS GC proc, and I wonder how you change the rotation when Divine Purpose issues a proc. How many rotation schemes must the erstwhile paladin player memorize and learn to implement?
This problem does not exist with
CLCProt action priority sequences. Actions include "ef, sor, ss, horwb, asgc, how, howaw," etc., that the traditional "rotation" does not incorporate. This doesn't change the effects that random events have upon the course of play, but it makes them more manageable.
Thels wrote: On protection, I DO macro HA and AW together. Since neither ability is on the GCD, I can press the button and even if only one of the abilities is available, it'll use that ability. .... An easy solution is to have the macro show HA (it is very rare that you want HA but not AW), and then keep a second icon for AW elsewhere on your skillbar. ...."
That sounds like a good idea.
Thels wrote: Note that for retribution, Sanctified Wrath is better than Holy Avenger. ..."
Is it? Maybe I should stop writing posts on Maintankadin long enough to review the EJ Paladin Retribution thread, but, if memory serves, the OP doesn't express a preference for one or the other. I have used SW occasionally for Retribution, but, if memory serves,
Recount did not report any significant difference in any of the "stats" or for any particular fight to distinguish it. Since ret now has Hammer of the Righteous, SW might be preferable for multi-target fights.
With regard to whether SW is more effective than HA for Protection spec in
multi-target situations, I think that we are talking past one another.
Thels wrote: Second, SW forces you to do more single target DPS than HA:
9 GCDs of HA: HotR-J-X-HotR-X-J-HotR-X-X- 3 HotRs, 2 Judgments, and 4 Xs that can be used to consume Grand Crusader, or pop Consecration or Holy Wrath.
9 GCDs of SW: HotR-J-X-J-HotR-J-X-J-HotR- 3 HotRs, 4 Judgments, and only 2 Xs that can be used to consume Grand Crusader. Since you're tanking several mobs, getting at least one Grand Crusader proc every 4 GCDs is quite likely, meaning that you don't even get to place a Consecration...
You overlook that AW with SW lasts 30 seconds, so you have more than just "9 GCDs of SW". With zero Haste, the paladin gets 12 GCDs during the 18 seconds of HA compared to 20 for AW with SW. The fact that GC is likely to proc numerous times during the course of either HA or AW with SW simply reveals the inherent problem of the customary "rotation".
When I first began updating
CLCRet, I took my paladin to the Dread Wastes and farmed many groups of Mantids. The Recount stats for using AW with SW in the context of so many multi-target fights were much better than using HA. Again, though, that could well be so because of my own prediliction for using HA only when there is a strong opponent. It just doesn't seem necessary to use HA against a mob of relatively weak opponents when using AW alone buffs damage enough to eliminate them.
From the perspective of survivability for Protection, though, HA could indeed be appropriate for multi-target fights, if only because the 3 HP per producer makes acquiring and maintaining a strong EF with 5 BoG ever so much likely, regardless of the target(s).
It's been real ... TTYL.